Migraines with an existing medical

U

Unregistered

About a year ago, I had moderate headaches over the course of a few weeks, my GP diagnosed as a routine sinus infection. Took some antibiotics and sudafed, disclosed the visit on the my medical renewal a few months later (class II in anticipation of getting my commercial, I only need class III privileges for now) After that, the headache came back, GP sent me to an ENT who diagnosed it as a septal spur, and did a septoasty to remove it. After a few months the headaches came back more frequent than before and I grounded myself again. ENT sent me to a neurologist, who diagnosed it as status migraine compounded by rebound from NSAIDs and the post-surgical narcotics, and put me on propranolol as a prophalactic. It took a couple of months for it to work completely, but that seems to have done the trick and stopped the headaches. An MRI and blood work came back clean according to my neuro, and I don't have any adverse effects from the beta blockers.

So now what do I do? Can I resume flying on my old medical and just disclose the visits and medication when I renew, or do I need to tear up the old one and see the AME again? If so, what do I need to provide to ensure I pass?

Sadly, Dr Bruce would be along to provide some guidance, but too many wannabe Dr's around so he left for a while. Look at some of the other medical questions, find his replies and his web site, go direct and don't use an alias.

Are you still on meds? Are those meds on the approved list?

Per the FAA Guide for AME's, migraines are disqualifying, and require Special Issuance. As such, per 61.53, you are grounded for any flying requiring a medical certificate until you get a new issuance including consideration of your migraines. See the link below for details.
http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...m/ame/guide/special_iss/all_classes/migraine/

If you are still on the propranolol, you will need a full evaluation and write-up on that before you fly. See http://www.aopa.org/members/pic/medical/certification/heart/hypertension.htm for details.

If you need further assistance, I suggest the AOPA medical help desk -- you are a member, right?

Last edited:
If you're having migraine headaches, see your doctor about a lab test for 25-Hydroxyvitamin D, a.k.a. 25(OH)D. That's the serum level metabolite of vitamin D3. You're likely vitamin D3 deficient and that deficiency is likely contributing to your migraines.

The normal reference range for the serum concentration of 25(OH)D is 30 to 100 ng/mL. Most physicians will say you're normal at 31 ng/mL. However, most migraineurs generally respond to a vitamin D3 dose of 10,000 IU/day. That will result in a 25(OH)D concentration of 60 to 80 ng/mL in 4 to 5 months.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

As CapnRon says, Migraines are a bad word to use on a medical application. You'd better make sure that is what they really are and you need to work with an AME that has a clue (like Bruce) on the next medical. I can tell you that a bad AME can result in months of grounding plus rediculous hoops to jump through even when you don't have a diqualifying condition.

If you're an AOPA member, you might hop over to the Red boards. Bruce is still participating over there. He's a bit ****ed off at this forum right now.

About a year ago, I had moderate headaches over the course of a few weeks, my GP diagnosed as a routine sinus infection. Took some antibiotics and sudafed, disclosed the visit on the my medical renewal a few months later (class II in anticipation of getting my commercial, I only need class III privileges for now) After that, the headache came back, GP sent me to an ENT who diagnosed it as a septal spur, and did a septoasty to remove it. After a few months the headaches came back more frequent than before and I grounded myself again. ENT sent me to a neurologist, who diagnosed it as status migraine compounded by rebound from NSAIDs and the post-surgical narcotics, and put me on propranolol as a prophalactic. It took a couple of months for it to work completely, but that seems to have done the trick and stopped the headaches. An MRI and blood work came back clean according to my neuro, and I don't have any adverse effects from the beta blockers.

So now what do I do? Can I resume flying on my old medical and just disclose the visits and medication when I renew, or do I need to tear up the old one and see the AME again? If so, what do I need to provide to ensure I pass?

Yes, you are responsible for self certification between medicals. If your doctor has declared fit for duty and you are clear of prohibited meds, you are good to go. You may want to however schedule a consultation with your AME and let him know what happenned and find out what documentation you will need to bring in order to avoid deferral next medical.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back