Migraine headaches?

Jeanie

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jeanie
Can a person get a medical with a history of migraine headaches?

As I understand it, it's a special issuance, with a neuro workup. Once the initial is done, the airman may qualify fof the AME-Assisted Special Issuance process for the periodic recertifications.

Put another way, NO, it's not one of the "forget about it" conditions.

As I understand it, it's a special issuance, with a neuro workup. Once the initial is done, the airman may qualify fof the AME-Assisted Special Issuance process for the periodic recertifications.

Put another way, NO, it's not one of the "forget about it" conditions.

Sounds like a "Is it really worth it just so you can fly with a back seat that is usually empty?" condition. :dunno:

I have migraine history, but I have never had to get a special issuance. When I first reported it, the ME asked me to get a note from my doctor about it. After a couple of my medicals, I received a letter from the FAA saying that I can't fly any time I have migraine symptoms.

In my case I have been able to prevent them without drugs, by maintaining regular sleeping habits, and by avoiding overuse of carbonated beverages and caffeine. I don't know if that had anything to do with not being required to get an SI.

It all depends on frequency and severity, and if there is or is not a vsual aura preceeding it. Greater severity -->SI. Lesser-->self ground. But if you take any medciation it's a good bet it's an SI. HEY no Kidding.

Mary (my wife) had a history of migraines. As it turned out, these were hormonally triggered, and a change of birth control pills eliminated them entirely.

She's had her private, without restrictions, since '98.

My advice: Track your headaches. See if they correspond with your menstrual cycle in any way. If so, pursue this tack, as it paid off in spades for my wife.

Good luck!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back