Might be ferrying a cessna 150 next week... tips?

calberto

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Calberto
Hey guys. I got the opportunity to fly a 150 that a friend might be purchasing next week. West virginia to ohio.

Any tips for ferrying planes? Also, any tips for mountain flying? (nothing too crazy, just west virginia).

• I've already made sure he's getting a pre-buy inspection.
  • I'm also going to make sure to get the exact model type to study the poh.
What else do I need to do?

Do you have time in a C-150 or C-152? If not I'd say take it up and practice a little getting the feel of it. I like to do a few coordination rolls and a couple of stalls just to get the feel, then a few trips around the pattern.

Last edited:
Shy of it being a 150hp conversion, they lack a little power, just be smart, stay away from the lee side of mountains, know your go around settings [flaps], have fun!

Do you have time in a C-150 or C-152? If not I'd say take it up and practice a little getting the feel of it. I like to do a few coordination tools and a couple of stalls just to get the feel, then a few trips around the pattern.
I have a ton of time in 172's, but none in 150's/152's. I'll definitely take it around the patch a couple of times. Good thinking.

Shy of it being a 150hp conversion, they lack a little power, just be smart, stay away from the lee side of mountains, know your go around settings [flaps], have fun!
Good thought on the power. I'll pry be doing some aerial photography for the guy in it also. Lack of power is definitely something to watch for taking pictures of houses. Accelerated stalls are definitely something to look out for, and having power is usually a good thing.

I've flown both, though I am still fairly low time.

The C-150/152 speeds are ~5 knots slower than the 172 (speeds for approach and flaps). As mentioned by Steingar above, nothing much to worry about.

Do you have a commercial cert?

If be far more concerned about ensuring that he's fully covered insurance wise than getting sideways with the FAA.

Yes this is the hardest part. You will have to submit a pilot application to his insurance company for them to decide if you are worthy. And yes he should put coverage on even if he doesn't owe anything on it. If you hit someone or god forbid you get hurt your family can take everything he owns and then some.

Fly early in the day, before the thermals get going.

Don't cut over high stuff, stay within gliding range of valleys and similar places to land. You're going to fly over bad-ish terrain in an airplane with an unknown engine. Might think about an EPIRB, or at least having someone who knows your exact route and times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be more cautious than you would in a familiar airplane and file a flight plan. If something goes wrong, you're more likely to be found and helped if you have a flight plan active and/or flight following.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Nothing illegal about ferrying with a PPL as long as no monetary payment is exchanged. For you, the flight could be logged as XC in all honesty. Like others have mentioned, insurance to cover your own butt is the biggest thing in that scenario.

I've been doing a lot of ferryings of planes that have had questionable mechanical states the past few years. The following has managed to not get me killed.

1) Do a thorough pre-flight. Very thorough. Assume the mechanics are trying to kill you.
2) Pick a good weather day. Clear and a million is preferable. You want to stay in VMC at all times and assume the instruments are going to try to kill you.
3) Do a couple laps around the airport at altitude (not T&Gs) before you leave the area. Watch oil pressure.
4) Fly IFR if it's reasonable to do so and you are appropriately rated. Otherwise, get flight following.
5) Carry a 406 PLB.
6) Land after one hour, preferably at an airport with good services. Check the oil and do a thorough walk-around.
7) Carry a notepad to write up squawks you find on the plane (you will find them).
8) Make sure your path takes you near good airports along the way. Know where some of them are.

I realize this plane should be in good mechanical state, but you still shouldn't trust it since it's new to you and your friend.

Skill wise, if you can fly a 172, you can fly a 150. I wouldn't worry about that one bit.

Get some pictures,you'll have plenty of time,just keep an eye on the weather.

Have fun!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Yes this is the hardest part. You will have to submit a pilot application to his insurance company for them to decide if you are worthy. And yes he should put coverage on even if he doesn't owe anything on it. If you hit someone or god forbid you get hurt your family can take everything he owns and then some.

and carrying insurance will not change that. the insurance company pays off the 1M on the policy, walks away and the owner is stuck by the court for the rest of the award.

bob

The Cessna 150's book range exceeds the actual range of the airplane.

Bring a book to read or something, your gonna be going slow

You should be paying attention to the plane, your situation, etc.

Properly done a ferry flight is fun, but it's also a job.

What Ted said, especially that stop after one hour. Refuel and calculate your actual fuel burn at that one-hour stop.

Then don't get anywhere near the edge of that range. I plan for 10gph on my 172 when the highest actual I've seen is 8.5, and 7-8 is normal.

Sit in the damn airplane and make sure you fit. You'll need a really big shoehorn.

I can't sit straight in a 150 unless the window is open.

Go to Youtube, watch the entire series of "Dangerous Flights," then you will be fully prepared and know what to expect.

I would recommend a barrel roll on take off like Hoover used to do. See what she can really do.

I plan for 10gph on my 172 when the highest actual I've seen is 8.5, and 7-8 is normal.

This caught my attention! just curious--are these standard margins? My standard burn is 6 and I factor for 7 and usually run it out 4 hours with a 30 gallon tank. 10 for 7-8 seems way conservative, I would never get anywhere at that rate!

This caught my attention! just curious--are these standard margins? My standard burn is 6 and I factor for 7 and usually run it out 4 hours with a 30 gallon tank. 10 for 7-8 seems way conservative, I would never get anywhere at that rate!
Looking at the performance tables for a 172S, you'll see anywhere from about 6-10 gallons running at the recommended lean mixture. The 6-7 gallon rage, you're only looking at about 50-60% power which is fine if you're looking for an economy cruise. The G1000 is nice because you can lean it very accurately and get a better idea of what your fuel flow is.

Back