Midwest POA Janebruary Lunch February 3, 2024 1200 EST Rick's Boatyard KEYE

Well, if @lprellwitz and I were still flying, we'd definitely be part of the Midwest group, living in the center of the universe and all! :)
@ScottM and @bbchien are Midwest too.
How did I forget dr Bruce? Embarrassing.

Philo, IL is the center of the universe. It says so on the water tower.

They haven't flown for like 4-5(?) maybe more years.

26th is the wife's bday so might not make it. 19th is now out unless you want to show up at KUIN and hopefully celebrate my successful instrument ride.

26th is the wife's bday so might not make it. 19th is now out unless you want to show up at KUIN and hopefully celebrate my successful instrument ride.
I assume you're going with Andy dow?

Man, I’d be in, but based on advice from another PoA thread, I’ll be in Destin!
I’m always up to fly around the Midwest though.

Just an FYI idea. I’m thinking about heading from Burlington, WI to Eagle River this Saturday, early. The plan was to check out the gunshow at the ice arena, just over 3 miles from the airport. Right now fuel is $4.00 at the Eagle River airport.

No I have nothing in mind to buy or sell, looking mostly. I was just gonna wing it getting a ride from the airport, then back. Right now the weather looks great, though a cool start. I’m just getting a little tired of the 20 minute local flights I’ve been doing.

Just throwing out an idea. Without trying I already have transportation lined up.

Last edited:
Damn, that's the first I've heard of this as well. Why aren't you guys in the air?
My last logged flight was returning N284M to Mike when he got his medical back. That was, as EdFred said (scary, I know), June 2017, so almost 4 years ago. Leslie's been out of the cockpit even longer. Our rental place is under new management, and we have other issues too. We hope to get back up there, and are planning to do OSH this year!

My last logged flight was returning N284M to Mike when he got his medical back. That was, as EdFred said (scary, I know), June 2017, so almost 4 years ago. Leslie's been out of the cockpit even longer. Our rental place is under new management, and we have other issues too. We hope to get back up there, and are planning to do OSH this year!

Glad y'all are well, and hope to see you in the air sometime soon! OSH is a bucket list thing that will have to wait another few years, I'll have more time then.

Glad y'all are well, and hope to see you in the air sometime soon! OSH is a bucket list thing that will have to wait another few years, I'll have more time then.

No, no guarantee on tomorrow, I’ll do it this year.

Stopped by Bessie's to pickup our call ahead lunch order (about 12pm) while driving up to Green Lake last Saturday. 4 planes on the ramp that I could see, a full dining room, at least 4 parties waiting for a table, and a 45 minute wait for dine-in. I think the locals are onto it. They said when the weather is nice they've had plenty of fly-in customers. No masks and about the nicest waitresses I've met.
Only con I could think of - How does that men's restroom in the terminal only have one crapper?!?!?

Dropped in at Bessies today around 11:30 and no wait. Fantastic service as always. Tower was totally on the ball. The guy that parked next into me, not so much. Ppphhuuuccck.

C1B9EEA0-27E3-4090-A7F5-7515362688C0.jpeg

Wow! Sorry that happened to you. Hopefully, you got his insurance info.

I got lucky he missed my aileron and counterweight by a couple inches. On field mx, Blackhawk, cleaned it up (on a Saturday! These guys rock!) and no control surfaces damaged so no ferry permit needed. Did a few cycles of the gear while circling the airport, if there was a side load, to make sure that there wasn’t an issue. Now, the insurance tango and scheduling for the full repair.

Dropped in at Bessies today around 11:30 and no wait. Fantastic service as always. Tower was totally on the ball. The guy that parked next into me, not so much. Ppphhuuuccck.

Dang! I hope it gets fixed quickly.

Wayne

View attachment 96978
Ouch! Hope it works out.

Was the guy taxiing or was it pushed into your plane?

Ouch! Hope it works out.

Was the guy taxiing or was it pushed into your plane?
He taxied up and stopped, then saw a better spot ... I guess through my windows :rolleyes:...and pulled into my plane. For the situation the guy was upstanding, called the owner, gave me all the info, apologetic, etc. Bought our meals too. At the end of the day, aviation is still a small community.

I should add, the spicy chorizo and sweet potatoes hash was super tasty. We had ordered but food hadn’t arrived when my plane got smushed. So they boxed it for us, and when we came into sit down later, Bessie’s remade it on the spot so we’d eat fresh.

I’ll meet you guys there if my plane isn’t the shop...but will be parking a bit further away next time.

No. Dayton is definitely a dump.

It may not be super amazing, but it's definitely not a dump. Pretty average, in the grand scheme of things. If you think Dayton is a dump, you've probably just been lucky enough to have never been to an actual dump!

Probably better than the live fire zone aka Chicago.

Cheers
Sigh. No. Sitting at my desk in Chicago now. Chicago is how many 100's of square miles? Of which there's maybe 1% I'd rather not be in after dark.

I've been to Dayton a few times and found it nice enough. And some good peeps hosted fly-ins back in the day ;-)

I'm going to call today and see what they think. I count 14 who say they can make it, which by fly-in math means I should expect about 5. If you haven't posted and you want to show up, please post so we can give them a number.

I'm going to call today and see what they think. I count 14 who say they can make it, which by fly-in math means I should expect about 5. If you haven't posted and you want to show up, please post so we can give them a number.

I’m likely to have one more with me.

Repair is scheduled for July, so I’m in. What time?

Back