Midwest POA Janebruary Lunch February 3, 2024 1200 EST Rick's Boatyard KEYE

Repair is scheduled for July, so I’m in. What time?
10 AM, subject to the restaurant telling me something different. Are you sure you want to go back after your trauma?

10 AM, subject to the restaurant telling me something different. Are you sure you want to go back after your trauma?
Yeah, it should be fine now that I have an entourage of teamsters to shove off any other plane that gets near. I mean, it’s Mooney so they are are small but really passionate!

So I've called Bessie's twice and left messages, with no return call. In other news the forecast for Saturday sucks, at least for central IL. A lot can change by then, though. I'll go unless there's widespread T-storms.

Stationary front with a low pressure centered right on top - nice!

This front is very likely not going to work for me unless the forecast falls on its face.

I’ll be there unless it’s unsafe (T storms). Then again it’s not very far for me.

It’s been a strange 2 weeks of weather and there have definitely been big misses on forecasts, even short term.

Watching the forecast and it looks crappy.

It's improving. Central IL is down to 30% chance of rain in the AM. Janesville is still at 90% chance of rain, but the T-storm chance is low. I'm hopeful.

I wasn't going to plan one for July because of OSH, although if someone else wants to, have at it. I'd be able to make it if it's on the 17th.

@EdFred where is the Mexican restaurant you were talking about being so good? Want to pick a date for an August lunch?

I want to say the typical pattern now is PM storms. We really only get morning storms if it’s something left over from the night before - or frontal. I’m hopeful.

Doh, they added ts to the jvl TAF. Hopefully, that will go away in the morning.

Doh, they added ts to the jvl TAF. Hopefully, that will go away in the morning.
Yeah. It looks doable right up to rfd. We'll just have to see what develops in the morning.

No approaches into Schaumburg, rochelle doesn't open until 11. Clow is about the only option, but it'll be a circling approach.

RFD has oodles of approaches. DKB should have a good assortment. Maybe PWK depending on Wx.

I
RFD has oodles of approaches. DKB should have a good assortment. Maybe PWK depending on Wx.
I was thinking of breakfast alternates ;)

Looking at the brief.....as of now, inclined to try but convection is no bueno for me.....

Tafs lie & liers taf. The storms are already north of the area and won't blow back up until afternoon.

Getting home will be the tricky part. Forecast 200 @17g26, and rw 22 is closed.

Clow is at Min’s but going lower so I will not be able to get back in...:(
Will be at 1C5 for breakfast I’m afraid....

Well, the place canceled my rental just now (without notice) - so now I’m debating whether I have to call and yell at them or give up.

My TAFs went all better so heading on out. Will see what I see when it’s go time in an hour or so.

We bailed this morning after looking at the line of t storms to negotiate, plus mod turbulence the whole route. That line came through here last night and had some impressive lighting.

A great idea thwarted by Mother Nature

I didn't have to eat alone... @masloki & I had a nice breakfast. The flight up was pleasant and good practice.

The flight home... well that was less fun. Got tossed around after center made me descend into the cells that I was going to clear, and then got to land 14L (4/22 is closed) in 220 22g35.

Ah well. Hope to see some of you at OSH.

Sorry to miss you all. I’ll be poking holes in the northern skies during an completely last minute extended 4th weekend (2-5 July), perhaps we’ll run into each other.

Sorry to miss you all. I’ll be poking holes in the northern skies during an completely last minute extended 4th weekend (2-5 July), perhaps we’ll run into each other.

Which part of the northern skies and in what?

Which part of the northern skies and in what?

There’s literally no plan. The company announced the extended free holiday and I immediately booked the club Arrow. Just a couple of airports I’ve always wanted to hit up there. In no particular order: IA23, KDVT, 4R5, 2P2, Beaver, 6Y3, 5D5, KMGN, KMCD again, KDRM… pictured rocks overflight…

Given all of the rain I’ll probably skip grass runways.

My flights were somewhat similar. Shot a beautiful RNAV approach to 22 into JVL. So smooth, Jim didn’t even see me land. Back to Kenosha, actually better weather as I was between layers, but ATC left me about 1000 feet high for the approach and I still needed to slow down. So, as it was a little imc and a little vmc, I road the elevator down at 1200 FPM. Not sure what happened on landing as on the long taxi back it got slower and slower, until I shut it down and saw my left main flat. First time in 10 years I’ve gotten one. Guessing I had a side load, or it was just time, as the leak is at the valve stem.

"Unable."
I really should've. I thought about it but chickened out. I don't understand why he needed me to descend. There was opposite direction traffic 1000' below me, but I didn't see anyone else. I really should've asked for a climb rather than a descent.

Back