Midwest lunch Saturday 5/27?

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
Jann has agreed to go for a flight Saturday for the first time in a long while. (The major problem has been fitting the BF into her weekend schedule...ummm...nevermind) She needs to get her wings back before we head to Gastons.

Anybody wanna meet up?

Lake Lawn (yawn) ? Oshkosh for Friar Tucks? Strongbow Inn and bakery in Valpo?

Re: Midwest lunch Saturday 5/20?

Im flyin the glider tommorow, got to stay within 25 miles of Ames, so if you guys want to come there for lunch Ill buy! But not until I cant stay up anymore, could be mid to late afternoon :)

Have fun

I *might* be interested depending on the distance from RST.

TonyCondon said:
Im flyin the glider tommorow
Ahhh....Well..... it was nice knowing you. :)

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
And dont be spendin our gastons money on lunch tommorow! :) have fun

I can't. Teaching scuba this weekend and then changing the oil Saturday night in the plane for my trip to NC next weekend

There's a Lifeline board meeting and retreat going on in Eagle Ridge on Saturday from 7 to about 2pm. I'm out. Sigh.

I'm at Adam's house right now in Philly. I'm out. Midwest burger runs. Sheesh...you don't know what a burger run is.

After Jann cleared her Saturday schedule for the flight...she had to make a doctor appointment and lo! there was space on her schedule on Saturday. :dunno:

mikea said:
After Jann cleared her Saturday schedule for the flight...she had to make a doctor appointment and lo! there was space on her schedule on Saturday. :dunno:

Priorities, priorities!

Mike, my son & his GF are visting and we're going to LakeLawn tomorrow (Sunday morning). Can she free up Sunday, the brunch is better?

bstratt said:
Mike, my son & his GF are visting and we're going to LakeLawn tomorrow (Sunday morning). Can she free up Sunday, the brunch is better?

Sunday is booked, but we're planning to fly somewhere, probably OVS - Boscobel next Saturday, Memorial Day weekend.

We flew to VPZ for a late lunch at the Strongbow Inn. It was clear but BUMPY. I had a very hard time maintaining altitude. I was a bit nervous with my GPS beeping constantly telling me I was inside airspace. I've flown that route a hundred times. I wasn't in any airspace except GYY and I talked to them. I gotta change the sensitivity of that silly GPS alarm.

Even though I bought gas the FBO called the inn to come pick us up. As we were leaving we hear a guy ask on the unicom if he can get a crew car. They said sure. Musta been the way I was dressed, huh?

The manager tossed her car keys to one of the workers in the bakery who picked us up. When we returned the boss drove us back.

Man, that turkey is GOOD. The soups, too.

mikea said:
Sunday is booked, but we're planning to fly somewhere, probably OVS - Boscobel next Saturday, Memorial Day weekend.

We flew to VPZ for a late lunch at the Strongbow Inn. It was clear but BUMPY. I had a very hard time maintaining altitude. I was a bit nervous with my GPS beeping constantly telling me I was inside airspace. I've flown that route a hundred times. I wasn't in any airspace except GYY and I talked to them. I gotta change the sensitivity of that silly GPS alarm.

Even though I bought gas the FBO called the inn to come pick us up. As we were leaving we hear a guy ask on the unicom if he can get a crew car. They said sure. Musta been the way I was dressed, huh?

The manager tossed her car keys to one of the workers in the bakery who picked us up. When we returned the boss drove us back.

Man, that turkey is GOOD. The soups, too.
Next time you take Jann, climb to 10,000. It was MUCH smoother up there.

mikea said:

Hmmm... If all goes well, my favorite Archer is coming out of annual at Reedsburg that day. I'll probably be getting a lift up there to pick it up, maybe I could meet you at OVS. Won't know for sure until late in the week though. I'm hoping to fly it to KLWC that evening.

What GPS do you have? I never thought of doing that. The GX55 in N8483F can get REALLY annoying coming back home. "Within 10 min of..." and "inside" messages for both "Madison A Class C" and "Madison B Class C" which I think is each chunk of the cake. And, of course, these "urgent" messages always come up when you're on approach and there's an annunciator light in the CDI that's super-bright at night so it's tough to ignore. :mad: I'd love to turn that "functionality" off.

flyingcheesehead said:
Hmmm... If all goes well, my favorite Archer is coming out of annual at Reedsburg that day. I'll probably be getting a lift up there to pick it up, maybe I could meet you at OVS. Won't know for sure until late in the week though. I'm hoping to fly it to KLWC that evening.

Cool! If it goes as per my usual, I'll have to abort for one reason or t'other.

flyingcheesehead said:
What GPS do you have? I never thought of doing that. The GX55 in N8483F can get REALLY annoying coming back home. "Within 10 min of..." and "inside" messages for both "Madison A Class C" and "Madison B Class C" which I think is each chunk of the cake. And, of course, these "urgent" messages always come up when you're on approach and there's an annunciator light in the CDI that's super-bright at night so it's tough to ignore. :mad: I'd love to turn that "functionality" off.

Mine is a Garmin GPSMAP 295. Checking....What I have is ON/OFF each for "Class B, CTA" "Class C, TMA," "Tower, Control Zones," "Restricted Areas," "MOAs," Mode C Veils (AFAIK, that's for showing up on the map - not an alarm), " "Other SUAs" AND "Altitude Buffer." I set the altitude buffer to 100 feet. It was 200 feet. It might not make much difference in quieting it down.

I noticed with WAAS on, the GPS version of altitude was pretty accurate. I wonder how much a difference the alitimeter setting makes. I can't set it in the GPS.

My "favorite" built-in nannyware is the Arrival alarm which beeps as you're on short-short final to tell you that you're there.

Last edited:

bbchien said:
Next time you take Jann, climb to 10,000. It was MUCH smoother up there.
Hmmmmm... I'd have to head 5 - 6 miles in the wrong direction to get clear of the Class B, - barring going way out over the water - and go at 11500 and take some time and fuel getting there. I might try that sometime. I think I like the idea of getting the attention of our friends at C90.

mikea said:

Okay Mike, I booked the plane for Saturday as well. Let me know where you are heading.

Was a "little" bumpy up there today. Long term forecast is for 91 next Saturday.

mikea said:
Keep me in the loop Saturday is pretty good for me. I ether will have a 9am or 4pm appointment at PWK and good chance to hook up somewhere for a lunch outing.

Last edited:
Jann wanted to change to Sunday, BUT WE AREN'T, unless we have bad weather Saturday.

I'll make some calls to warn the Huls we're coming and to make sure the Unique Cafe is gonna be open for lunch.

I wonder if we can get them to open the G.A.R. Civil War museum and/or the Depot Musuem.

http://www.boscobelwisconsin.com/airport.html#info

Last edited:

mikea said:
I noticed with WAAS on, the GPS version of altitude was pretty accurate. I wonder how much a difference the alitimeter setting makes. I can't set it in the GPS.

As I understand it... The altitude readout on a good GPS will be more accurate at higher altitudes then your altimeter.

When you are at the airport and you set your altimeter setting to whatever the ASOS/AWOS/ATIS says it makes your altimeter agree with the field elevation. At standard temperature as you climb out of the airport your altimeter will remain accurate to sealevel. At any other temperature your altimeter will become less accurate due to the changes in the density of the air as you climb.

I'd still personally go by your altimeter as the error is going to be the same as every other pilots altimeter error..Which is exactly what you want..Everyone on teh same page.

mikea said:
Jann wanted to change to Sunday, BUT WE AREN'T, unless we have bad weather Saturday.

I'll make some calls to warn the Huls we're coming and to make sure the Unique Cafe is gonna be open for lunch.

I wonder if we can get them to open the G.A.R. Civil War museum and/or the Depot Musuem.

http://www.boscobelwisconsin.com/airport.html#info

So are we a go?

Saturday forecast is:

Mixed sun and cottony cumulus clouds. SE winds become more south late—but produce lakeshore cooling (70s for highs). Local near 90° highs Fox Valley and west.

going to boscobel? If that is downwind of ames, i might make it :) but wind is probably going to take me due north, i think.

smigaldi said:
So are we a go?

Saturday forecast is:

Mixed sun and cottony cumulus clouds. SE winds become more south late—but produce lakeshore cooling (70s for highs). Local near 90° highs Fox Valley and west.
We're a go...until something else grounds me as per usual.

Sorry Mike. I was planning on going along (and meeting Jan for the first time) but I'm now going in the opposite direction. We got invited to a co-workers BBQ Saturday afternoon at their summer place on Lake Michigan so I'll be flying to Michigan City.

smigaldi said:
What time, noon?

And if need be you can ride with me

Yeah, we'll aim for lunch at Noon. and wandering the town and the airport afterwards. It would be cool to go get some Monfort cheese from the factory but I think that's pretty far away.

It's now predicited to be HAZY. Sorry, it's me. We can't get CAVU unless it's as bumpy as a Chicago alley.

mikea said:
Yeah, we'll aim for lunch at Noon. and wandering the town and the airport afterwards. It would be cool to go get some Monfort cheese from the factory but I think that's pretty far away.

It's now predicited to be HAZY. Sorry, it's me. We can't get CAVU unless it's as bumpy as a Chicago alley.

I am a definant go. I have a 9am Coast Guard thing at Palwaukee to take care of but can easily head out to the lunch site after that and arrive with time to spare.

smigaldi said:
I am a definant go. I have a 9am Coast Guard thing at Palwaukee to take care of but can easily head out to the lunch site after that and arrive with time to spare.
We'll due to launch a little after 10 AM, provided Jann can find the airport on her own. Let's try to muster at the FBO and share one crew car for a lunch around noon.

UPDATE! We HAVE TO CHANGE THE DESTINATION! The Huls will not be there this weekend so we can't get the courtesy car to get into Boscobel. Sorry about that. I should have called earlier.

So where should we go? Oshkosh? Janesville?

Last edited:
mikea said:
We'll due to launch a little after 10 AM, provided Jann can find the airport on her own. Let's try to muster at the FBO and share one crew car for a lunch around noon.

Looks like I'm pretty much out. I'm still sitting in Newark waiting to get loaded. New Jersey sucks. :mad:

We should schedule Boscobel again for next weekend, although you guys were just next door in Prarie Du Chen.

smigaldi said:
It is about the same as Oshkosh. It sounds fun.
Yeah. I've been to one of their chili fests before. Nice place. Those airports that have active and friendly EAA chapters are fun. West Bend is another one.

mikea said:
If anybody cares, we're going to Charlies at Clow.

http://www.clowairport.com/Charlies.php

Got your message with the change of venue but I had headed to Y50 for the Clucken Farten. It was great, good chicken and plenty of beans. They had four types and each was very good. Flight home was a little bumpy but all in all I spent 3 hours flying around.

Chi-TRACON lived up to its rep when I wne tot depart PWK. Ground hold for 15 minutes then after take off on Runway 16 a right turn to a heading of 040 (my on course was 320) until the lake front then 360 until north of MKE then I could turn on course. I did get my altitude of 6000 and was in the Class B most of the time.

Was pretty hazy most of the way there but got better the farther north we went. Cancelled IFR about 20 miles SE of Y50.

How was Clow?

smigaldi said:
Got your message with the change of venue but I had headed to Y50 for the Clucken Farten. It was great, good chicken and plenty of beans. They had four types and each was very good. Flight home was a little bumpy but all in all I spent 3 hours flying around.

Chi-TRACON lived up to its rep when I wne tot depart PWK. Ground hold for 15 minutes then after take off on Runway 16 a right turn to a heading of 040 (my on course was 320) until the lake front then 360 until north of MKE then I could turn on course. I did get my altitude of 6000 and was in the Class B most of the time.

Was pretty hazy most of the way there but got better the farther north we went. Cancelled IFR about 20 miles SE of Y50.

How was Clow?

That's what I get for making a suggestion. :p I need to watch the schedules and plan to come out for that next year or whenever.

The haze wasn't as bad as it looked from the ground. I easily had 6-7 miles visibility but it was still hard to spot things like DuPage airport as far away as expect it see it usually.

I'd never been to Clow before. One of my co-workers lives in Bolingbrook and joined those lobbying for the village to buy the airport. He volunteers for the Illinois Aviation History Museum.

The funny thing is imagined it was laid out the other way, with the taxiway and buildings on the west side. I knew from overflights there was Wal-Mart under the approach to 18. What I didn't notice was the water tower just west, the Home Depot, the Mejiers, and the Best Buy you could pretty much taxi to.

I went out 2 few miles to enter downwind for 18 on the 45. It was intimitidating dodging antenna towers, power plants with smokestacks, and another airport very close.

We saw more Diamonds then I've ever seen in one place. The pattern got busy occasionally. At one point there were 2 Skyhawks, a Cub, and a Cherokee all in the pattern for landing at the same time. Needless to say the Cub didn't overtake anybody.

Charlies was nice. It was pretty empty at 12:45 or so when we got there. We had salads. We gotta go back for breakfast soon.

Back