Midwest Fly In part 2?

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
last october we had a really wonderful fly in at Ames. I just watched jesse's video again. he was asking me the other day. anyone want to do it again? i suppose we could do Ames again, its fairly central for a lot of people. I wont be living there though but i suppose i could fly over or something. whats the interest level? last year was the last weekend in Oct. which seems pretty reasonable considering that many will need a break for a bit to recover from Labor Day at 6Y9. weather is usually a tad chilly but not snowy or anything.

yes it probably would be fun Scott, thats why im thinking it needs to be repeated.

yes it probably would be fun Scott, thats why im thinking it needs to be repeated.

I mean I would want to participate and agree it is a good thing. I just have some commitment issues since we have not set a date. I think I have to be in Taiwain one week so that will blow at least one weekend for me. Plus I have to get down to Florida for a visit to my step dad and make sure he is ok and that will blow another weekend. Then there is Coast Guard stuff happening as well and I have not even seen my September flight schedule for that yet. As it is now my next weekend off is labor day for 6Y9 then nothing until October.

of course there will be cookies.

seems like jason and jesse are PoA's newest couple. Tristan and jason's wife will be jealous.

October 27 a problem for anyone?

seems like jason and jesse are PoA's newest couple. Tristan and jason's wife will be jealous.

I'm thinking that much earlier in October would be more likely to come with decent weather.

ok i dont think ive got anything going the 13 or 20th. first weekend is out for me.

the weather for the entire month could include any of the following:
temps from -10 to 80 degF
snow or rain
gale winds or big high pressure systems and severe clear
low IFR for weeks

its just a complete crap shoot. we pick a date, then hope

I'm pretty sure I'm headed back up that-a-way around Halloween weekend (to Portage that is).

Best,

Dave

that would be the 27th. itd be cool to have you stop in Dave. dont you usually go up on Friday and back on Sunday though? Ames is even further west than Cedar Rapids...

I was wondering when we were gonna have it! :yes:

Will there be a glider available? :D

It seems like there's lots of PoA fly-ins now... FlyBQ in May, Gaston's in June, July off for OSH, August to recover from OSH, 6Y9 in September, IA in October...

And I'm really really gonna get the PoA Ski-plane weekend going this year. Really. :rolleyes:

Gliding in late October? in Iowa?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

you show your ignorance Ed. fall can be excellent soaring weather if the temp and dewpoint are where they need to be. it does not have to be hot. i did my 5 hour duration in early april on a day when the high never got above 50 degF. and even if the soaring is lousy, it will still probably be nice to give intro rides in the gliders. we will have to work something out with the club to avoid the insurance hoops.

Im going to make the executive decision and declare the fly in to be centered around October 27. I will be in town friday to sunday. I am not living in Ames this fall though so I wont be able to house people for the weekend :(

Chris and I will be around that weekend, as far as I know. Sounds like fun :)

Gliding in late October? in Iowa?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Dude, we did it last year. :yes:

We had lots of lift from all the hot air you generated bitching about it being too far away. :D

Chris and I will be around that weekend, as far as I know. Sounds like fun :)

Wow.. I MUST be working too much these days -- Rachel is beating me to posting on PoA.

As she mentioned - I see no reason why we won't be around that weekend. I think I have the brat cooking under control these days, so that is an option for a fly-in lunch type deal. Unfortunately, our living quarters are quite cramped, so we can't really offer much for sleeping arrangements, but we can provide ground transportation around town.

Admit it Tony, YOU'RE the jealous one... ;)

I'll try to make it but have to see whats going on closer to date.

ok the 27th it is. Ill talk to Haps this weekend about some hangar space for the food and whatnot like last year. Looking forward to seeing you all!

:( Wish I could come, but I've promised hubby Florida in October.

thats OK Kaye, you coming to 6Y9 satisfies you're requirement for flying half way across the country for a fly in :)

I'm just using him to obtain half price rental bills to/from fly-ins.

The IAR is in for "condition inspection" first week in Oct, if it passes muster AMW might be a good post-mx shake down flight.

thatd be great Steve.

Hap's is now the city FBO at Ames, they got the contract back in July. I will talk to them about what hangar availability will be for the people who overnight and desire to be indoors. there are tons of tie downs on the ramp for the outdoors types.

that would be the 27th. itd be cool to have you stop in Dave. dont you usually go up on Friday and back on Sunday though? Ames is even further west than Cedar Rapids...

Yea, but if there's an event, I could come up Friday or stay Sunday and leave that evening or the next morning. The girls don't usually break loose until late Friday. I leave around lunch time on Sunday. Any way to work around that would be fun.

Best,

Dave

Actually, Peoria IL would be a GREAT location for the event. We not have a pretty inexpensive AmericInn within walking distance, an inexpensive but nice italian restaurant w/i walking distance, a Panera, etc. I think it's more central but I...."wouldn't be able to fly there!"

you'll have to host the next one Bruce. a good idea actually so that you would be able to stay close to the office and still make the fly in.

Back