Midway 8 SID

C

c12345

Departing Chicago Midway KMDW my IFR clearance was the Midway 8 SID. The clearance delivery controller said my heading would be assigned by the tower. Prior to takeoff tower said left turn 090 cleared for takeoff. After takeoff at about 1000 MSL tower said turn left 090 and report in the left turn, shortly after I was told to contact departure. Was I expected to turn sooner than I did? The wording on the SID is:

TAKEOFF RWY 31C: Climb heading 315° to 1500 before turning, thence. . . .

I was planning on turning at 1500, but since the tower gave me a heading even though it was before takeoff does that mean I don't need to follow the SID any longer?

Departing Chicago Midway KMDW my IFR clearance was the Midway 8 SID. The clearance delivery controller said my heading would be assigned by the tower. Prior to takeoff tower said left turn 090 cleared for takeoff. After takeoff at about 1000 MSL tower said turn left 090 and report in the left turn, shortly after I was told to contact departure. Was I expected to turn sooner than I did? The wording on the SID is:

TAKEOFF RWY 31C: Climb heading 315° to 1500 before turning, thence. . . .

I was planning on turning at 1500, but since the tower gave me a heading even though it was before takeoff does that mean I don't need to follow the SID any longer?

you done good:wink2:

So was I expected to climb to 1500 before turning? If so why did tower tell me a second time to turn, he had already given the heading prior to takeoff.

For those unfamiliar...
http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1303/00081MIDWAY.PDF
2. After an aircraft is established on an SID and subsequently vectored or cleared off of the SID or SID transition, pilots must consider the SID canceled, unless the controller adds "expect to resume SID." Aircraft may not be vectored off of an ODP until at or above the MVA/MIA, at which time the ODP is canceled.
This is a radar vector SID, not a pilot nav SID. Tower gave you a heading per the SID, so I do not think you were "vectored or cleared off of the SID" (in which case the SID would be canceled). I would still wait for 1500 to turn unless tower said something like "turn left now", and then maintain 3000 until otherwise assigned.
So was I expected to climb to 1500 before turning? If so why did tower tell me a second time to turn, he had already given the heading prior to takeoff.
Hard to say why tower gave you the same heading twice -- maybe s/he didn't think you got it the first time. :dunno: But I would still not view this as being "vectored or cleared off of the SID."

Last edited:
For those unfamiliar...

This is a radar vector SID, not a pilot nav SID. Tower gave you a heading per the SID, so I do not think you were "vectored or cleared off of the SID" (in which case the SID would be canceled). I would still wait for 1500 to turn unless tower said something like "turn left now", and then maintain 3000 until otherwise assigned.
Hard to say why tower gave you the same heading twice -- maybe s/he didn't think you got it the first time. :dunno: But I would still not view this as being "vectored or cleared off of the SID."

A heading wasn't issued as part of the SID clearance given to me by clearance delivery, but they did say tower would assign it. Since tower gave me the heading wouldn't I consider that a vector by ATC which would cancel the SID? This same scenario has happened at this airport at least twice to me. When tower tells me to fly 090 for a second time it makes me think I did something wrong, but I would expect them to say something like "start your left turn" which they didn't. I forgot to mention that on my read back after takeoff when tower said to turn and report in the turn, I didn't read back the "report in the turn" part so he repeated that to me again. I think next time I am just going to ask the controller if he wants me to climb to 1500 before starting the turn.

For those unfamiliar...

A heading wasn't issued as part of the SID clearance given to me by clearance delivery, but they did say tower would assign it. Since tower gave me the heading wouldn't I consider that a vector by ATC which would cancel the SID? This same scenario has happened at this airport at least twice to me. When tower tells me to fly 090 for a second time it makes me think I did something wrong, but I would expect them to say something like "start your left turn" which they didn't. I forgot to mention that on my read back after takeoff when tower said to turn and report in the turn, I didn't read back the "report in the turn" part so he repeated that to me again. I think next time I am just going to ask the controller if he wants me to climb to 1500 before starting the turn.

Yes, wait till 1500, then turn
runway heading off of 31C is our heading into the BENKY1 Arrivial which is a downwind for 28 at KORD...tower was probably just making damn sure you knew to turn..see the note for DME/NON DME aircraft on when to make that turn (at the bottom of the plate)

Back