Mid air

The lower plane pulled up. Watch the nose and wing attitude.

Both very lucky to survive with minimal damage to the planes.

Last edited:
And.... The $25,000 question...

Who had the right of way.

'Cause the other guy's insurance is paying... Heh.

Formation flight is complex. Don't attempt it without a thorough on-the-ground briefing.

Who had the right of way.
Under FAA rules, the plane in front, as the plane behind was overtaking.
91.113 said:
(f) Overtaking. Each aircraft that is being overtaken has the right-of-way and each pilot of an overtaking aircraft shall alter course to the right to pass well clear.
One assumes Dutch rules are the same, but I haven't done the research to be sure.

Was that a result of a poorly executed Dutch roll?

That wasn't formation flying, that wa hot dogging and being stupid. They are lucky.

That wasn't formation flying, that wa hot dogging and being stupid. They are lucky.

I believe the lead aircraft of the formation is off to the left in the video.

The text says the camera aircraft was in formation with a DIFFERENT banner towing aircraft.

Why the video camera wouldn't be pointed at the lead, I don't know. Something smells fishy.

...and appropriate training from qualified personnel. This isn't something you can safely teach yourself "on the fly."
Four-hour briefing for a 30-minute flight, if I remember correctly.

When towing gliders, you have the right of way. Does that apply to banners ?

looked intentional to me

Did the 172 pilot try to buzz the other plane because it pulled a banner advertising a political party?

Sounds like an excellent time for a "Knock it off" radio call, RTB and fly the photo mission later. Sheesh.

Back