Mid -air near Whistler BC kills 4

Only reason I can think that a glider would catch on fire after a crash is that it has a self-launch or sustainer engine. Even then the engine is unlikely to have been running to have been an ignition source.

Also, a C-150 seems an unlikely tow plane (unless someone knows differently) so I'm skeptical that speculation is accurate.

One of my favorite and most beautiful parts of North America. I wish their families my best and may those involved RIP!

Those darn glider pilots! Always playing with their gadgets and watching TV! We need to keep our heads on a swivel and outside the cockpit people!!

Eyes outside + big sky + low probability = this will never happen to you. :rolleyes:

Those darn glider pilots! Always playing with their gadgets and watching TV! We need to keep our heads on a swivel and outside the cockpit people!!

Eyes outside + big sky + low probability = this will never happen to you. :rolleyes:
Yes, obviously somebody was lax with their scan. Airport is only a couple of miles to the east; one or both may have been arriving or departing the pattern.

Only reason I can think that a glider would catch on fire after a crash is that it has a self-launch or sustainer engine. Even then the engine is unlikely to have been running to have been an ignition source.

Also, a C-150 seems an unlikely tow plane (unless someone knows differently) so I'm skeptical that speculation is accurate.
Lot's of speculation there. The comments contain even more.

As a data point independent of this accident, I did most of my glider training towing behind a 150-150. That is, a C150 with a 150hp engine towing Schweizer 2-22, 2-33 and (the 3 place Schweizer). Worked well.

Back