Mid-air avoidance

Yeti Niner Five

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Yeti Niner Five
Had something happen on Friday and wondering what (if anything) I should have done differently. I was flying a J3. I had a handheld radio, but for some reason, I couldn't get the transmit to work through the headset. Still, I could hear the CTAF and is was good for SA.

Winds were out of the north, 11-16 kts. I was doing laps working on 3-pointers. I heard a 172 call entry into downwind. Then, as I'm raising the tail on my takeoff, he calls base. The problem is, he's actually halfway through his base and about to turn final, going the wrong way! He was landing with the tailwind.

My options, continue the roll and depart, taxi off the runway, or make my way to an exit point (a significant distance).

I elected to go. The cub got off quickly. I was able to liftoff, sidestep and gain about 500 ft. He touched down as I turned left on crosswind. In the end, we never were that close. But it was enough to have me thinking about it days later.

So, what do the wise sages of POA think? What should I have done? What would you have done?

Without being there, I can't really say. Obviously a radio that works would help. I believe that I would have exited the runway, either in the grass or the first turnoff, whichever was prudent. I don't want to play chicken climbing out.

Agree that keeping it on the ground might have been the most conservative action. If the other plane saw you rotate and climb and took evasive action, it could have devolved into the dreaded "stutter step".

But breaking off a takeoff roll is incredibly difficult to do - there's a powerful psychological impulse to get into the air, and then later rationalize the "decision" to do so.

DAMHIK!

Yes, hard to say, but it sounds like you had already rotated. I've never flown a Cub, and model and ground speed makes a big difference, but I can say that in my Cardinal, the safest thing to do at that point would have been to continue the takeoff and sidestep as you did, as long as there was room. Having said that, on a short runway with obstacles on either side, this might not go very well. The real lesson should be to not assume that traffic will be where you expect it to be, and to scan both ends of the pattern until you positively have the traffic in sight. Considering the possible outcome here, the best time to spot someone landing the "wrong" way is before you even cross the hold short line.

If he was landing with a tailwind,against traffic ,I would have exited the runway. Once your airborne you can't gaurantee what he will do if ,he sees you last minute.

I think you guys are probably right. I should have just pulled off in the grass. Lesson learned. It worked out ok this time, but could have been different.

I actually met the guy later. He was a non-US pilot in the states for training. Nice guy and apologetic.

I think the takeaways are to always be looking for traffic, everywhere. And don't be hesitant to yield ROW.

Since none of us were there and know the exact conditions at the time, like runway length and width, sod or paved, where the next upcoming taxiway was, none of us can give you an exact answer to your question. We can only give you our opinions, some of those may be good and some bad, you'll have to decide that.

The cons of staying on the runway and trying to stop and get off are that in your haste you may have ground looped and disabled yourself on or near the runway, now you're a sitting duck with Mr. blind as a bat 172 on a short final.

A Cub comes off the ground pretty quick and then you'll be able to turn right and side step and keep the 172 in sight. You said you climbed to 500' then turned crosswind, was that when he passed you? If so, then that was a minute or more at Cub climb rates, doesn't sound that close to me.
Sometimes stuff like that happens at smaller fields, not all pilots are competent or aware.
Flying a Cub type of aircraft teaches you look out for yourself more than normal, some pilots just don't have any idea of the limited capabilities or the speed differences of these types of planes.

Along the same line, had a radio less 172 land here while a training 150 was on base to final. He missed the taxiway exit so he rolled down the runway to the next one. The student pilot didnt see the radio less 172 but knew there was another plane talking in the pattern. He laid on the brakes after he saw but they didn't hit fortunately. Might want to start looking behind you on the rollout too!

Tailwheel, power up and tail up? Keep going, keep it low, and turn off runway heading (exit stage right) as soon as safely possible.

Trying to get the tail back down, and slow enough (braking and not doing a nose stand) to taxi clear can take more room (runway) and risk than needed to fly. Especially if you cannot just "clear into the grass" and need to get to a taxiway. Trip over something hidden in the grass and damage the airplane. "Pilot failed to maintain directional control and exited the runway."

Trying to get the tail back down, and slow enough (braking and not doing a nose stand) to taxi clear can take more room (runway) and risk than needed to fly. Especially if you cannot just "clear into the grass" and need to get to a taxiway. Trip over something hidden in the grass and damage the airplane. "Pilot failed to maintain directional control and exited the runway."

But no midair! :yesnod:

Referring back to the thread title, of course!

Was he announcing the runway number?

I think he may have announced it when he called base. That's when I became fully aware of what was unfolding.

By then, I was power up and tail up. Also, to answer some of the other questions, it was a 6,000' paved strip. Waaaaaay more than needed. So, in reality, it really wasn't that close. But it was enough of an issue to get my attention.

He stayed in the pattern for a while afterwards, this time the correct direction. I certainly had my eyes on him after that. It was a good lesson.

I agree as well, I would have aborted the takeoff and stayed on the ground, rather than fly upwind toward oncoming traffic. It is hard to say for sure since I wasn't there. Dont sweat it though, we all make plenty of mistakes to learn by.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back