Microburst at the AF Academy

Yipes.

One of those reflexive responses where hopefully good training kicks in without having to think it through.

Hard to argue with the results - looks like everyone did fine and only maybe one scraped wingtip.

I think it was a good call by those pilots. I don't think I would have had the foresight to take off. I may have just tried to hold it on the ground, and possibly flipped because of it.

I think it was a good call by those pilots. I don't think I would have had the foresight to take off. I may have just tried to hold it on the ground, and possibly flipped because of it.

+1. Kudos to the guy who got blown downwind but never stopped flying and never gave up.

Why are they trying to fly that day, let alone tow gliders?

Glider pilots are a hopelessly optimistic lot. We spend a lot of time on the ground looking at the sky thinking it will get better in 30 minutes. It looked to me like they had already suspended operations everyone seemed to be on the ground.

Then these are Air Force Cadets they are being trained to complete the mission and playing it safe means firing a second missile in case the 1st one misses. :)

Brian

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back