Micro VG PIREP

Yellowbird

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Yellowbird
I ordered a set - they will be installed during the repaint next month.
A can't yet vouch for the aerodynamic benefits, but at least the packaging is impressive:
Everything comes in a nice cardboard box.
IMG_0870.jpg

Don't mind that the box was crushed a little during shipment - there's enough bubble wrap inside to protect the occupants.
IMG_0871.jpg

First is a slick glossy folder containing all the paperwork you will need: STC, 337 (in triplicate!), and a very thorough installation manual.
IMG_0872.jpg

The VGs are neatly packaged in plastic cases, bubble wrap inside and out.
IMG_0873.jpg

They are little gems of extruded aluminum, and are pre-alodined for your convenience.
IMG_0874.jpg

The smaller ones are for the wings and stabilator, and the larger ones are for the vertical stabilizer
IMG_0876.jpg

To aid in installation, you get pre-cut self adhesive vinyl templates (in a color coordinated mailing tube!)...
IMG_0879.jpg

...and enough glue to do the job, with an extra packet to handle any emergencies that may come later.
IMG_0877.jpg

And my favorite part. You truly get everything you would need to install, including a scotch-brite pad to scuff up the surface, Q-tips to apply the adhesive, rubber gloves to protect your manicure, and to aid in marking the locations, a tape measure, a roll of masking tape, an Excel hobby knife with a #11 blade, a spool of fine string, and a sharpened #2 pencil.
IMG_0878.jpg

Last edited:
Impressive. So easy - even a caveman could do it!

I assume the templates have cutouts in them where the VGs will go, either so you can mark the area or actually apply the VG, and then pull the template off.

They've obviously figured out that the little things (like a pencil!) will make you happy that you just spent $1.5 AMU's on a little bit of aluminum and glue with no moving parts. :D :rofl:

(Yes, I know how useful they are - But really, when you think about it, the prices we pay for such things in aviation are absurd!)

You'll like the effect they have on your aircraft, if they behave anything like the VGs on mine.

The only complaint I have with mine are-- They are knuckle busters when it comes time to wax the plane!

Back