Michigan Flyers?

R

rc30rider

So as a new pilot, I'm wondering who else is on this board and flies out of the metro-Detroit area. Would love to get some local knowledge about destinations, flight clubs, and just meet some other area pilots. So, who's out there and what do you fly???

I am based in Illinois but I do a lot of Michigan flying. Mostly to Traverse City though so I do not get to the east side often. Ed and Barb post on here (you already heard from Ray) both of them are Michigan based.

Hi There
I fly out of Hastings Mi., Michigan is pretty small if you fly.The last two weekends we flew up to Roger's City and Cheboygan,then the next weekend to Newberry and Grand Marais in the U.P. Colors were great! They were each just for the day. Unfortunately the weather this weekend is BLAHHH !
I've got to put the pitch in here.
A lot of the other POA er's have flown up to 6Y9 for our Fly-In on Labor Day Weekend. So next year practice your shortfield T.O. and landings and come on up to the 4th annual Prickett Grooms Airfield Fly-In.
I can't promise the good weather :nono:that we've enjoyed the last three years but I can promise you a good time with good pilot's that show up.:smilewinkgrin:
I fly a Cherokee 180, a pilot since Feb,2008,and have a whopping 150hrs. under my belt.
Where do you fly out of? Metro Det. is a big area.
What do you fly?
Brad

I wasn't going to post originally because you only asked for people in the Detroit-metro area . . . but since others are chiming in. I'm a Michigander pilot based out of Grand Rapids (spitting distance from el con and EdFred). Closest I've been to Detroit flying was into Toledo Suburban just outside the Class B.

If you're going to fly somewhere and want some company when you get there make sure to post it on these boards. Usually someone will be able to meet up with you.

Geez. I didn't know about the 6Y9 fly-in. I live in IMT. I could almost throw a stone to Sidnaw.

Alternatively VLL and PTK. Working on the IR now at VLL in a 172, but looking at flying clubs in the area (2 in particular) that have a mix of 172/182 and Archer/Dakota. I plan to do a lot of travel back and forth to Chicago, and also northern Michigan, so anyone that ever looks to share rides in that direction, let me know.

Hi There
I fly out of Hastings Mi., Michigan is pretty small if you fly.The last two weekends we flew up to Roger's City and Cheboygan,then the next weekend to Newberry and Grand Marais in the U.P. Colors were great! They were each just for the day. Unfortunately the weather this weekend is BLAHHH !
I've got to put the pitch in here.
A lot of the other POA er's have flown up to 6Y9 for our Fly-In on Labor Day Weekend. So next year practice your shortfield T.O. and landings and come on up to the 4th annual Prickett Grooms Airfield Fly-In.
I can't promise the good weather :nono:that we've enjoyed the last three years but I can promise you a good time with good pilot's that show up.:smilewinkgrin:
I fly a Cherokee 180, a pilot since Feb,2008,and have a whopping 150hrs. under my belt.
Where do you fly out of? Metro Det. is a big area.
What do you fly?
Brad

Up until June, I was instructing out of 3my in Peoria. Now I am living near Grand Haven airport (in Western Michigan) and working at the Muskegon Airport (just not flight instructing anymore).

I am looking for a student or two just to keep in the flying game though....

(Sorry about the shameless advertising....) :fingerwag::fingerwag:

--Matt Rogers

I fly out of Gladwin(north of Saginaw and Midland). Dave2 flies out of VLL and is retired so he supposedly has alot more time to fly.

Barb

I fly my RV7A out of Ray Community airport (57D) and it is a great place to come and hang out on the weekends if you like just hanging around and shooting the breeze. The terminal building was recently re-done, and the local EAA chapter (13) also has a newly renovated hangar.
I also instruct at Troy airport (VLL). We have a couple of G1000 equipped C172's (go to TroyAirExperience.com for more info). There are also a number of flying clubs at VLL.

Dennis Glaeser

I fly my RV7A out of Ray Community airport (57D) and it is a great place to come and hang out on the weekends if you like just hanging around and shooting the breeze. The terminal building was recently re-done, and the local EAA chapter (13) also has a newly renovated hangar.
I also instruct at Troy airport (VLL). We have a couple of G1000 equipped C172's (go to TroyAirExperience.com for more info). There are also a number of flying clubs at VLL.

Dennis Glaeser

Quit Troy, There is a much better school operating out of Ray. (Berz)

Not from MI anymore but was once. Learned at Troy untill Berz moved to Ray. Luckly I was done before the move. Flew out of 1D2 and got my tailwheel at PTK (also good Sutton Aviation)

Be careful of the clubs at Troy and do a full checkout before you write the check, I've heard some bad stories (but that could probally be said of any club)

On the topic of good places to fly... Maple Gove... great little grass strip. Like stepping back in time.

Last edited:
Quit Troy, There is a much better school operating out of Ray. (Berz)
Not from MI anymore but was once. Learned at Troy untill Berz moved to Ray. Luckly I was done before the move. Flew out of 1D2 and got my tailwheel at PTK (also good Sutton Aviation)
Be careful of the clubs at Troy and do a full checkout before you write the check, I've heard some bad stories (but that could probally be said of any club)
On the topic of good places to fly... Maple Gove... great little grass strip. Like stepping back in time.

I have my RV7A based at Ray and I did my BFR in August with Todd Yuhas (his first ride in an RV). He runs a great operation at Ray.

Lots has changed at Troy. The 'old' flight school at Troy (Metroline) has been gone for a few years.

I'm the chief instructor for Troy Air Experience which started operation in April of 2007 with a new 172S (G1000). We now have 2 planes and 4 instructors. Next time you're in town, stop by. We're in the big hangar west of the terminal.
I also know Barry Sutton - 2 of my students have taken (and passed of course :) check rides with him in the last month.

Dennis

I have my RV7A based at Ray and I did my BFR in August with Todd Yuhas (his first ride in an RV). He runs a great operation at Ray.

Lots has changed at Troy. The 'old' flight school at Troy (Metroline) has been gone for a few years.

I'm the chief instructor for Troy Air Experience which started operation in April of 2007 with a new 172S (G1000). We now have 2 planes and 4 instructors. Next time you're in town, stop by. We're in the big hangar west of the terminal.
I also know Barry Sutton - 2 of my students have taken (and passed of course :) check rides with him in the last month.

Dennis

Todd is a great guy... and I'm glad to hear Metroline is outta there. The west hanger was where Berz was untill the dork that owns that hanger doubled the rent and kept breaking the planes. I remember I spent one lesson helping Todd dissassemble the airplane looking for why the rudder on an archer moved about 2 inches while on the ground only to find that the stearing arm attached to the nose wheel had been bent by ground handeling. So make sure if the your planes are kept in the hanger that you do a good preflight! and teach you students that too.

I don't make it up to Troy often when I get to MI... too much to do not enough time to do it. Ma lives under the pattern at Mettatal so I usually go there unless the wind in howeling out of the east or west... then it's over to Willow.

Last few times I've seen Todd, Dave or anyone else has been in WI not MI.

Missa

Last edited:
I'm visiting East Lansing right now and flew with Foxbat from the AOPA board. YOu might want to contact him...

Attachments

• LAN airport from the air, low rez.jpg
    LAN airport from the air, low rez.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 5
I fly out of Ann Arbor now (ARB ) but trained at Y47 which is just 13 nm SW of PTK. Y47 is the closest airport to my house but they don't have much of an FBO there anymore. Hopefully they'll get built back up and I'll switch back. Oh well, the extra tower experience has definitely been a good thing.

If you've never landed at Y47, I highly recommend it. First, finding it without a GPS can be fun even if you know where it is. Then landing with all the trees around can be rather daunting for those who've spent most of their time at the larger, more open airports. Hint - if there is any kind of crosswind, don't float it 1/2 way down the runway or you'll get hit with the wind coming through the openings just as you're ready to touch down.

I also recommend 45G (Brighton) just NW of the US-23/I-96 intersection. It has the narrowest paved runway in Michigan - 24 ft. wide. I like to do occasional "precision landings" there. If you aren't right on - go around!

And I'll second Missa's comment about Maple Grove.

Also, I've been looking for an excuse to go to VLL. I usually fly in the middle of the day on weekdays - very few evenings or weekends although they are a possibility -any chance you'd be available for a short visit/flight?

I fly my Soooper Yankee out of Ray Community (57D) - best little GA airport around; populated by people who fly for flying's sake, rather than for transportation.

Also, I've been looking for an excuse to go to VLL. I usually fly in the middle of the day on weekdays - very few evenings or weekends although they are a possibility -any chance you'd be available for a short visit/flight?
I'm not adverse to taking a long lunch from the day job :D
Drop me an email: dennis@troyairexperience.com or give me a call 248-953-0374 when you're thinking of stopping by.

If you've never landed at Y47, I highly recommend it. First, finding it without a GPS can be fun even if you know where it is. Then landing with all the trees around can be rather daunting for those who've spent most of their time at the larger, more open airports. Hint - if there is any kind of crosswind, don't float it 1/2 way down the runway or you'll get hit with the wind coming through the openings just as you're ready to touch down.[/quote/]

Ok, back before I had my ticket, my brother used to take me there to practice landings because they had a new runway with nice markings - much better than Grand Prix (now VLL) at the time.

A while later, a guy that I knew (that was flying out of Ann Arbor -ARB ) came by to announce that he had just passed is PP check ride. "Congratulations. How was it?" I ask. He launches into this tirade about the examiner and how he made him land at this tiny little airport. And he couldn't get it in the first two or three times, then the examiner tells him "land or fail", so he manages to get it down on this crummy little runway. And it wasn't fair that he had to land there, it was so small, and on, and on... So, I'm thinking and trying to figure out what airport in the area was so bad. Finally I ask. "New Hudson" (now Y47) he says.

I never did try to get him to take me for a ride...

I don't think I ever heard that story. Sounds like something I would do.
Left the grand re-opening of 6Y9, I rode with Ed Fred. Jesse and Nick in Nick's plane. We met at IMT for fuel and to put me into Nick's plane for the ride back to Jesse's home airport, KMIC.

We were wandering about the ramp when I spied a plane named S'wee Pea. Weren't sure if it was Toby's so we got closer and I saw one of the wing fairings had a large open crack in it. All I did was lay my finger on it to point it out to the other guys and blast if my finger didn't puncture the aged plastic. We laughed and then beat it out of there. It looked like that plane hadn't flown for many years.

I am based in Illinois but I do a lot of Michigan flying. Mostly to Traverse City though so I do not get to the east side often. Ed and Barb post on here (you already heard from Ray) both of them are Michigan based.

Scott, I never realized you travelled to TVC often. I have a place on Torch Lake (about 20 miles north of KTVC) and go there several times in the warmer months. PM me the next time you're headed that way and we might get together. I normally go to KACB as that's only 10 minutes from the house.

Nice little destination is Plainwell (61D) - Fly Inn Again Diner. Great breakfast and lot of pics on the walls. Cash only!

Hi everybody,

I live in Germany but travel quite often to Farmington Hills, staying at a hotel in Novi, MI.
I'm planning to get a checkout with the 'American Aces' flight school at the Y47 Oakland Southwest airport to rent one of their airplanes.

Does somebody possibly fly out of this airport or another one close by? I would enjoy to meet some other pilots in this area to occasionally fly places or to just have a beer. :D :cheerswine:

Cheers, Oliver

Back