Micco SP26

chart

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Falcon
Does anyone have experience or expertise to offer on the SP20 or SP26 Micco aircraft. looking for any helpful info.

I flew both the -20 and the -26 back when they first came out and before Chief Billy ran afoul of the rest of the tribe. Can you be more specific on what you're interested in?

I've got some SP-26 time also in the Micco factory demonstrator back when, er, uh, there was a factory. It's a neat idea and the only certified tail wheel retract I know of but there aren't but a few of them around and no support that I'm aware of. I definitely would not consider it much of an aerobatic aircraft if that's your interest. But as a sporty handling, two place, cross country machine that'll do the occasional loop or roll, it'll do - with one major caveat - I never spun it and don't know how it handles an aerobatic upset.

Thanks guys... Ken, to be more specific, very much like PittsDriver related...sporty, two place, local toy to teach my two boys, occasional cross country, occasional loop or roll. I miss Tailwheels (flying corporate "Iron"), and want something with some "umph". When I do decide to go somewhere, I want to go fast. There are a number of single place options, but I would like the ability to carry one son at a time, wife, or buddy.

Am a bit leary of the history of the Micco troubles, didn't know if they had things worked out now or not. If you read the "Micco Story" it's a bit "rosey" and I wanted some "real" pilot input. I had never really known about the 20/26 until I came across one for sale recently, and was just doing some research to see if this plane may fit the niche I'm looking for.

Do either of you or anyone else advise to continue research on the 20/26 or move on.

What about the Lo Presti Fury???

Again, Thanks

Now, the LoPresti Fury I do know a few things about, having once served on the business advisory board. They are continuing to plan for certification, but in this economy, as you can imagine, that's not much of a priority. They're also developing a kit version, which might have more legs, if you ask me. I think the Fury idea the company is focusing on has morphed into a Ferrari, which is a pretty small niche.

As for the Micco, fun airplane to fly. And looks cool. And nice ergonomics. The airplane and its stuff (like stick etc) are very stout, and so the airplane is a bit heavy for the power. It's certainly no Pitts. I would put it somewhere around the Citabria or Decathlon in terms of fun factor, but it can also do cross countries. I found it a very appealing airplane.

The big problem with the Micco is, of course, the lack of any kind of support. And unlike some orphans, there are no used parts in the salvage yards, either. The -26 that I've seen for sale recently has been for sale for three years or more. You *might* be able to find some old Meyers parts that fit, but that's hardly a comforting thought when you're talking about dropping big bucks on an airplane. So really, you have to be prepared to fabricate replacement parts, and you know what that means as far as the FAA is concerned.

With so many other great choices out there that fit your mission, I'd recommend passing on the Micco mainly due to the risk you'd assume to keep it flying. You didn't say what your price range is but there are a number of much more capable/faster aircraft around from RVs to Extras.

You didn't ask but I'll say it anyway - if you're thinking of doing any acro like the occasional loop or roll, I'd strongly recommend getting some spin & aerobatic upset training. I've seen guys with a great amount of military high G type flying come away from a spin training flight with a whole new appreciation of what an aerobatic upset can do to them mentally.

Wow...you guys are great resources! I will heed the warning on the Micco...sorry Chief, get your teepee in order and we'll talk.

I should have provided more insight initially , and been more forthcoming with my thoughts on the matter...apologies.

So here is another layer peeled back.

For years I've have had the bug for a bush plane, but when I consider the x-country trips, slowly grinding away to the next point is not inviting. American Champion has a couple of options, again a little slow, but definitely not out of the game. I have considered and researched the Cessna 185, now the whole family can go, but the fleet is expensive and aging. The Maule, quick and capable. However, I keep drifting between bush and sporty/acro.

So I keep coming back to the scenario of renting the four-place when I want to take the family, and owning the "tailwheel toy"

I know I need to make up my mind between bush and sport, or do I?

If you would, please recommend some two-place, tailwheel candidates, perhaps there are some models out there I've either missed or just not considered. I want to cover the gambit.

keep it coming guys, I appreciate your guidance.

185 is a stout airframe. Made up until 1986 so there are some young ones. Nice plane, I'd like one myself. It's all about mx history. I'd rather have a 40yr old airframe that has been carefully maintained and inspected than a 5yr old airframe that has been ignored.

there is a 185 here in wichita that is used for towing gliders. awesome airplane and a fantastic towplane. quite a ride in my lightweight Cherokee II glider.

I flew a 300 hp converted 180 once. lots of fun.

I am not a good reference, because I actually like to go cross country low and slow. But for what it's worth I believe the American Champion line is hard to beat. I have had my 7GCBC for ten years and other than the anemic roll rate, I love it. I thought about getting a Decathlon but took a detour to a Waco YMF-5C. I love the Waco but I can't bring myself to let the Citabria go.

The Citabria is just an incredible airplane, it will get 100-104 KTAS which is Sort of OK for X-ctry of 300nm or so. Recreational aerobatics, operate easily off 1,000 feet of grass, good weight carrying capability, and over three hours with reserves. Hard not to love it.

BTW I know a dealer that went to buy a -20 when they first came out, wanted to sell them. Came back with money unspent. He told me it was fun to fly until he pulled the power back -- it apparently had a glide ratio about like a pine 2X4, and he said he couldn't sell one in good conscience.

Ernie, thanks for the comments, my first tailwheel experience was the Citabria, and I admire the American Champion line. Low and slow can definitely be the way to go. Thanks also for the background on the -20.

I guess it depends on how serious you are about tipping the scales toward acro vs. XC comfort. I've owned some pretty comfortable aircraft over the last 10 years, the latest traveling airplane a Columbia 400 which I sold a year ago. I've owned my Pitts S2C now for 6 years and I'll own that plane for the foreseeable future. It's a hotrod, 2 place, aerobatic plane that makes few compromises for comfort but is the most fun airplane that's ever been made. It's really not a XC aircraft - limited fuel, no heat, no baggage space if two on board, day VFR only, no autopilot. And yet. I've flown one of my daughters back to college in it on more than one occasion (~200 miles away). I've made more personal memories and made more special moments for anyone that's ever flown with me in that plane that any of the other several aircraft I've owned.

But, in case it matters, I plan for about 140 kts cruise in it with two hours of endurance.

I guess it depends on how serious you are about tipping the scales toward acro vs. XC comfort. I've owned some pretty comfortable aircraft over the last 10 years, the latest traveling airplane a Columbia 400 which I sold a year ago. I've owned my Pitts S2C now for 6 years and I'll own that plane for the foreseeable future. It's a hotrod, 2 place, aerobatic plane that makes few compromises for comfort but is the most fun airplane that's ever been made. It's really not a XC aircraft - limited fuel, no heat, no baggage space if two on board, day VFR only, no autopilot. And yet. I've flown one of my daughters back to college in it on more than one occasion (~200 miles away). I've made more personal memories and made more special moments for anyone that's ever flown with me in that plane that any of the other several aircraft I've owned.

But, in case it matters, I plan for about 140 kts cruise in it with two hours of endurance.
I pretty much agree with all of this, based on my too-short ownership of a Pitts S2A (sortof) experimental. However, my 2-day, 1400 nm excursion from Jacksonville to Gastons will stick forever in my mind as the two really, really bad days.

PittsDriver, well said. I picked up on the sentiment conveyed, and indeed it's the memories I'm after.

Still I have to decide on a particular model at some point. So I continue to search and consider anything with a tailwheel.

Am also curious, you made reference to Aerobatic Upset Training. Would love to hear more on that topic. I think that would just be some good healthy exercise.

Trip to Gaston's....Really, really bad two days, sounds like a story there Ken?

I like to hear more about the "Fury" and your involvement with the board.

PittsDriver, well said. I picked up on the sentiment conveyed, and indeed it's the memories I'm after.

Still I have to decide on a particular model at some point. So I continue to search and consider anything with a tailwheel.

An S2A like Ken referenced is the most affordable 2 place Pitts. From there, a pretty nice S2B (6-cyl) certified aircraft can be had in the $85K - north of $100K. Used S2Cs are less than $200K (if you can find anyone that will sell one) and new are north of $300K.

Am also curious, you made reference to Aerobatic Upset Training. Would love to hear more on that topic. I think that would just be some good healthy exercise.

Probably a topic for another thread but if you fly acro, you will eventually spin unintentionally or loose control of the aircraft. When that happens to people that haven't been formally trained in aerobatic spin/upset recovery, they will usually do the wrong thing for a while because they're mentally behind the plane and, during an upset, won't catch up. The thing the training does for you is make these highly exciting and unusual events something you've seen before making it less likely you'll totally lock up mentally and more importantly, the training will give you some simple, never fail, programming you can revert to automatically.

I'm based with one of the best spin instructors in the world and see it all the time with his students how the light is turned on and they go away convinced that that might have killed themselves someday without this training. All it takes is the wrong inputs to get a spin crossed over and get you looking in the wrong place and pilots have held the wrong rudder input all the way until it was too late. My advice would be to find the best instructor you can and get a couple of days of instruction. It goes a long way to making you more confident in the plane and also helping you figure out if this acro thing is really for you.

I'm looking to buy an SP26 in mint condition. Looking for one that is original and not been an aerobatic trainer.
Looking for late model that has been pampered.
Top dollar for the right bird!

Jeff 386-405-1366

If you want a nice bush plane that is also a real head turner I have this for sale. Don

Attachments

• cub banking.jpg
    cub banking.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 10
  • cub over the canyon.jpg
    cub over the canyon.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 9
  • super cub hangar.jpg
    super cub hangar.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 12
Not the only tail wheel retract: Swifts, Beech Staggerwings, Spartan Executives, and a large variety of the old twins

P-51, B-17, ...

He said certified (I omitted it when I answered him).

Lots of twins or bigger meet the definition: Beech 18, Lockheed 10/12, Cessna T-50, DC-2/3, Boeing Stratoliner (307), Ford Trimotor,

Last edited:
Back