Mexican military planes.

terry.mortimore

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
terry.mortimore
Hi gang:

During a recent trip to Cozumel Mexico on vacation I often seen Military planes on patrol.

Everyday a flight of two would fly north up the coast, and on a couple of days a single airplane was doing air work. Loops, rolls etc.

These planes were turbo-prop, retractable gear, low wing ships. If I was in the states I would have guessed T-6 texan's (I think that is the new trainer in use?).

Any idea what type of planes these would be? Would it be the Mexican airforce flying them, or would the U.S. airforce be down that way?

Just a curious Canadian, Terry.

P.S. the diving was fantastic.

Could be PC-7s

zorbat-pc7.jpg

or PC-9

zorbat-pc9.jpg

Most likely -7s

according to http://www.scramble.nl/mil/8/mexico/airforce-orbat.htm they only have a couple -9s, which is what the T-6 Texan II is based on.

Last edited:
Hi gang:

During a recent trip to Cozumel Mexico on vacation I often seen Military planes on patrol.

Everyday a flight of two would fly north up the coast, and on a couple of days a single airplane was doing air work. Loops, rolls etc.

These planes were turbo-prop, retractable gear, low wing ships. If I was in the states I would have guessed T-6 texan's (I think that is the new trainer in use?).

Any idea what type of planes these would be? Would it be the Mexican airforce flying them, or would the U.S. airforce be down that way?

The Fuerza Aérea Mexicana operates the Pilatus PC-7, a cousin to the Beechcraft T-6 Texan II.

I just got back from Playa Del Carmen and didn't see any planes, I could see Cozumel from my room, guess I was in the wrong spot. I did see a very large warship patrolling offshore though.

I've never seen the plane patrols in Cozumel, but then again I've never stayed for more than about 12 hours... *sigh*

I saw soldiers with M16s patrolling the beaches of Ixtapa, but that was in 1989, and I haven't been back since.

Absolutely no reason to visit that backwards-azz hellhole of a nation with a serious water and food safety problem!

I saw soldiers with M16s patrolling the beaches of Ixtapa, but that was in 1989, and I haven't been back since.

Absolutely no reason to visit that backwards-azz hellhole of a nation with a serious water and food safety problem!

Maybe you should visit it then, your opinion of it is a "bit" outdated, and completely inaccurate.

Maybe you should visit it then, your opinion of it is a "bit" outdated, and completely inaccurate.

It's funny you should mention this. Mary and I, in our new home on an island in the Gulf of Mexico, are obviously in a position to fly to Mexico with ease.

We've wracked our brains, looked on-line, studied charts, investigated the border crossing process -- and still haven't been able to come up with a single damned reason to go to Mexico.

I'd like to check it out, if for no other reason than to say "I've done it" -- but I can't find anything I want to see. What's there that is worth seeing that isn't in the States?

What's there that is worth seeing that isn't in the States?
Well for one, the way you are mistreated by American CPB and Customs (every inspection is a Felony stop, it seems), on the way home.

Oh. On second thought, I'm really not into that.

I just got back from Playa Del Carmen and didn't see any planes, I could see Cozumel from my room, guess I was in the wrong spot. I did see a very large warship patrolling offshore though.

Hi eMKay, I seen the Warship as well. Makes a fellow think doesn't it?

My wife and I really enjoyed the trip. We felt safe on Cuzumel, the resort was nice, the food and water was good. The real reason for the trip was the Diving and I was not disappointed, it was the best diving I've experienced.

As far as the border crossing is concerned it's not much fun on the US northern border either. I'm in Sault Ste Marie Ontario, which is on the border with Sault Ste Marie Michigan. We cross the border almost on a weekly bases, it's not as much fun as it used to be. Hell, when I was a kid we used to go across to catch last call. Sadly those days are gone.

Tailwinds, Terry.

Forget Mexico. Jamaica has the best Air Force.

Attachments

• JDF.jpg
    JDF.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 23
Hi eMKay, I seen the Warship as well. Makes a fellow think doesn't it?

My wife and I really enjoyed the trip. We felt safe on Cuzumel, the resort was nice, the food and water was good. The real reason for the trip was the Diving and I was not disappointed, it was the best diving I've experienced.

As far as the border crossing is concerned it's not much fun on the US northern border either. I'm in Sault Ste Marie Ontario, which is on the border with Sault Ste Marie Michigan. We cross the border almost on a weekly bases, it's not as much fun as it used to be. Hell, when I was a kid we used to go across to catch last call. Sadly those days are gone.

Tailwinds, Terry.

If you cross often enough, get a Nexus pass, that's what we did. Crossing now is a breeze. We have family and friends in Ontario.

Wasn't that long ago the Dominican Republic was still using P51's..

Back