Metro Tax - Refund Application

Speed

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Speed
How would you go about calculating hours worked out of the county for a metro tax refund? The form wants total hours worked, and hours worked outside of the county. My paystubs show that I'm paid '40' hours per week, which likely is based off 5 eight hour work-days. As a pilot, I don't work a standard 40 hour work-week though.

Could you take 8 hours for every day completely out of the county, even if it includes weekends? Could you base the first and last day at 50%, or 4 hours? If I do this, I end up with 47% of my hours out of the county. Would this withstand an audit?

The form says "statements for out-of-town work should be taken from daily logs and/or calendar/schedules that this Agency reserves the right to audit in case of discrepencies."

Sounds like you need to have logs that show the actual hours you were working out of the county. If all you've got is your schedule, you could annotate that with hours.

But I'm not sure this matters, because this may be a case of where you RESIDED and not where you worked.

An accountant familiar with your county tax laws would be the best resource.

How would you go about calculating hours worked out of the county for a metro tax refund? The form wants total hours worked, and hours worked outside of the county. My paystubs show that I'm paid '40' hours per week, which likely is based off 5 eight hour work-days. As a pilot, I don't work a standard 40 hour work-week though.

Could you take 8 hours for every day completely out of the county, even if it includes weekends? Could you base the first and last day at 50%, or 4 hours? If I do this, I end up with 47% of my hours out of the county. Would this withstand an audit?

The form says "statements for out-of-town work should be taken from daily logs and/or calendar/schedules that this Agency reserves the right to audit in case of discrepencies."

2 Things. I'm going to bet that they will want you to show you paid some other government entity for the hours worked elsewhere. As for the hours worked I don't think you can claim hours worked out of the country unless you were working. Just being out of the country because your work took you there is not the same as working elsewhere.

But this is the net, not H&R Block so take the advise as worth what you paid for it.

Back