METAR app for Android Wear smartwatches

EugeneR

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Eugr
Guys, it looks like my app is the first aviation-related app for Android Wear smartwatches (currently, only LG G Watch and Galaxy Gear Live)!

You can download it for free from the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eugr.wearmetar

The app description from the Play Store:
The first aviation weather app for Android Wear!

Use your voice to request METAR for a particular airport, city or nearest airport (U.S. only for now).

Usage instructions:

On an active watchface, say "ok Google, start Airport Weather". Alternatively you can use one of the available launchers to launch Airport Weather application on your Wear device (not the handheld!)

It will launch the app and display a secondary voice prompt.

You can then say the airport name (e.g. "Palomar Airport") or city name (e.g. "San Diego"). Also you can say "nearest airport" and it will display weather for the closest airport within 25 miles.

The result will come back as an actionable notification with current color-coded flight rules (VFR, IFR, etc) if a single airport was found or the worst flight rules if multiple airports were found.

You can then click on the notification to see the full decoded weather card. If several airports are found, you can scroll the cards vertically.

Tested on LG G Watch.

I also have a slightly more functional version for Google Glass if someone is interested. That one is not published, as the process to publish Glass applications is much more tricky.

I've just published a version 1.1.0 that adds full TAF support. Just swipe left and it will display fully decoded TAF card (I use my own METAR/TAF decoder) for that particular airport if it's available, or TAF for the nearest airport within 25nm of reported METAR.

Military fields are also supported now, including conversion from meters to statute miles in METAR and TAF. Non-standard codes in TAF are not supported yet, but I plan to add it (+ remarks section decoding) in the future versions.

It may take up to 2 hours for the new version to appear in Play Store, but it should be available soon.

Attachments

• 1_step5_taf_transition.png
    1_step5_taf_transition.png
    90.1 KB · Views: 16
In case anyone got moto360, I've pushed the new update, so it works with round screens too (and uses slightly different layout).

Since there are new watches on the market, bumping the thread up in case someone is looking for such an app, since it's not easy to find something Wear-specific in Play Store unless it's listed in the Wear section curated by Goodle.

I've also published an update that should minimize network traffic (and increase performance) and make more relevant cards appear first. I've switched to my own backend, so if you find any related issues, please let me know.

Tested on original LG G Watch, moto360 and the new round LG G Watch R (BTW, I like it a lot, and it has a built-in barometer).

Glad to hear that! I wish I had more time to work on new features if it wasn't for my day job :) But the improvements and new functionality will keep coming!

Back