Mergers Suck

astanley

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew Stanley
Not going to name names, but those of you watching the wires today know who I'm talking about.

Before the news goes public, I can go about my life, doing my thing and making everyone happy. When the news goes public, all of the sudden... it's like executives become irrational and the stress level goes up exponentially.

Between this and the elections, I wish I could just crawl away and hibernate for the next two months.

Cheers,

-Andrew
a big whiner today

CVS?

My company was bought yesterday. Sigh.

Good luck Anthony and Mike... I don't work for either of the principals involved in the deal, I consult for one of them. Still gets the knickers all twisted up.

They going to relo you again Anthony? Come back east, just in time for winter! :)

Cheers,

-Andrew

astanley said:
They going to relo you again Anthony? Come back east, just in time for winter! :)

Thanks for asking Andrew. No, it really shouldn't effect me. Actually may be beneficial overall. If I relo again its farther west. :)

I hope it works out for you.

HPNFlyGirl said:
CVS = Consistantly Vacant Shelves.
I complained that they showed prices on the shelf that you don't get at the checkout if you don't have the #$%^&* card.

They sent me coupon that I didn't use because I did mean it when I said I wouldn't go back.

They dropped that scam a few months ago.

Last edited:
We recently "merged" with another company...and honestly it has been a boon to both sides (well except for the five or so peeps out of a job).

mikea said:
I complained that they showed prices on the shelf that you don't get at teh checkout if you don't have the #$%^&* card.

They sent me coupon that I didn't use because I did mean it when I said I wouldn't go back.

They dropped that scam a few months ago.
If your State's Attorney General found out about that there would have been a big fine. Bait and Switch (in all its variants) is illegal most everywhere.

-Skip

The new economy kinda sucks. The industry I am in has lost almost 750,000 professional jobs due to mergers, out sourcing, and out right bankruptcies. BTW I am not in aviation either.

Having put a number of these together, it's making the culture work afterwards that's the real challenge. More failures have happened because this little thing was overlooked. I always look at the strategy/resulting product before I look at the financials. You can put lipstick on the pig and someone will still have to deal with it.

In Executive circles, they say "you get wealthy by selling the company". It's true, most execs have stock & options that vest at closing. And change of control agreements.

wsuffa said:
Having put a number of these together, it's making the culture work afterwards that's the real challenge. More failures have happened because this little thing was overlooked. I always look at the strategy/resulting product before I look at the financials. You can put lipstick on the pig and someone will still have to deal with it.

In Executive circles, they say "you get wealthy by selling the company". It's true, most execs have stock & options that vest at closing. And change of control agreements.
We just wondering how many of the MBAs that created this mess managed to stay around long enough to cash out.

wsuffa said:

Well, there's the long and the short of it, right?
Execs getting wealthy at any and all costs. Never looking back at the destruction wrought on the lives of the non-executives. Get yours and get out. Everybody can't be an executive. Too bad.:mad:

Been there, done that.
Signed,
Non Executive, Formerly loyal worker.

Keith Lane said:
Well, there's the long and the short of it, right?
Execs getting wealthy at any and all costs. Never looking back at the destruction wrought on the lives of the non-executives. Get yours and get out. Everybody can't be an executive. Too bad.:mad:

Been there, done that.
Signed,
Non Executive, Formerly loyal worker.

There are some businesses that handle it differently. I know of one that took about 10% of the sale proceeds and distributed it to the employees. As a reward for a job well done. I think there was even a retention bonus involved. (Someone that was part of the buyer's team remarked, upon hearing that news, "Guess we paid too much".) Needless to say, the new owners were not nearly so good to folks.

wsuffa said:
I know of one that took about 10% of the sale proceeds and distributed it to the employees. As a reward for a job well done. I think there was even a retention bonus involved.
I worked for a company that did that about 3 months after I quit. :(

1 week before: Employee parking lot full of beat up old Toyotas.
1 week after: Employee parking lot full of new BMWs.

1 year later: Out of business.

My brother works for a company that makes a lot of the cards that you see in high-end routers, their hardware is rebranded and sold by other companies.

He's in his first semester of grad school now, and when he notified them that he *might* have to cut down on his hours and/or leave outright (a good couple of months before either would have happened), he was denied a raise. When he talked with the boss man later and said he'd be staying on at the same level, he did get the raise but it was not retroactive to July 1st like everyone else's was (raises were given mid to late July from what I understand.)

Now, he's thinking about leaving again. Do you think he's gonna give them any more than two weeks notice? People (notably Bob G) were wondering why employees aren't loyal any more. It's mostly because the company's not loyal to the employees any more either. :(

flyingcheesehead said:
Now, he's thinking about leaving again. Do you think he's gonna give them any more than two weeks notice? People (notably Bob G) were wondering why employees aren't loyal any more. It's mostly because the company's not loyal to the employees any more either. :(
I sent the defintion of loyalty to Scott Adams along the lines of the "Is this good for the company?" sign in "Office space:"

"The company expects you to do whatever is required and enthusiastically putting as much time and effort as required to insure the sucess of the company when we come by to eliminate your position."

Back