Memphis controller above and beyond

bluerooster

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
shorty
Today, on the trip from Sheridan AR (9M8) to Jasper GA (JZP). I was on FF. Not long after being handed to MEM by LIT, The controller told me of some precip about 90 miles ahead. It had turned into a non-event by the time I got there. But right around Tupelo MS I was getting into an area of clouds, kinda stuck between layers. And it looked to me like it was closing in. The AWOS from airports ahead of me (that I could receive) seemed to confirm that. I asked the controller what precip he could see, and If i turn south would I be able to get around it. He agreed, and told me that it looked like I could head south south east toward Hamilton AL (HAB). He went on to ask others in the area for PIREP, and relayed to me. Then continued to work other traffic, but when he had a lull in the action, he would come on to ask how I was doing. I never felt like I was in any real danger, but I did communicate my concerns to ATC as to my ability to maintain VFR, and had to spiral down through a "sucker hole". I told ATC what I was doing, and why. I ended up on a west bound VFR altitude, while east bound. He didn't have a problem with it. and neither did I. By the time I got beyond the frontal line of mess, the altitude was a moot point as it was below 3000 agl.
Even with the deviation, made the trip in a decent time. KUDOS to that anonymous controller.

Back