MEL/IR training in Ft Lauderdale

mulligan

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Mulligan
My T206H is not meeting my mission as my boys are growing and we will no longer be able to fly as a family of five on our typical 320nm hops. Thinking of upgrading to a G58 so I'll need to add multi engine to my bag of tricks.

Can anyone recommend a good flight school in Ft Lauderdale that has a decent trainer? The twin at my flight school is almost in worse shape the the single engine planes which is the reason I first bought the T206H for my initial PPL and IR as It was not comfortable flying in the trainers.

Prefer something with a G1000 as that is what I currently have and am very comfortable flying it, especially for the IFR work that I will need to do again in the multi.

An accelerated program would work as well as long as I can get there from Birmingham in my current plane without too long of a leg. I like to keep them to bladder size runs so about 3 hours max.

Looking forward to becoming a student again!!!!

paragon in fort myers has a really nice seminole with a G1000 setup. new and very well maintained aircraft.

bob

Would a turbo Saratoga fit the bill? More volume than a 206

There are several schools in FLL. None that use a Baron though. A G58 ? Really ? You had to know someone would comment ;). Why don't you get a nice used King Air ? Then you'd have a "Real" airplane. Here's a nice one :
http://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/1451355/1981-beechcraft-king-air-f90

Bring it to Fort Lauderdale and I'll only charge you $85 bucks an hour for instruction. It's actually gonna be easier than the baron.

Last edited:
There are several schools in FLL. None that use a Baron though. A G58 ? Really ? You had to know someone would comment ;). Why don't you get a nice used King Air ? Then you'd have a "Real" airplane. Here's a nice one :
http://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/1451355/1981-beechcraft-king-air-f90

Bring it to Fort Lauderdale and I'll only charge you $85 bucks an hour for instruction. It's actually gonna be easier than the baron.
That's a sweet little plane. But you have to keep it on the program or the engines turn into pumpkins.

I'm not looking for a G58 to train in, just to fly in after training complete. I am however looking to train in any multi engine with a G1000 as that is my current setup and preference. A DA42 would probably be just fine.

Just out of curiosity, why js the G58 not a real airplane? I find they hard hard to come by because people who usually buy them tend to hang on to them. Seems a good fit for the budget but am open to suggestions as always.

People tend to hang on to Pontiac Azteks and AMC Pacers too - doesn't mean they're good. For that kind of money you sure could get a heck of a lot more airplane.

Lynn University up in Boca Raton has a DA-42.

Just out of curiosity, why js the G58 not a real airplane? I find they hard hard to come by because people who usually buy them tend to hang on to them. Seems a good fit for the budget but am open to suggestions as always.

I suspect they were meaning one of a couple of things, maybe both.

1. Why would you spend 1 mil or more on a Baron when you can buy a nice King Air for about half the price?

2. Do you not believe the King Air to be more capable than a Baron? How much more capable do you feel the Baron is than your 206?

In my opinion, I'd kind of agree with the previous poster's statement. Entry level twins such as the Barons, Aztecs, 310s and such are still toys with limited usefulness. If you want a more capable airplane you're probably looking at something that is at least pressurized cabin class, preferably turbine.

By the way, I'd suggest looking closely at the Baron to make sure it will do what you're looking to do. I'd bet the useful load is not much more than your 206, and check to make sure you'll be within CG. Depending on the airplane and the load, Barons can be a struggle to get it right. With four adults and luggage I always had to cram all the heavy stuff in the nose to keep it in CG, despite having a nice large act baggage area. Doing that it was still close to being out the back with that load.

I suspect they were meaning one of a couple of things, maybe both.

1. Why would you spend 1 mil or more on a Baron when you can buy a nice King Air for about half the price?

2. Do you not believe the King Air to be more capable than a Baron? How much more capable do you feel the Baron is than your 206?

In my opinion, I'd kind of agree with the previous poster's statement. Entry level twins such as the Barons, Aztecs, 310s and such are still toys with limited usefulness. If you want a more capable airplane you're probably looking at something that is at least pressurized cabin class, preferably turbine.

By the way, I'd suggest looking closely at the Baron to make sure it will do what you're looking to do. I'd bet the useful load is not much more than your 206, and check to make sure you'll be within CG. Depending on the airplane and the load, Barons can be a struggle to get it right. With four adults and luggage I always had to cram all the heavy stuff in the nose to keep it in CG, despite having a nice large act baggage area. Doing that it was still close to being out the back with that load.

Kind of makes sense but your comparing a new G58 to a used King Air and I'm looking at a used G58 so the price difference is more significant.

Did the math and for the 320nm hips don't need the full 196 gallons so it actually will be a better load for the family. Still not sure it's the right one yet but in the running! The King Air is just too much money for me right now by the time I update it.

I know you are half joking - but it amazes me you can get that much airplane for that price. It is less than a slightly used SR22. I get the operating cost would kill us single engine guys - but that is a lot of airplane.

I know you are half joking - but it amazes me you can get that much airplane for that price. It is less than a slightly used SR22. I get the operating cost would kill us single engine guys - but that is a lot of airplane.

Like @flyingcheesehead says, "You can live in your airplane, but you can't fly a house!"

Back