Medications

AireDale202

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
AireDale202
I have foolishly let my Medical lapse. Since then, I had to go on a low dose of a weak anti-depressant--not for depression. It has been about four years since I started taking it. I have had NO side-effects. Further, I have had NO side effects at altitude either.

A couple of years ago, when I went to renew my medical, I put it down on my medical application form. The Dr. then looked at the sheet--he didn't even examine me. He just told me my options, and of course charged me for the visit. I know what the FAA policy is on these medications, and quite frankly, it is ridiculous and insulting. Also, it seems to deal with pilots who are suffering from depression, which is not my case. My question is: do they keep records of medical rejections and for how long? My thoughts are: if I don't tell them, how would they know? What are your thoughts on how to get me back in the cockpit?

Please, don't think ill of me, I just want to fly again.
Thank you very much.

I have foolishly let my Medical lapse. Since then, I had to go on a low dose of a weak anti-depressant--not for depression. It has been about four years since I started taking it. I have had NO side-effects. Further, I have had NO side effects at altitude either.

A couple of years ago, when I went to renew my medical, I put it down on my medical application form. The Dr. then looked at the sheet--he didn't even examine me. He just told me my options, and of course charged me for the visit. I know what the FAA policy is on these medications, and quite frankly, it is ridiculous and insulting. Also, it seems to deal with pilots who are suffering from depression, which is not my case. My question is: do they keep records of medical rejections and for how long? My thoughts are: if I don't tell them, how would they know? What are your thoughts on how to get me back in the cockpit?

Please, don't think ill of me, I just want to fly again.
Thank you very much.

Sadly, this is why it is so important to "Know before you go".

The FAA is not going to forget, and even if they didn't cross check, you would be violating the rules to try for a medical again and leaving that information off.

Having attempted and failed at a medical has also locked you out of the Sport Pilot option.

On the other hand, the rules for gliders (even powered gliders) do not require that you passed your last medical. Just that you are fit to act as PIC (Consult your primary physician). Some self launch gliders have performance that outstrips your typical LSA...

Likely the best course of action to get the straight skinny is to have an off forum conversation with Dr. Bruce Chien. www.aeromedicaldoc.com

Dr. Bruce is one of the authors of the recently accepted protocol for SSRI's and knows his stuff in this area. If it's possible for you to get into the air again on a 3rd class, he can provide the roadmap and appropriate support (from the AME side).

To support what AM said above, the odds are that if you have all your paperwork in order when you go for your medical, you will not be denied -- perhaps deferred, but not denied, and deferred isn't that big a deal if it's eventually approved. The fact that it was not for depression and that it was short-term will work in your favor. Call Bruce!

As for the question about records, they keep records of denials forever.

As for "how will they know," when you sign the medical application form, you are giving them authority to obtain any and all medical records on you from any and all health care providers who ever treated or examined you. They rarely actually dig into that unless they have reason, e.g., you were involved in an accident, although they have of late started checking applications of those who said they have never received disability benefits against the Social Security Administration's list of those who have. Since false statements on medical applications are grounds for revocation of all your FAA certificates, it's unwise to omit something you are required to disclose unless you're willing to accept the FAA's "death penalty" if they find out, not to mention the albeit remote possibility of being criminally prosecuted for violating 18 USC 1001, which at least in theory can land you in a Federal penitentiary for up to 5 years.

Are there any reported cases of pilots being sent to jail for 5 years for not writing down information as requested on a form?

Or would that only happen if they got into an accident, and if the cause of the accident is directly linked with what they did not report?

Also, would the accident have to involve other people and property? In other words, if a pilot owned his own plane, and hurt himself and the plane but nothing else, would they send him to jail for hurting himself?

Are there any reported cases of pilots being sent to jail for 5 years for not writing down information as requested on a form?
Only when the omission was fraudulent, or involved a false answer. The FAA and SSA got together with DOJ a couple of years ago, and compared the names of those receiving SSA disability benefits with those who checked "no" to the disability box on their medical application. Those identified were charged criminally, and I believe convicted of felonies. Not sure exactly what punishment was exacted.

Or would that only happen if they got into an accident, and if the cause of the accident is directly linked with what they did not report?
That could indeed trigger the FAA to looking into the pilot's medical records. Here's an example:
http://dms.ntsb.gov/aviation/AccidentReports/hql2y3mi1lqsnz55pmssugjv1/U10212011120000.pdf
Since this pilot died in the accident, there wasn't anything left the FAA could to him, but his estate was sued by the city into which he crashed for the damage he caused and the clean-up necessitated.

Also, would the accident have to involve other people and property? In other words, if a pilot owned his own plane, and hurt himself and the plane but nothing else, would they send him to jail for hurting himself?
The pilot might be sent to jail for lying to the Feds, not for the damage caused in the accident. I know of no such cases involving aircraft and pilots, but I do know that Martha Stewart did Federal time for lying to investigators about some things she did that were not themselves illegal.

All in all, it's real bad for you if any Federal agency catches you lying to them or concealing information from them when they have the authority to require complete and truthful answers, as they do on FAA medical applications.

A lot of truth being told here.

AireDale202, you best get off the med(s) for 180 + days and get a full jacket psychological evaluation ("4-axis") from a psychiatrist, + psychologist as psychiatrist thinks appropriate.

In the attached SI (look at page 14) you can see how $$-sive it is to certify with the meds on board, though you probably could do it.

If you don't report, and subsequently bring attention to yourself by bending metal or an airspace violation, your MIB insurance codes will be known to the FAA in about ten minutes. When they see the depression codes, or anxiety or OCD codes, you PILOT certificate goes "poof!", not just your medical.

There is no running from uncle Sam.....well, there is until you are caught. Underlying diagnoses like social anxiety disorder, are usually certifiable off meds for >180 days with the eval. If you get an eval, be sure to get a urine just at the time of the psych eval to prove that the eval was done OFF THE MEDS. You need 180 days because some of the meds hang around that long.

Attachments

• SSRI.pdf
    46.4 KB · Views: 297
For those other than AirDale who are reading this thread because they have Q's about the meds they are currently prescribed vs. what the FAA allows, there is a good review of meds & dosages allowed/disallowed, by illness/disease, in the Medical section of AOPA's website.

Jack

What is MIB code?

If a person was EVER diagnosed by a shrink (say, as a child or in early adulthood) with a condition that the FAA bans - and they took medicine / tests - but haven't seen any doctors for years or taken any meds - can they appeal the code?

A lot of these things are "unproveable" (no blood test etc) and if your parents or siblings were diagnosed they slap a diagnosis on you too in under 15 minutes without getting to know you.

Can this "misdiagnosis" be undone? Or once you're "crazy person" you are always crazy person?

Would it matter if you changed medical insurance and had a "clean" record with the new insurance?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back