Medication omission in FAA medical application - I want to come clean

G

I was denied a 3rd class medical certificate several years ago because I was on an unapproved SSRI and I currently don't have a medical. I had stopped flying for a while (I'm PPL-SEL as a hobby, not career) due to anxiety and depression, which I dealt with for a few years. More recently I had been stable for years on an approved SSRI, and wanted to get back into flying. I also took Adderrall through a telehealth service for a couple of months as I thought I was having ADHD symptoms (although I was never diagnosed with it), but they were more likely related to anxiety. Having that said, I have been symptom free for a long time. I decided to follow the discontinuation path (not knowing that that is not an option for me as I had chronic anxiety/depression issues).

I worked with my AME and primary care to discontinue the SSRI so I can submit my 3rd class medical application. While I was working with my AME to discontinue it, I made the unfortunate decision of continuing to get refills of the SSRI. When I filled out the 3rd class medical application, I said that I was NOT on any medications, but I did disclose the diagnosis of anxiety (because our aim was to get a special issuance). I only took the SSRI for 2 months after submitting the application and I then discontinued it. So I have been off the SSRI for 8-10 months by now and feel fine. A month ago, I got a letter that I need a HIMS psychiatric evaluation and pharmacy records for the last 3 years. Welp...

I know I made a bad mistake and I should have not done it. I would like to come clean and correct that falsification. Is it possible with proper legal counsel? Or am I facing a definitive revocation of my PPL certificate?

I know getting a special issuance will be tough and require a lot of time and money. I am asking more regarding the risk of repercussions if I employ corrective action and fix the omission proactively before the FAA finds out. I am very risk averse and if there is a significant risk of revocation, then I'll probably stick to flying gliders.

Take the remining pills back to the prescriber. Get doucumented that hey have been counted and destroyed.

I was denied a 3rd class medical certificate several years ago because I was on an unapproved SSRI and I currently don't have a medical. I had stopped flying for a while (I'm PPL-SEL as a hobby, not career) due to anxiety and depression, which I dealt with for a few years. More recently I had been stable for years on an approved SSRI, and wanted to get back into flying. I also took Adderrall through a telehealth service for a couple of months as I thought I was having ADHD symptoms (although I was never diagnosed with it), but they were more likely related to anxiety. Having that said, I have been symptom free for a long time. I decided to follow the discontinuation path (not knowing that that is not an option for me as I had chronic anxiety/depression issues).

I worked with my AME and primary care to discontinue the SSRI so I can submit my 3rd class medical application. While I was working with my AME to discontinue it, I made the unfortunate decision of continuing to get refills of the SSRI. When I filled out the 3rd class medical application, I said that I was NOT on any medications, but I did disclose the diagnosis of anxiety (because our aim was to get a special issuance). I only took the SSRI for 2 months after submitting the application and I then discontinued it. So I have been off the SSRI for 8-10 months by now and feel fine. A month ago, I got a letter that I need a HIMS psychiatric evaluation and pharmacy records for the last 3 years. Welp...

I know I made a bad mistake and I should have not done it. I would like to come clean and correct that falsification. Is it possible with proper legal counsel? Or am I facing a definitive revocation of my PPL certificate?

I know getting a special issuance will be tough and require a lot of time and money. I am asking more regarding the risk of repercussions if I employ corrective action and fix the omission proactively before the FAA finds out. I am very risk averse and if there is a significant risk of revocation, then I'll probably stick to flying gliders.
You say you continued getting the refills. Did you continue taking the medication as well?

Take the remining pills back to the prescriber. Get doucumented that hey have been counted and destroyed.

OP here - I continued taking the medication unfortunately. I continued to take the medication for the "60 day discontinuation period," told the AME I wasn't taking it and had not taken it in the past 60 days (and put on the medical application that I wasn't taking it), then took it for a couple of months after submitting my medical application. THEN only after that I stopped taking it.

I'm honestly very ashamed and embarrassed that I did that - it was wrong. Now I also realize that the discontinuation pathway is probably not even going to be an option for me.

You say you continued getting the refills. Did you continue taking the medication as well?
Looks like they did based on these statements. "I only took the SSRI for 2 months after submitting the application and I then discontinued it. So I have been off the SSRI for 8-10 months by now and feel fine."

So you took it for two months longer than you admitted, but you've been off for 8-10 months. I'm not sure how admitting you took something that long ago will benefit you in any way. Now the lawyer in me (I'm not a lawyer!) want to ask you why you say you've been off of them for 8-10 months... which is it? 8 months or 10 months?

So you took it for two months longer than you admitted, but you've been off for 8-10 months. I'm not sure how admitting you took something that long ago will benefit you in any way. Now the lawyer in me (I'm not a lawyer!) want to ask you why you say you've been off of them for 8-10 months... which is it? 8 months or 10 months?[/QUOTE]

OP: Well maybe because somehow makes it better that I actually did end up stopping the meds (I know it doesn't make it better). I think I've been off it for 8 months or so, can't remember the exact date I stopped it.

Looks like they did based on these statements. "I only took the SSRI for 2 months after submitting the application and I then discontinued it. So I have been off the SSRI for 8-10 months by now and feel fine."

So you took it for two months longer than you admitted, but you've been off for 8-10 months. I'm not sure how admitting you took something that long ago will benefit you in any way. Now the lawyer in me (I'm not a lawyer!) want to ask you why you say you've been off of them for 8-10 months... which is it? 8 months or 10 months?

So this might not be the best suggestion, since it will actually create evidence that could be used against him as it will prove he kept taking the pills:

The OP needs to stop discussing this in public, hire an attorney, and follow that attorney's advice.

So this might not be the best suggestion, since it will actually create evidence that could be used against him as it will prove he kept taking the pills:
The OP needs to stop discussing this in public, hire an attorney, and follow that attorney's advice.
Couldn't agree more!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back