Medicals and checkrides

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
A friend posed an interesting question that I can't find a definitive answer to in the FARs.

Scerario: Suppose a private pilot holding a valid class III medical is working on a commercial rating. Is a class II medical required to take the checkride? The FARs seem to say that the class II is needed only when exercising the privileges of a CP, which the student would not be doing during the CP checkride, since he's the payer not the payee, so to speak. Thoughts?

Nope, a class 2 is not required to take the checkride. As you stated the class 2 is only required when EXERCISING the privileges of that certificate.

In fact, NO medical is required for a checkride, so long as the DE agrees to be PIC. You only need the appropriate medical when excercising the privledges of the associated liscense.

In fact, NO medical is required for a checkride, so long as the DE agrees to be PIC. You only need the appropriate medical when excercising the privledges of the associated liscense.

That's interesting. I noticed there was no mention of medicals in the qualifications for a rating, which I guess confirms what you said.

Teller1900 said:

That's interesting. I noticed there was no mention of medicals in the qualifications for a rating, which I guess confirms what you said.
You folks probably weren't reading the right section of the FARs:

§ 61.39 Prerequisites for practical tests.

(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section, to be eligible for a practical test for a certificate or rating issued under this part, an applicant must:
(4) Hold at least a current third-class medical certificate, if a medical certificate is required;

Doesn't matter if the DPE is willing to act as PIC or not--no valid medical, no checkride.

You folks probably weren't reading the right section of the FARs:

§ 61.39 Prerequisites for practical tests.

(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section, to be eligible for a practical test for a certificate or rating issued under this part, an applicant must:
(4) Hold at least a current third-class medical certificate, if a medical certificate is required;

Doesn't matter if the DPE is willing to act as PIC or not--no valid medical, no checkride.

Ya beat me to it Ed, I am just too slow I guess

Just to add an echo what the others have said, I only had a Class III medical when I took my Commercial checkride. It wasn't an issue.

I note the phrase, "...if a medical certificate is required." That leads to 61.23: "Medical certificates: Requirement and duration."

There it mentions: "Must hold at least a third-class medical certificate...prior to taking a practical test that is performed in an aircraft for a certificate or rating at the recreational, private, commercial, or airline transport pilot certificate level."

That's a bit more explicit.

That's right...I was thinking of the CFI practical. Pretty sure you don't need a medical for the CFI practical.

That's right...I was thinking of the CFI practical. Pretty sure you don't need a medical for the CFI practical.
...but only if the DPE agrees to act as PIC for the flight. Note that 61.23 talks only about pilot practical tests, not ones for flight instructor certificates/ratings.

I'm just a greenhorn, but I've been under the impression for some time now that if one wishes to hold a ticket, including checking for said ticket, one must be medically qualified in the opinion of an AME to do so.

"Must hold at least a third-class medical certificate...prior to taking a practical test that is performed in an aircraft for a certificate or rating at the recreational, private, commercial, or airline transport pilot certificate level"

A sim is not an "Aircraft", and thus doesn't require a medical certificate.

I have a commercial rating and haven't "upgraded" to a 2nd class medical.

I'm just a greenhorn, but I've been under the impression for some time now that if one wishes to hold a ticket, including checking for said ticket, one must be medically qualified in the opinion of an AME to do so.

A common but incorrect impression. It may have been true in the distant past.

A common but incorrect impression. It may have been true in the distant past.
If prior to 1997 constitutes "the distant past," that is correct. Before the Aug 97 Part 61 rewrite, to take the practical test for any level of certificate, you had to have the same class of medical as required to exercise that certificate level's privileges. The FAA changed the rule in order to encourage folks who didn't need or couldn't pass higher level medicals to upgrade their skills by going for commercial/ATP.

Now for my next question. Why would one want to upgrade to comm/ATP without getting the appropriate medical to exercise said ticket? I under stand it's good resume(can't make the accent thingy) fodder, but seems like an awful lot of time/money to spend on a rating that cannot be used.

Well, because it's good practice. Mastering the Commercial manuevers will make you a smoother pilot, even if you never take a dime for flying.

Or, you may want to get your ATP, but not pay the extra expense of the first class every six months until you're going to actually go interview with an employer who'll require it.

...or you may get an insurance break (either aviation or life) for having Commercial/ATP even without needing it for the flying you do.

Back