Medical renewal -- Class 2 or 3?

MAKG1

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
MAKG
It's time for me to get my medical renewed in January.

I'm currently a private pilot over 40, so this will last two years for class 3, and one for class 2. I may or may not pursue a commercial certificate in the next year.

The only difference in standards I can find between the two is that 20/40 corrected vision is acceptable for class 3, and 20/20 is required for class 2. I recently visited the optometrist to get my prescription updated; this should correct me to 20/20 (but there is always some doubt there).

Is it worth it just to get the Class 2 certificate now? After a year, it will revert to Class 3 anyway. If I do pursue the commercial certificate, I won't need a second $200+ (plus associated hassles) aviation exam. If I happen to check out at 20/30 vision, can I just change my mind and get a Class 3?

When does the mind-changing take place? Once the AME begins the application process on a form that is serially numbered and must be accounted for, there is no turning back. S/he can't just throw one application away and begin another.

I'm sure that Dr. Bruce knows more about this than I do. In any event, I would go for the second class.

Bob Gardner

You don't need a 2nd class to get the commercial certificate, only to exercise its privileges after you get it. You can take any practical test and earn any certificate up to and including ATP on just a 3rd, and you can exercise all CFI privileges with only 3rd. So, unless you actually plan to get paid to fly within the next 12 months, there's no reason to get the 2nd class now.

As for the last-minute change option, I believe Bruce has said in the past you can do that. However, if your optometrist didn't give you glasses which correct to at least 20/20 in each eye, either you have a really weird eye problem (which you should know about) or a rather poor optometrist.

When does the mind-changing take place? Once the AME begins the application process on a form that is serially numbered and must be accounted for, there is no turning back. S/he can't just throw one application away and begin another.
Same form for 2nd and 3rd, just a different box to check, and with MedXPress, that can be changed at the AME's office.

I've always done the second and usually let it go to a third class since the second isn't required for instructing.

You don't need a 2nd class to get the commercial certificate, only to exercise its privileges after you get it. You can take any practical test and earn any certificate up to and including ATP on just a 3rd, and you can exercise all CFI privileges with only 3rd. So, unless you actually plan to get paid to fly within the next 12 months, there's no reason to get the 2nd class now.

As for the last-minute change option, I believe Bruce has said in the past you can do that. However, if your optometrist didn't give you glasses which correct to at least 20/20 in each eye, either you have a really weird eye problem (which you should know about) or a rather poor optometrist.

Well hush my mouth....in the future. :nonod:

Bob

Back