Medical Question

U

Unregistered

I plan on getting my PPL eventually. Anyways, I will be going to the doctors in a few days to address some depression/anxiety problems that I am currently having. Im worried that if I address these problems with my doc that he may diagnose or prescribe me something that will inhibit me of obtaining a FAA medical certificate. I have no history of any kind of mental health issues or any conditions considered disqualifying. If he does put me on something I would request it only be temporarily.. so if he puts me on something like Xanax for however long and stop will I still be able to get a Certificate? Basically will the history of taking this medicine disqualify me for any class of FAA medical certificates? What about a SSRI?

Before you do anything, my best advice is to consult with Dr. Chien. He's the best.

Before we go further, do not let your worries about aviation impact stop you from getting the medical help you need. Fix those, then worry about aviation.

so if he puts me on something like Xanax for however long and stop will I still be able to get a Certificate?
You will have to be off it for at least a few months and have a psychiatrist certify that the underlying problem is resolved before you can fly again. Alternatively, continued use of certain SSRI's can be approved after a much longer period of use, again, with a psychiatrist's evaluation.

Basically will the history of taking this medicine disqualify me for any class of FAA medical certificates?
No, but it will be a lot harder, and you'll have to be off it for several months.

What about a SSRI?
Pretty much the same, other than the ability to get certified to fly with a certain few SSRI's.

As the folks above said, you need to talk to Bruce Chien, either on the AOPA Forums or http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com, so you have all the details.

I plan on getting my PPL eventually. Anyways, I will be going to the doctors in a few days to address some depression/anxiety problems that I am currently having. Im worried that if I address these problems with my doc that he may diagnose or prescribe me something that will inhibit me of obtaining a FAA medical certificate. I have no history of any kind of mental health issues or any conditions considered disqualifying. If he does put me on something I would request it only be temporarily.. so if he puts me on something like Xanax for however long and stop will I still be able to get a Certificate? Basically will the history of taking this medicine disqualify me for any class of FAA medical certificates? What about a SSRI?

The DR. will put you on meds if you let him. My suggestion is to ask him what you can do without meds. This time of year we all get depressed to one degree or another. Lack of sunshine, too much snow, family issues, whatever. Exercise, change of sleeping patterns, diet, social interaction with others, all can help fight mild symptoms. The best thing to do is eliminate the problem. ;)

Good luck, and stay off the meds. JMHO.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back