Medical issue young healthy guy….

Agronomist

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Kurt
Went and got my 3rd class medical from the local AME back in January. I noted a RBBB and a Heart murmur that was diagnosed and determined to be situation with an extremely high fever. This was back when I was 12. I am now almost 25. So now the letter shows up in the mail that they can't determine my eligibility. Going through their 3 pages of paperwork that they sent it is not very clear what to do next. I scheduled an appointment with the Dr. I met with when I was diagnosed years ago. I was turned loose with NO Limitations. The AME even said this is no problem here's your medical. So as I see it I go get a current evaluation and send the medical history stuff in. This stuff is all based around heart attack history of which none of this really pertains to. Some articles I have read say to work with your AME. Do I really need to get ahold of him? Is it really worth going to consult one of the consolation companies for a fee?! I certainly hope not! :mad2: Anyone been through this before?

I'll tell you someone who has . . .

Dr. Bruce Chien, www.aeromedicaldoc.com

don't listen to anyone else - and call / email him RIGHT AWAY.

You have a short window to respond - and you'd best see if your pediatrician is still in business [or whomever dx'd that condition] and try to find the records.

Short of that you need a new EKG and maybe a stress test to see if the condition is still there - but don;t take any advice from me except to contact Bruce- send him an email - he checks them late sometimes.

I have a long story about RBBB and false positive stress tests and catheterization to prove it was nothing but I will spare you. But I will say Dr. Bruce sorted out all of the paperwork for me for me it was worth every penny in peace of mind.

See this http://www.aopa.org/Pilot-Resources...tions/Heart-and-Circulatory-System/Arrhythmia

Looks like the murmers are rated on a scale and depending how bad requires a CV work up.

RBBB in someone your age should not even require a CV work up according to that.

I've had a similar experience, yes. I paid the $99 fee to enroll in AOPA PPS and as soon as I had the confirmation number I picked up the phone and talked to an aeromed advisor. The advice I got was exactly what I did and I got my SI medical issued without using an AME. In retrospect I can't think of a better way to have done it. There's no harm in you picking up the phone and asking the regional flight surgeon's office for advice, either. It isn't as intimidating as some would let you believe. Good luck.

The only contact info I see on that site is a web form. Any idea if it works?

Thanks.

Does Dr. Bruce have a public email address apart from the form? If so, could someone point me to it? (without posting it).

Thanks again.

Never tried, but everybody else that gets pointed that direction uses the web form. Some even get medicals in return :D

Thanks, I tried sending a note last week but haven't heard anything back. I'm guessing that the springing of Spring has his phone ringing off the hook......

And yes, I am happy to compensate him for his time or drive down to Peoria for the real deal :wink2:

Does Dr. Bruce have a public email address apart from the form? If so, could someone point me to it? (without posting it).

Thanks again.

He is also on the AOPA member's forum, and can be found on Facebook. To the best of my knowledge the web form works though.

You know what I remember about my medical history from when I was 12? Nothing. I had a dream once about a visit to some place with funny pajamas and after a little nap I woke up with a sore throat for a little while and was given all the jello I could eat. Medical procedure? Not one that I recall.

Seriously, this story may just motivate me to write my congresscritters AGAIN about Pilots' Bill of Rights II.

From posts on the AOPA board, it sounded like Dr. Bruce was somewhat overburdened by the OSA rules that just came out, so I wouldn't assume that his response time is going to be normal at present.

Seriously, this story may just motivate me to write my congresscritters AGAIN about Pilots' Bill of Rights II.

I was with you until I saw the point made on this board that 3rd class could ultimately be replaced by something even worse, in the event of an accident due to incapacitation that took out people on the ground.

Thinking about just how loud the shrieking hysterics and "screw those rich jerks with airplanes" types are and how they tend to dominate all public discussion, perhaps it's better to leave well enough alone and work incrementally around the edges.

I digress.

I was with you until I saw the point made on this board that 3rd class could ultimately be replaced by something even worse, in the event of an accident due to incapacitation that took out people on the ground.

Thinking about just how loud the shrieking hysterics and "screw those rich jerks with airplanes" types are and how they tend to dominate all public discussion, perhaps it's better to leave well enough alone and work incrementally around the edges.

I digress.

I think its a bad idea to set policy to avoid the worst case hysterical scenarios (rick jerk with plane has a coronary and plows into a schoolyard full of orphans and nuns); not to mention that the risk is really no greater than that of the same rick jerk driving his 5,000 lb. SUV into the same schoolyard.

Yes, it's a bad way to do it, but the FAA doesn't regulate the SUVs.

You're under a time crunch. You need that initial consult with as much information as you can provide now. Dr Chien will need time to consult with the FAA to develop a plan so you can propose the plan to the FAA then provide the testing they will require. Yes, to solve this you're going to suggest to the FAA what they tell him to suggest. At some point you'll probably have to meet with Dr Chien either at his office at Mt Hawley 3MY, Peoria Intl (PIA) or someplace he is traveling to for a physical. You'll want to establish with a local AME because you're going to have to repeat this every year.

Welcome to the tree of knowledge. Ignorance was bliss. Once you find out how the FAA medical stuff really works, you can't believe it.

I doubt the OP has much more than a simple administrative red flag to deal with. A condition statement from a qualified MD or something equally as easy. It isn't like he's a ticking time bomb and that's probably all the FAA needs to document. Like I said earlier, I'd call AOPA PPS. Have qualified answers and make a plan of action today. (Ideally!)

I think its a bad idea to set policy to avoid the worst case hysterical scenarios (rick jerk with plane has a coronary and plows into a schoolyard full of orphans and nuns); not to mention that the risk is really no greater than that of the same rick jerk driving his 5,000 lb. SUV into the same schoolyard.

In terms of risk, spot on but correctly assessing it would require discernment and reason, neither of which is around in spades these days.

Any event my comment was mostly tongue-in-cheek, I sent in my letters.

I doubt the OP has much more than a simple administrative red flag to deal with. A condition statement from a qualified MD or something equally as easy. It isn't like he's a ticking time bomb and that's probably all the FAA needs to document. Like I said earlier, I'd call AOPA PPS. Have qualified answers and make a plan of action today. (Ideally!)

I believe (maybe because I want to) your right. Administrative red flag.

I digress.

How would having an FAA medical make the outcome any different?

But, back to the original topic, a quick internet search with the name and city where a previously mentioned doctor practices takes about 30 seconds and yields a phone number.

The clock is ticking.

Last edited:
Yes, it's a bad way to do it, but the FAA doesn't regulate the SUVs.

You're under a time crunch. You need that initial consult with as much information as you can provide now. Dr Chien will need time to consult with the FAA to develop a plan so you can propose the plan to the FAA then provide the testing they will require. Yes, to solve this you're going to suggest to the FAA what they tell him to suggest. At some point you'll probably have to meet with Dr Chien either at his office at Mt Hawley 3MY, Peoria Intl (PIA) or someplace he is traveling to for a physical. You'll want to establish with a local AME because you're going to have to repeat this every year.

Welcome to the tree of knowledge. Ignorance was bliss. Once you find out how the FAA medical stuff really works, you can't believe it.

Think back on all the accidents that have happened in the last three decades and what draconian actions the FAA took as a result. Cory Liddle was as big as it got, what was the result? You have to get a clearance before you turn up the East River corridor unless you're in a helo or seaplane landing in the dead end slot of airspace. That's pretty much it, a way to assure that nobody up there is going to make a panic turn to to violate airspace.

the risk of the SUV is much greater since there are not as many rich jerks who fly airplanes . . . .

I've emailed Dr Bruce twice, with no response. Thought maybe the first email didn't go thru.

That email address and the phone # are on public documents Ron.

Plus, you can find them on posts here and on the Red Board FROM Dr. Chien.
His business email and phone, yes, but not the other ones. As for the email via his web site, he has a very strong spam filter, and does not often have the time to go through the emails caught in the filter. You have three choices -- be patient, post on the AOPA Forums, or call his office.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back