Medical Identity Theft

ausrere

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Lisa
I saw this story today, and the thought crossed my mind....I can imagine the effect medical identity theft would have on someone's medical certificate. The headaches you would have to go through to prove it wasn't you that was treated for a disqualifying condition!

What would happen if a pilot were involved in a fatal accident and afterwards the FAA discovered treatment for a condition that would have been grounding...but it was a case of medical identity theft. Can you imagine the heartache the poor pilots family would go through. The estate being sued because the pilots family couldn't prove he/she didn't have the medical condition???? Scary.

It also brings up one of the down sides to the FAA using other agency medical databases to cross check pilot certs.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/Health/story?id=1918228&page=1&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

Although it would probably take over a year for the FAA to accept the proof (if past history is any indication) the records supplied by the pilot's true physican/s could disqualify the bogus claim in the courts.

ausrere said:
I saw this story today, and the thought crossed my mind....I can imagine the effect medical identity theft would have on someone's medical certificate. The headaches you would have to go through to prove it wasn't you that was treated for a disqualifying condition!

What would happen if a pilot were involved in a fatal accident and afterwards the FAA discovered treatment for a condition that would have been grounding...but it was a case of medical identity theft. Can you imagine the heartache the poor pilots family would go through. The estate being sued because the pilots family couldn't prove he/she didn't have the medical condition???? Scary.

It also brings up one of the down sides to the FAA using other agency medical databases to cross check pilot certs.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/Health/story?id=1918228&page=1&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

Back