Medical/FAA Discrepancy

goose

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
goose
Not much of a poster, but thought I would share... My most recent 3rd class medical (now expired) contained no restrictions. However, when I checked my airmen certificate on the FAA website, it listed my medical and contained the "Not valid for night flight or light signal" restriction. I have had two 3rd class medicals and did not have this restriction on either one. I am currently using BasicMed simply because I see my doctor every year for a physical for insurance and he is pilot friendly.

Is this a simple typo or does the FAA look into other medical records? Had I flown at night on my presumably valid medical and had an incident, what would control? Would I have been in violation if the medical in my possession had no restrictions listed but the FAA database showed otherwise? I know, a lot of what if's, but the discrepancy bothers me.

On any past medical exams of any kind, was there a color vision test that you did not pass?

By the way, it is possible and easy to get a copy of what the FAA has on file about you. Which might answer the when/how you got tagged by the night restriction.

Start by reviewing this page and the instructions on sending in the request. https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/copy_of_certification_records/

I did that this past spring and in about 4 weeks got not just a copy of every scrap of medical related paper, but also all of my test records.

Without pointing too many fingers, the first AME was so old he didn't even know why I was there, the second AME was in the military (I was still in at the time) and we spent 10 minutes swapping stories, then he printed out my medical after checking my pulse and blood pressure.

I have had numerous color vision tests, local and federal law enforcement, military, and my current eye doc. Some I pass, some I don't, depends on the lighting conditions and the test used. I don't want to go down the road about how unfair the color vision testing is, I could go on for days. My biggest concern is that the FAA lists a restriction, but my medicals never contained the restriction. I guess it doesn't matter if I stick with BasicMed, but it surprised me to see this pop up.

Not casting aspersions, but it seems like a big coincidence that you've failed color tests on the past, and it was your records the FAA made this mistake on. Is it possible the first AME made a notation on your medical without telling you?

I suppose anything is possible. With that being the case, I guess I would have been screwed had I flown at night on that medical...

Does the subsequent medical without the restriction supersede the first? After all, the FAA allows several different tests to be administered. If a subsequent AME uses a different test and you pass, are you good? I looked at the list of approved tests and the number of plates you have to miss to be considered a "failure." I have not missed that many of the plates.

I guess the question has now morphed into, if I go back to get another medical, can passing one of the approved tests remove the restriction?

I'm still a little ticked if the AME made a note in my record but screwed up the medical that he actually issued to me; I was using that one for two years without knowing it was restricted. I will concede, based on my history and knowledge of color vision, that I "should have known" that the restriction was proper.

Last edited:
I looked at the list of approved tests and the number of plates you have to miss to be considered a "failure." I have not missed that many of the plates.

I will concede, based on my history and knowledge of color vision, that I "should have known" that the restriction was proper.
Why do you say you should have known the restriction was proper if you researched the standards and know that you did not miss enough of the plates to be considered to have failed?

Well, getting a little away from the question, but I see what I did. It would have been more appropriate to say that it shouldn't have been a surprise to see the restriction on my medical. It would difficult for me to argue with the FAA that the color vision issue came out of the blue. Since I was 5 I have been told that I am "color blind." I have lost out on several jobs that I was otherwise qualified for, and had received conditional offers of employment only to have those offers rescinded due to the color vision issue. I have challenged state and federal agencies regarding the color vision standards and purpose behind the standards. Specifically, one state told me that a person cannot be a police officer if they don't have "normal color vision." I challenged the reasons behind the policy and was told that it would be dangerous for a color blind person to be a police officer. I went to another state, and had much success as a police officer in a large metropolitan area for many years, before going back to school. Another: I went through the entire testing process with the FBI and received an offer of employment conditional on passing a polygraph, psychological, and a medical. I passed everything except the color vision PIP and D15 tests. The Field Office SAIC authorized me to take a practical color vision test. The test lasted approximately an hour and I had to identify colors in the building, the colors of cars in the parking lot, colors of various forms, etc. Passed with no mistakes. The doctors in DC said "no go."

The color vision issue has been a significant part of my life; perhaps I should change my career and hobby choices to ones that don't involve color vision. I have spent countless hours (years) researching the medical aspects, legal aspects, caselaw, and everything I can regarding color vision. Given this, I should have expected the same issue regarding the FAA. I certainly can't argue that I am ignorant of the issue.

I don't recall what, if any, tests the first AME gave me. I looked at the standards that the FAA uses for passing a color vision test, if I recall a person must be able to see 6 plates out of the first 11 plates on the Ishihara PIP test. I usually see 7 or 8. When I was issued the medical without restriction, I assumed that either I passed or he didn't test properly. I never saw the restriction until I checked my online profile. That first medical expired over 2 years ago. My concern is that I was unaware that the restriction was in place, and apparently, continued into the subsequent medical.

My original question was, can the restriction be removed through a subsequent visit to the AME for a new medical? And since we are straying a little, if an airman goes in for a medical and the AME pencil whips it, what responsibility does the airman have?

The official piece of paper is the official piece of paper.

So if I understand correctly if your piece of paper in your hand does not show the restriction then you are legal. The airman has no obligation to check online and see what the online version says about his medical, am I correct?

Part 67 - it's all about the certificate... Sez nothing about data bases.
67.1 Applicability.
This part prescribes the medical standards and certification procedures for issuing medical certificates for airmen and for remaining eligible for a medical certificate.

Part 61 requires a certificate, not a data base entry.
§61.23 Medical certificates: Requirement and duration.
(a) Operations requiring a medical certificate. Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section, a person—
(3) Must hold at least a third-class medical certificate—

(i) When exercising the privileges of a private pilot certificate, recreational pilot certificate, or student pilot certificate, except when operating under the conditions and limitations set forth in §61.113(i);

'I can help ... with the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!' Jeesh.
Write the FAA and ask them ... or do not crash at night while PIC!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back