Medical dislosures

Capjac

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Capjac
I am coming up on my first medical renewal (August) and have some questions. I am mid 40's, in fairly good health, active and have a class three medical. I do not use my personal Doc for my medical. Any advice to the questions below would be appreciated.

Last month my doctor found two spots on my back and removed them for testing. They came back benign and he said I should be careful and use sunscreen, but I am not in a category where he wants to see me for more spots regularly. Question: I assume I report this but should I bring my records showing it is benign?

My job requires an employee paid physical every year. It is pretty extensive and involves bloodwork, respiratory, hearing, eye test, the Bruce treadmill and a consult with a Doc. Question: Once again I assume I report this, do I also bring these records? Should I bring them from last year as well?

I also learned today that we may start doing heart scans as well. I read on another board where a poster had a scan and it came back good, however it did show some plaque. He said the FAA delayed issueing the medical for a time. Question: If the above scenario is corrrect, and they find some plaque on my scan, is there anything I can do to expedite the issueing of the medical (assuming the plaque is minimal)? Obviously I want the scan, although it will be a fairly nervous time waiting for the results, I just want to be prepared so I do not have to scramble around when the time comes.

Sorry about the multiple questions, just trying to prepare.

Tim

Tim, the key to each question centers around "was a diagnosis of _____ made?" or was no diagnosis made.

IF you can do a good bruce treadmill, 9 minutes no ischemia, this is a good thing. Bring the summary page. Nothing more will be required because no diagnosis was made. If a diagnosis of coronary artery disease was made, you have to bring all the tracings, too.

At the current time, I would decline a heart scan. I don't see what it gives you beyond the treadmill screening standard of choice. This has been before the Federal Air Surgeon- the test gives you only postives and a negative doesn't rule anything out, e.g, it's a one way street.

I would simply act with diet and if necessary to reduce your cholesterol, lower your LDL-c, and get your HDL UP.

As for the spots on the back, make your AME's job easy. Bring a note from the doc who removed them, telling what they are. Benignity counts a lot!

Dr.

Thanks for the advice, that sure gives me the direction to go. Fortunately, even though I have lived a rough life (physically), my physicals have been very good. Another question, since I will have two physicals between medicals, should I bring both years, or is the last one sufficient?

I wish I would have thought about doing this long ago, as I would have had my Doc write the "notes" at the time of visit. Oh well, I guess I should be seeing him more often than when I am ill!

Unfortunately, I will not have any choice for the heart scan. Our department is very aggresive in healthy living and has decided since the Bruce treadmill is only 65% (?) effective at finding heart disease, this is another option for us. I know it is well intentioned, and as I said I look forward to the test for piece of mind, but it appears it may be a hassle for me and the other pilots on the department. I wonder if I can meet with a AME first and find out what info he will need, then request that from the Doc that reads the scan?

Thanks again for the help, your service to us (me) is appreciated.

Tim

Unless you are in a profession where your Cardiovascular health is demonstrably important to the business of the employer (aviation, Rail Captain, Sea Captain, etc), you federally have the right to decline.

I am in the fire service, where more than 50% of the line of duty deaths are associated with stress (MI, CVA etc). I am sure I can probably get out of it, and may at least try to delay it. That is why I am researching my options now, before the decision time comes. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back