Medical Deferral

Sammies

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Sammie
I wish I would’ve researched in the forums before going in for my medical certificate today, but here I am.

I take trazodone nightly for help sleeping. I have no diagnosis for any sleep issues. I initially got it because i was transitioning to working the night shift at my job and it would rotate every 2 weeks. Now I have been taking it out of convenience for years now and disclosed it to my AME.

My biggest issue I believe is that I was diagnosed with ADHD as a child and was on medication for about a year. Fast forward to me at 24, i went to try to see if medication could help me with my work and training (I took it for a few days and then stopped) I continued to collect the rest of my prescription though. I have not taken the medication for over a year though. I am almost 26 now.

Am I basically out of luck? A deferral for two unapproved medications seems like I am SOL. I would love to hear your thoughts.

It's going to be a long delay and some pricey testing. If you discontinue the meds without adverse effect, that's the easy part. The hard part is disproving the ADHD diagnosis. This is going to take a neuropsych evaluation and the overused COGSCREEN testing (and a drug test to preclude use of any performance enhancing drugs). The bad part is the FAA is going to see a return to ADHD medication as signs of a recurrent illness.

Actually the harder part will be convinging that agnecy that he does not have a chronic affective disorder manifest as 5 years on trazodone. See email. :(

neuropsych evaluation and the overused COGSCREEN

Bert: Ernie, why do you have a banana in your ear?
Ernie: What?

Bert (louder): why do you have a banana in your ear?
Ernie: what Bert? I can’t hear you, I have a banana in my ear.

Bert: I said, WHY do you have a banana in your ear?
Ernie: I’m keeping alligators off Sesame Street

Bert: Ernie, there are no alligators on Sesame Street!
Ernie: Can’t you see Bert? It’s working!

geesh

Back