Medical and eyesight..

dans2992

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Dans2992
Ok, so it's time to renew my Class 3.

The last few times, I was on the ragged edge of 20/20. Depends on the day, what machine the doctor is using, how dry my eyes are, etc.

Now, Class 3 is fine without restrictions as long as you're correctable to 20/40 so it doesn't matter if I'm exactly 20/20 or not.

Of course for Classes 1 and 2, you need to be corrected to 20/20.

I'd like to get a Class 1 or 2 because I am considering flying commercial Ops (but have not as of yet). However, I don't want to get denied, have to go get glasses (I don't wear glasses now) and come back, etc.

So, is there a reasonably easy way to get your vision tested at an eye center, and bring that paperwork with you in lieu of an in-office eye test by the AME? Would most AME's be OK with this for a Class 1 or 2?

Also, for a 39 year old what's really different about a Class 1 vs Class 2?

Ok, so it's time to renew my Class 3.

The last few times, I was on the ragged edge of 20/20. Depends on the day, what machine the doctor is using, how dry my eyes are, etc.

Now, Class 3 is fine without restrictions as long as you're correctable to 20/40 so it doesn't matter if I'm exactly 20/20 or not.

Of course for Classes 1 and 2, you need to be corrected to 20/20.

I'd like to get a Class 1 or 2 because I am considering flying commercial Ops (but have not as of yet). However, I don't want to get denied, have to go get glasses (I don't wear glasses now) and come back, etc.

So, is there a reasonably easy way to get your vision tested at an eye center, and bring that paperwork with you in lieu of an in-office eye test by the AME? Would most AME's be OK with this for a Class 1 or 2?

Also, for a 39 year old what's really different about a Class 1 vs Class 2?
I do exactly that every medical. I have the eye doctor write s small report saying I'm corrected to 20/20 blah blah....
My AME, although still gives me an eye test probably out of requirement, takes the real eye exam report *very seriously*.....

My eye guy is a pilot, too. Since I wear glasses, it's a non-issue for me.

Any eye exam, by a competent eye-guy ( optometrist or ophthalmologist, not a tech or optician ) will be able to tell you what your 20/xx vision really is. If you are borderline for 20/20, maybe get a cheap pair of glasses - if there is such a thing. Chances are, at 39, you are starting to get into reading glasses range anyway. At the AME, don't use them unless you have to.

I think there is an FAA form:

https://www.faa.gov/forms/index.cfm/go/document.information/documentID/185784

that can be filled out and taken to the AME in place of his exam, but you'll have to check with a real AME about how and when this form is accepted.

You can't just get vision tested at Lenscrafters. 8500-7 needs to be done by an optometrist or ophthmologist. Frankly, you probably should be seeing an ophtoho at about the same frequency that you're seeing your AME. Glaucoma is a *****.

I was able to squint my way through the 20/20 for years provided the doc used an eye chart. I've always flown with glasses however. It's amazing how much easier it is to spot things.

I think even LensCrafters is legally required to have a certified optometrist write the script, no?

(Explaining the form to them, that's another question entirely....)

I think even LensCrafters is legally required to have a certified optometrist write the script, no?

(Explaining the form to them, that's another question entirely....)

Yup. Lens Crafters has an optometrist on staff, or at least contracted and in premises.

They often have an Optometrist in an adjacent office, but they are independent. They're not "REQUIRED" to have one. Tons of opticians don't have optometrists associated with them.

You can't just get vision tested at Lenscrafters. 8500-7 needs to be done by an optometrist or ophthmologist. Frankly, you probably should be seeing an ophtoho at about the same frequency that you're seeing your AME. Glaucoma is a *****.

I was able to squint my way through the 20/20 for years provided the doc used an eye chart. I've always flown with glasses however. It's amazing how much easier it is to spot things.
Lenscrafters, at least the one I go to, has an associated optometrist. I have been going to her for 15 years, since the associated store was Pearle Vision. She tests for glaucoma and even has one of those retina scan machines. I only had to get a report from her once, to take to an AME. That was when I was in the process of getting an SI with a condition that could have but didn't affect my vision. Otherwise I just let the AME test my vision. But I have worn corrective lenses all my life and I am corrected to 20/20.

Can I fill out two MedXPress forms? One for 2nd class, one for 3rd and give him whichever number I want depending on the results of the vision test?

Can I fill out two MedXPress forms? One for 2nd class, one for 3rd and give him whichever number I want depending on the results of the vision test?

If you start the exam it has to be completed. Once he opens a form, it's live.

What you can do, is go to the AME and ask him to give you the eye exam off the books. Then start whatever class medical you can pass without glasses.

Really, what's the big deal here? Go to the eye doctor a couple days ahead of your medical. Even so, what's the big whoop about wearing glasses?

You are making way too much of this.

I had a waiver for vision as a controller in the Air Force (Class 2) and as a pilot w/ my Class 1 when I flew for the airlines. It had 'must wear glasses while exercising privileges'. Not a big deal as long as it's correctable for the class physical you have.

Really, what's the big deal here? Go to the eye doctor a couple days ahead of your medical. Even so, what's the big whoop about wearing glasses?

You are making way too much of this.
:yeahthat:

If you want the class 2 and it requires glasses, then get them. If you want the class 3 and it doesn't require glasses then get the class 3. Chicks dig guys with glasses (or at least keep telling yourself that!)

If you want the class 2 and it requires glasses, then get them. If you want the class 3 and it doesn't require glasses then get the class 3. Chicks dig guys with glasses (or at least keep telling yourself that!)

Nothing says that even if your medical requires glasses you have to wear them at other times. I pretty much didn't wear my glasses other than for flying (or when I needed sunglasses as all mine were in my prescription) until my eyes finally got to the point where my driver's license also had the restriction.

I still don't wear them when doing things like skiing, etc... where my 20/50 or whatever vision doesn't justify the inconvenience of wearing them.

Ok, point taken..

Depending on the AME and what part of the tests you pass/fail, your medical might say something like "corrective lenses required" or "corrective lenses must be available".

I'm just going to go for the 3rd class and worry about this if/when I want to do commercial Ops.

Depending on the AME and what part of the tests you pass/fail, your medical might say something like "corrective lenses required" or "corrective lenses must be available".

The "Most possess corrective glasses" is for when you fail the near vision test but pass the distance check.

My wife when she went in for her first 3rd class had uncorrected vision so bad, the AME told her that while he normally tells pilots to have a spare pair of glasses with them, that she should carry two spare pairs.

The fun one is when flying simulated instruments. I take my glasses off to put the foggles on (the instrument panel is actually at the one distance my eyesight is perfect). I guess it's technically a violation of my medical restriction, but hey, I'm not supposed to be looking out in the distance anyhow.

Last edited:
I'm just going to go for the 3rd class and worry about this if/when I want to do commercial Ops.

It might be worth calling your AME ahead of time.

I went through this last year when renewing my 2nd class. Navy ophthalmology was backed up and I couldn't get an appt before I needed to renew the medical. I asked my AME office ahead of time if I should put 2nd or 3rd class on MedEx....they told me to submit as 2nd and the doc could downgrade to 3rd if necessary. I ended up passing 20/20 with my old script.

Bruce posted about this a while back. It is one of the few things that AMEs can still change with MedEx, but it is worth calling ahead to make sure your specific Doc is willing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back