medical and depression history

U

Unregistered

Hello all, I have what's proving to be a situation with only vague answers so I'm trying forums. I just started flight training and would like to get my medical soon. I had two
(documented) episodes of anxiety/depression, one in my late teens and one in my early 20s (pertaining to college and life not going as planned) for which i never was prescribed medication. I did attend therapy both times. The therapy didn't really help, I honestly just "grew up" and got over it on my own. The last time I went to any therapy (which was mostly just going through the motions, for my parents' sake) was at least 6 years ago. I'm pretty scared of getting deferred and going through a harrowing process with the FAA over what I feel is a pretty benign issue but I don't want to falsify my medical either. I've heard varying opinions on whether or not to report it and if it will be a problem. The AOPA said to report it but as to whether I'd have a problem would be up to the AME's discretion then the FAA's (which is a very vague answer to me). I'm unable to contact any doctors that i was seeing (I've tried!) I'm hoping someone will have some useful input! Can I consult the AME i plan to use ahead of my exam without being on record or would that be unethical?
Also I did have a medical about 10 years ago, and I have no idea what i reported on it. I know it was after my first episode. So that's another point of worry

First off don't contact the AME that you plan to use for your exam. If you do then you have alerted him or her to an issue they may not need to be alerted to . NOW PLEASE understand I am NOT saying you should not report this as if I recall correctly there is a requirement that you report any visits with a mental health provider for Mental health issues.

My suggestion is so that when you do go to the AME and report this if I'm correct and your required to do so that you have all you ducks in a row. There are AMEs that can help you do this before you go to your "examining" AME.

Its good that you didn't need any meds as I think that may make things easier. Dr. Bruce will be along soon enough take his word on this over mine and he can set you on the right course. If it gets hairy enough Bruce may suggest you pursue the Light Sport route as that only requires a Drivers License and not a medical. So wait for the advice before getting the medical as if you get rejected then you can't do light sport. Best of Luck and welcome to POA.

Thanks for the welcome. I haven't alerted anyone yet short of AOPA and asking my flight school, other pilots etc. Being a pilot is (and has always been) my career plan so I sure hope I can get my medical!

To the OP: Send me an email at bbchien @ comcast.net (no spaces). What you reported 10 years ago is very, very important.

Senior AME

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back