Medical after second TIA/Stroke?

A

Anony-Mouse

I’ve been flying professionally for 50 years. Almost 9 years ago, I had a TIA with no residual deficits. I spent one night in the hospital, and was sent home the next day, with no evidence of anything wrong. 2 1/2 years later, and after numerous exams, multiple rounds of cardio testing, and back-and-forths with the FAA in OKC, I finally got my 1st Class Medical back. Almost a year ago, I had another TIA/stroke. Again, there were no residual deficits, and after one night in the hospital, I was [again] sent home. That recent one was definitely due to A-Fib (I have none of the classic stroke risk factors) and the A-Fib is now managed with meds. Is there any chance that I can get any class of FAA Medical cert again? Or after two TIA’s/strokes in an 8 year period, am I now “finished”? I’ve also heard that the FAA will only consider medical recertification after A-Fib if the Airman undergoes successful cardiac ablation to “fix” it; that managing A-Fib with meds is not an acceptable “remedy” to them. But I can’t find this mentioned or written anywhere in the FAA medical resources. Does anyone know if this is true? I’m almost 70 y.o. and pretty much resigned to the fact that my professional flying career is over ….. I’d be happy to get just get a 3rd Class now, if I could. Any info, input, or opinions appreciated.

I’ve been flying professionally for 50 years. Almost 9 years ago, I had a TIA with no residual deficits. I spent one night in the hospital, and was sent home the next day, with no evidence of anything wrong. 2 1/2 years later, and after numerous exams, multiple rounds of cardio testing, and back-and-forths with the FAA in OKC, I finally got my 1st Class Medical back. Almost a year ago, I had another TIA/stroke. Again, there were no residual deficits, and after one night in the hospital, I was [again] sent home. That recent one was definitely due to A-Fib (I have none of the classic stroke risk factors) and the A-Fib is now managed with meds. Is there any chance that I can get any class of FAA Medical cert again? Or after two TIA’s/strokes in an 8 year period, am I now “finished”? I’ve also heard that the FAA will only consider medical recertification after A-Fib if the Airman undergoes successful cardiac ablation to “fix” it; that managing A-Fib with meds is not an acceptable “remedy” to them. But I can’t find this mentioned or written anywhere in the FAA medical resources. Does anyone know if this is true? I’m almost 70 y.o. and pretty much resigned to the fact that my professional flying career is over ….. I’d be happy to get just get a 3rd Class now, if I could. Any info, input, or opinions appreciated.
They are going to want to know definitively that you do not have a patent foramen ovale!

This is a 2 year process by the time it goes to the external neurological review committee.

Last edited:
They are going to want to know definitively that you do not have a patent foramen ovale!

This is a 2 year process by the time it goes to the external neurological review committee.

Yeah, I looked that up and can see why the FAA would want to know that.

I guess my main issue is, will I just be wasting my time - at 71 y.o., with A-Fib (controlled with meds or "fixed" with cardiac ablation) and two "neurological events" in my past - if I even try to get a Medical, of any class, again. Or are the Docs in OKC going to look at my history and just pretty much say "No Way".

That depends on the cause for the more recent stroke. It is likely an uphill battle. Only you can decide if it is worth it.

Back