Meatless meals for dogs and cats

woodstock said:
vegetarianism would kill a cat, and I bet it isn't good for dogs either.

According to my vet it is doable for each animal but it also takes alot of extra care, suplements, and health checks. Cats are really hard to put on a veg diet. Unless you are very carefull you will greatly hurt the health of the cat by doing this. Frankly it is not worth the risk.

But WHY would anyone do this??? These animals are meat eaters they do better with meat it is what they are designed for, humans are omnivores. We can make our own dietary decisions, no need to inlfict personal beliefs and choices on your animal.

Really! Shouldn't we treat animals more ethically instead of enslaving them to some human values?

Maybe we need to form a chapter of PETAOBPETAM*

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals Owned by PETA members. We can radi their houses and rescue the poor cats and dogs and feed them some mighty dog and tuna.

The way I see it, if you have to supplement a diet with extra vitamins because of the food choice, then the food choice is wrong.

Thats not natural, for pets or humans. And to me, making a cat or a dog a vegetarian brinks on abuse.

But I may be being a bit overdramatic.

SkyHog said:
The way I see it, if you have to supplement a diet with extra vitamins because of the food choice, then the food choice is wrong.
Except that our soils are so depleted of minerals that supplements, IMHO, are almost a necessity any more.

SkyHog said:
Thats not natural, for pets or humans. And to me, making a cat or a dog a vegetarian brinks on abuse.

But I may be being a bit overdramatic.
Agreed!

RotaryWingBob said:
I'm unconvinced it's good for people either, Elizabeth...

not sure? all I know is it annoys the hell out of me to go to dinner with them! I have two friends who are militant about it - I hate having to pick from a short list of restaurants when we go out to eat.

I subscribe to the laziness diet - if what is in front of me is edible and tastes good, I'm happy.

Why abuse your dogs and cats by feeding them substandard fare? I mean, we all know that the meat in dog and cat foods is pretty much garbage. But trying to make your dog and/or cat become a vegetarian is unhealthy, unnatural, and cruel. The best solution is to feed them fresh, healthy meat devoid of preservatives, etc.

Perhaps PETA members? :D

woodstock said:
not sure? all I know is it annoys the hell out of me to go to dinner with them! I have two friends who are militant about it - I hate having to pick from a short list of restaurants when we go out to eat.
I have a friend who is a vegetarian. Except she eats fish. And shrimp. And anything else oceanic.

and my 7-year-old son proclaimed he was a "vegetarian who sometimes eats corn dogs, cheeseburgers and steak."

woodstock said:

I subscribe to the laziness diet - if what is in front of me is edible and tastes good, I'm happy.

I subscribe to the "Cool, I didn't have to cook it!" diet.

We are omnivores for a reason. :D

larrysb said:
From the, "No, I'm NOT joking, PETA really said this file"

Meatless Meals for Dogs and Cats

http://www.peta.org.uk/factsheet/files/FactsheetDisplay.asp?ID=164

PETA and other extremist groups make me sick.

Some PETA folks decided to raid a mink farm near home, "Freeing" 168 mink from their pens. Within 15 minutes, 144 of them had been "freed" from their earthly lives after they ran scared into the highway nearby. :no: Idiots.

Dart said:
I subscribe to the "Cool, I didn't have to cook it!" diet.

We are omnivores for a reason. :D

that is a subset of the laziness diet. see also

"I just opened the bag" diet (Doritos, etc)

and the ever popular "takeout diet".

I prefer the "drop in diet". I try to drop in at various people's houses just around dinner time. How else do you think I afford avgas?

I and my wife have been ovo-lacto vegetarians since 1989. You didn't know that because I am not militant about it. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them, and if you just want to make fun of me, I don't mind that either!

Ooooooh......reminds me of a blind date gone bad for me a few years ago.

Long story short, I showed up in a leather duster and leather shoes, ordered a whole chicken which I inhaled. Meanwhile my blind date is pecking away at a salad, and conversation found it's way to why she was only eating salad.
"I'm a vegetarian."
"Oh, for health reasons, or are you one of those animal rights wackos like PETA."

*silence*

"I belong(ed) to PETA."

I figured at that point I wasn't going to see her again and launched into a we evoloved to be omivores speech, along with a few other things. Oddly enough she wanted to go out again after that. I declined.

I didn't get to the top of the food chain just to eat tofu. But if that's what you want, well, it's your taste buds, not mine. I'll take mine medium rare, with a plain baked potato and green salad on the side, and a nice pinot noir to wash it down. Yummm...

As for dogs and cats, I asked Bucky about about a meatless diet, and here's the look I got.

Attachments

• bucky2.jpg
    bucky2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 37
Frank Browne said:
Ben, excuse my ignorance, but what is an "ovo-lacto" vegetarian?
"Ovo-lacto" is a category of vegetarian which allows for eggs and dairy products.

Ron Levy said:
As for dogs and cats, I asked Bucky about about a meatless diet, and here's the look I got.

That photograph is hilarious!

By the way, happy birthday!

wangmyers said:
I and my wife have been ovo-lacto vegetarians since 1989. You didn't know that because I am not militant about it. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them, and if you just want to make fun of me, I don't mind that either!

I could ALMOST be called ovo-lacto because:

1. much of my diet consists of milk, cheeses, etc.
and
2. I'm lazy - there are a lot of things you can eat in the above diet that don't require complicated cooking! (not that I cannot do that, I just usually prefer not to - nothing like getting home at 630 and spending much of the next few hours prepping, eating, and then cleaning up... I'd rather read or exercise or something).

I like steak when someone else fixes it. such as, Outback! :D

Last edited:
Ron Levy said:

If there's one thing you can depend on from a dog, it's a completely honest assessment of the situation...even if he thinks you're completely bonkers.

wangmyers said:
"Ovo-lacto" is a category of vegetarian which allows for eggs and dairy products.

Sounds like my friend Kelly, she has a rule, no faces. Thus, eggs and dairy good, everything else bad.

Frank Browne said:
Oh OK. Thanks. Is seafood out for you?
It is, but it was the last thing to go in my "phase-out" period of a few weeks.

wangmyers said:
It is, but it was the last thing to go in my "phase-out" period of a few weeks.
When I was veg it was the hardest thing to let go of as well. I would occasionally opt for shrimp if there was nothing but salad as a veg choice on the menu. There are only so many grilled cheese sandwiches you can eat.

woodstock said:
and the ever popular "takeout diet".

The local high-end supermarket has pre-made dinners, ranging from gourmet (cordon bleu) to down-home (meat loaf). Or sushi. Easy enough to stop by, pick one up, and put it in the oven (or nuke it) for a few minutes.

Usually a different selection each day.

woodstock said:
I could ALMOST be called ovo-lacto because:

1. much of my diet consists of milk, cheeses, etc.
and
2. I'm lazy - there are a lot of things you can eat in the above diet that don't require complicated cooking! (not that I cannot do that, I just usually prefer not to - nothing like getting home at 630 and spending much of the next few hours prepping, eating, and then cleaning up... I'd rather read or exercise or something).

I like steak when someone else fixes it. such as, Outback! :D

Steak is almost as easy as cheese. Ignite gas grill, remove wrapper from meat, coat with salt/pepper, toss on grill, wait 4-5 minutes, flip, wait 4-5 minutes, place chunk of bleu cheese or stilton on top, remove, and serve.

No muss, no fuss.

wsuffa said:
The local high-end supermarket has pre-made dinners, ranging from gourmet (cordon bleu) to down-home (meat loaf). Or sushi. Easy enough to stop by, pick one up, and put it in the oven (or nuke it) for a few minutes.

this is what I rely on actually - Wegmans!

Bill Jennings said:
Sounds like my friend Kelly, she has a rule, no faces. Thus, eggs and dairy good, everything else bad.

Hahaha! I've heard the no faces rule. Growing up in a Cuban household I always thought the roast pork with head on was natural, and if they sold headless fish I figured they were trying to rip you off.

My cousin Virginia (no longer her name) became a Hindu a few years ago.

One day we were talking diet (she is a vegitarian now) and I asked "Why is cutting into a juicy steak for dinner any worse than cutting the head off a lettuce ?"

She shot back "Last time I looked nobody claimed lettuce had a soul."

Had me thinking for a moment .... luckily the moment passed quickly.

She takes my ribbing on a good natured basis. :blowingkisses:

wsuffa said:

Just watch what they claim are "servings". Made one last night that was stir fried shrimp and veggies over rice. Said three servings. My wife and I gave the whole thing to our son (it was one serving by any of our definitions) and we grabbed three heat and serve dishes from the freezer. Steamer clams (nuke 5 minutes), and two different mussel dishes (nuke 5 minutes each). Yummm! We were still hungry, so she heated a can of clam chowder and I junk fooded out on popcorn (nuked, of course :D ). Thank goodness for microwave ovens!

Oh, and happy birthday, Ron!

Dart said:
She shot back "Last time I looked nobody claimed lettuce had a soul."
Last time I looked, nobody claimed cows had a soul, either (at least in my part of the country). See what I get for being raised in beef country?

Cows may not have a soul, but they make good boot soles! Maybe that counts? :D

Dart said:
"Last time I looked nobody claimed lettuce had a soul."

If the animals really didn't want to get eaten, they wouldn't be made out of food.

fgcason said:
If the animals really didn't want to get eaten, they wouldn't be made out of food.

You win the "spittin' on the keyboard" prize for the week!

:rofl:

fgcason said:
There was a "Shoe" cartoon awhile back. Roz asken a trucker if he wanted veggies with his food. He said "veggies ain't food -- veggies are what food eats..."

Ron Levy said:
I didn't get to the top of the food chain just to eat tofu. But if that's what you want, well, it's your taste buds, not mine. I'll take mine medium rare, with a plain baked potato and green salad on the side, and a nice pinot noir to wash it down. Yummm...

Nah, Ron... rare with a brew!

Back