Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Proficiency flight teaches more than expected

Bill Watson

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
MauleDriver
After watching 3 or 4 perfect IMC training days pass by, I decide to go do a proficiency flight before the weather improves. Significant rain cells forecast south and east but my target area is 300' to 500' ceilings with clear skies above 2500 and light winds. Conditions improving as the day passes. The expected challenges include a low ceiling departure and short, busy legs. But otherwise these are well known airports over utterly familiar territory flying well know procedures.

First destination is reporting 500' ceilings for the 200' DA ILS or RNAV approach. I choose the ILS for button pushing practice. Upon localizer intercept I note the absence of a GS. I announce my arrival on CTAF, "RV10 ILS runway 2 er, Localizer runway 2". AP manager replies, are you aware of the NOTAM, the ILS is OTS. "Affirm that, thanks". Hmm, what exactly is the Loc MDA? I hit the FAF on altitude and absent both needles I put the flight path marker on the threshold. I'm sure I saw the runway at MDA but it was close. On the flare I notice traffic cones blocking a good part of the runway. Not only was the ILS OTS but my runway was open but under construction. All other runways were closed. I had the NOTAMs with me but hadn't read them all. A more thorough review clearly required.

The plan for the next destination is a miss to the published hold. Despite a reported ceiling of 300+', nothing is visible at 200'. It's nice having the miss in the chamber when you absolutely, positively have to use it. But did I get the published miss? No, instead I get vectors.

Okay, I already know the glitch for this next destination. Given the wind, the proper approach to choose is the RNAV 6. However, I already know that while published by the FAA, Jeppesen doesn't include the RNAV 6 in the G430 DB because "it doesn't work". Apparently more than a few published approaches are not included in Jeppesen distributions because of 'problems'. So I request the RNAV 24 which requires an extra 20 miles of flying. No sweat except for the unforecast storm racing me to the airport. I could have been on the ground before the storm even got close if I flew the RNAV 6 but the RNAV 24 took me towards the storm before turning back to the airport. Crikey. At 200', there it is and a non-eventful downwind landing is completed.

I spend the next hour or two shooting the bull with the airport manager, playing with his dogs and refilling the hummingbird feeders. Soon the storm passes and I scud run back home without incident.

An excellent lesson in checking NOTAMs and remembering that weather can be much worse than forecast. Thank You oh great flying gods.

How did ATC clear you for the ILS if it was NOTAM'd OTS?
Washington Center said, "N123AB, what approach do you want at Danville"
The ILS runway 2
Washington Center said, "N123AB, do you want vectors or do you want to do it yourself?"
I said vectors.
Washington Center put me on an intercept course and said,"N123AB, you are cleared for the approach, cancel in the air or ground"

Does center routinely track NOTAMS? I didn't even consider it. Certainly won't be relying on it.

Here's the NOTAM from FF
!DAN 03/017 DAN NAV ILS RWY 2 GP/LLZ OTS WEF 1303251200

I've never been proficient in NOTAM usage. It looks like it's been in effect since March 25.

Funny thing but I would have used the RNAV approach normally but for proficiency I decided to do vectors to the ILS just because the button pushing is different.

Washington Center put me on an intercept course and said,"N123AB, you are cleared for the approach, cancel in the air or ground"

Not a valid clearance if you requested the ILS, and they cleared you for the ILS approach if it was NOTAM'd out of service.

Does center routinely track NOTAMS?

Yes.

I've never been proficient in NOTAM usage.

In addition to the DAN NOTAM 03/017, there are FDC NOTAMs issued that render the ILS 2, RNAV/GPS 20, RNAV/GPS 31 and VOR 20 procedures "not authorized."

FDC 3/8949 DAN FI/T IAP DANVILLE RGNL, DANVILLE, VA.
ILS OR LOC RWY 2, AMDT 4A...
RNAV (GPS) RWY 20, ORIG...
VOR RWY 20, AMDT 2...
PROCEDURE NA.

FDC 3/3762 DAN FI/T IAP DANVILLE RGNL, DANVILLE, VA.
RNAV (GPS) RWY 31, ORIG...
PROCEDURE NA.

Not a valid clearance if you requested the ILS, and they cleared you for the ILS approach if it was NOTAM'd out of service.

In addition to the DAN NOTAM 03/017, there are FDC NOTAMs issued that render the ILS 2, RNAV/GPS 20, RNAV/GPS 31 and VOR 20 procedures "not authorized."

So I screwed up and ATC screwed up.
Interesting and informative. I need to get my procedural act back together. :yes:

Might be worth considering a NASA report if you want. Doubt anything would come of it, but I suppose the first airport's manager could complain to Center about aircraft shooting the OTS ILS to an under-construction runway. Plus, there is a genuine safety concern about Center clearing you for a NA procedure.

Might be worth considering a NASA report if you want. Doubt anything would come of it, but I suppose the first airport's manager could complain to Center about aircraft shooting the OTS ILS to an under-construction runway. Plus, there is a genuine safety concern about Center clearing you for a NA procedure.
:yeahthat:

btw - I meant that in the nicest possible way!

You can see the obvious here- you are counting on getting into the airport at the end of a long trip - you are low on fuel as anyone would be at the end of a trip - and prob have a larger airport as your divert with full approaches - but then their GP is down and are running LOC instead of ILS approaches with twice the minimums . . . life in the left seat starts getting really busy really fast.

Back