ME-262 Article

Guess I read a different article because I didn't read much about politics in it. Seemed like a fair assessment of the 262's capabilities with a hypothetical of what could have been if they had built more.

One of my favorite parts in A Higher Call was Stigler's description of flying the 262 and the problems of the last days of its existence. Going up in 4 or 5 barely airworthy 262s that are on the engine's last minutes of life and going up against squadrons of allied fighters. True warriors in every sense. Then to be treated as losers and not heros by their own countrymen after the war, was pathetic.

It had enough politics for me to form an opinion of the author.
I saw the politics in the article, not really enough to really complain about IMO. Veiled enough that it really doesn't matter much. How about an opinion of the content rather then of the politics or the author?
Guess I read a different article because I didn't read much about politics in it. Seemed like a fair assessment of the 262's capabilities with a hypothetical of what could have been if they had built more.

One of my favorite parts in A Higher Call was Stigler's description of flying the 262 and the problems of the last days of its existence. Going up in 4 or 5 barely airworthy 262s that are on the engine's last minutes of life and going up against squadrons of allied fighters. True warriors in every sense. Then to be treated as losers and not heros by their own countrymen after the war, was pathetic.
As I mentioned, there was a little politics in it. Perhaps 2 sentences. No names were mentioned in those two sentences.

About the content, I doubt the slats on the F-86 were inspired by the ME-262, since they were known since 1917 or 1919 (Handley Page slots). The Me-109 had slats too. I believe later versions of the F-86 had slatless wings to carry more fuel (see image below). I agree that introducing the Me-262 earlier wouldn't have won the war for Germany,, but would have just caused the Allies to use jets sooner.

F86.jpg

The article cites metallurgy being the limiting factor in the ME 262's newly developed axial flow engines. I saw a very interesting documentary of the MIG 15, and early on in the development, metallurgy was the limiting factor in its development. The Soviets managed to swag a tour of the Rolls Royce engine plant, went to the trouble to wear soft rubbery soled shoes to pick up scrap metal on the shop floor, and even managed to secure a working model of an engine over a game with Rolls Royce executives. They took that technology back to Russia, and used it as the prototype of the engine for the MIG 15.

Ah, here it is. Pretty fascinating.

The article cites metallurgy being the limiting factor in the ME 262's newly developed axial flow engines. I saw a very interesting documentary of the MIG 15, and early on in the development, metallurgy was the limiting factor in its development. The Soviets managed to swag a tour of the Rolls Royce engine plant, went to the trouble to wear soft rubbery soled shoes to pick up scrap metal on the shop floor, and even managed to secure a working model of an engine over a game with Rolls Royce executives. They took that technology back to Russia, and used it as the prototype of the engine for the MIG 15.

Not true. The Brits actually sold the Soviets a handful of Nenes. The Sov's reverse engineered it and produced thousands...

I saw the politics in the article, not really enough to really complain about IMO. Veiled enough that it really doesn't matter much. How about an opinion of the content rather then of the politics or the author?

As I mentioned, there was a little politics in it. Perhaps 2 sentences. No names were mentioned in those two sentences.

Nothing the author said about the 262 was earth shattering. I didn't think it worth commenting on, so I didn't.

The op said they were surprised it wasn't more political considering the source. I agree but could still see the political leanings of the author despite being irrelevant to the topic. I thought it funny and worthy a reply.

The other posters commenting on there being nothing political in the article didn't read it very well.

The Nazis would have been triumphant and we’d all be living in The Man in the High Castle.

Fortunately this didn’t happen and today we’re……..um……..oh never mind.
Thankfully it was never going to be a war-winning weapon for the Third Reich. Otherwise we might be ruled today by a temperamental demagogue fueled by hatred and delusions of grandeur, requiring constant praise and adulation lest anyone incur his wrath.
Let's not pretend he is isn't casually comparing our President to Hitler. There are plenty of other write-ups on the ME-262 that don't include this garbage. No need to give it the time of day.

Last edited:
It's almost as if the author inserted some token political content to get them to publish his article; kind of like the way people insert some token aviation content into their AOPA board posts to keep them from being take down. ;)

Let's not pretend he is isn't casually comparing our President to Hitler. There are plenty of other write-ups on the ME-262 that don't include this garbage. No need to give it the time of day.

I saw an airplane fly yesterday.

Could it be that the author of this article might have been referencing our recently departed questionable citizenship occupier of the white house.?

...Could it be that the author of this article might have been referencing our recently departed questionable citizenship occupier of the white house.?
That would not be a plausible inference of the author's intent, given where the article was published.

One last sentence on an accurate account of Hitler but it's gotta be a inference to one of our presidents that we've yet to figure out. Yes, indeed the article was full of political crap. Lol!

Back