MD - MA Trip Report, This time in an SR-20

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Did my annual trip to MA, this time with a stop in Boston. For those of you with time on your hands, here's the report:

Aircraft was an SR-20, and mission was to bring my wife and her former college student to Boston to find housing for grad school for the student, and bring us all to Central MA to visit our former teachers.

Monday was FDK to BED and a night in Cambridge. Hadn't been to my hometown in about 10 years! On the way up, there were some cumulus, and I was granted 11k. Up there, the ride was glassy smooth, and my passengers were amazed. They thought it was my technique, lol. It really was, of course, planning and decision making, and realizing that, duh, above the clouds it would be smooth. See attached picture--Groundspeed of 186 kts, 60% pwr, and fuel flow of 10.8 GPH. 2.6 hours.

Next day, we flew to a small airport called Turners Falls (0B5), to visit our old teachers. They are 75 and 93, and have twice as much energy as my wife and I (in our 40s), and her former student who is 25. Unfortunately, just before I was able to visit one of my former cello teachers, he passed away. I missed him by a day. But overall, a great visit. 0.4 hours in clear sky.

We had planned to come back today, but the weather was predicted to be rainy and stormy (those are technical terms, in case you didn't know), so we went yesterday. It was rainy and stormy. I tried to top the weather, but pretty soon I was facing TCUs I couldn't top, so requested and was granted lower, and went under. My limit for cloud penetration when they're convective is no TCUs (and, obviously, CBs). ATC was great and let me deviate as needed. The NexRad and Stormscope made it easy to stay out of nasty stuff. So, the turbulence was kept to a minimum in the IMC. I also noted that the Cirrus was -much- better at handling turbulence than the C172s and C182s I've flown.

The speed, comfort, useful load, and weather capability made the trip incredibly smooth. My wife and her student love the plane, so I guess I made the right decision to transition! My landings were just OK, but my passengers thought they were great. They said "better than the airlines," but I know better.

And as I predicted, seven hours of quality time up there with the Perspective G1000 has made me -very- familiar with the buttons.

I would highly recommend the Cirrus for trips like these. Wish I could rent a FIKI SR-22, though!

Attachments

• Approaching BED.JPG
    Approaching BED.JPG
    802 KB · Views: 48
Nice. I just spent a few days in Beantown myself, except we did it the old fashioned way (via automobile). I'd love to fly up next time. How was KBED? Easy to deal with? Pricey? Wouldn't mind making a weekend out of the deal.

Nice. I just spent a few days in Beantown myself, except we did it the old fashioned way (via automobile). I'd love to fly up next time. How was KBED? Easy to deal with? Pricey? Wouldn't mind making a weekend out of the deal.

I had the same question about BED. Hoping to get up there later this month along with a trip to Cape Cod.

BED was not pricey, at all. I went to Signature. They have a 31.00 handling fee and a 15.45 per day parking charge. The 31.00 was waived with 15 gallons of fuel purchased. The landing fee was 10 dollars.

I love the SR-20. Thanks for the writeup!

Welcome! Of course we all wish for better, but if I had been able to rent an SR22, I could have topped everything on the way home!

Excellent!

I just completed a checkout in a SR20 G2 this past weekend. Going on my first solo flight in it tomorrow - a short 60 NM XC. Looking forward to some longer ones with my father.

Excellent!

I just completed a checkout in a SR20 G2 this past weekend. Going on my first solo flight in it tomorrow - a short 60 NM XC. Looking forward to some longer ones with my father.

You'll love it. My best advice is that which is told to all pilots, but which applies to this aircraft even more--fly the plane, first. There is so much the technology can do (and even more in the Perspective), but just use it when you need it!

You had an 18 kt tailwind? I'm not familiar with that concept.

How does the SR20 handle compared to the 172? I am going to be transitioning to one next month.

How does the SR20 handle compared to the 172? I am going to be transitioning to one next month.

It is different, but better, I think. It has a more solid, slightly heavier feel; but the payoff is stability.

The one thing left that is not where I want it to be yet (after 12 hours in this plane) is getting consistently excellent good landings. Right now, I'll get a great one, then an OK one, then a good one, etc. Part of that has to do with my general fear of landing on the nose, so I flare a bit soon sometimes, and the other part has to do with the very different sight picture over the nose. I gather that landings are generally the hardest transition element for those of us going from Cessna to Cirrus.

What's -awesome- about landing a Cirrus is the X-wind capability.

My next flight will be 10 or 15 landings.

I had about 100hrs when I started transition to sr20 and it was pretty basic. All of my hours were in a 172sp and Pa28/Archer. Try to be exact with your approach speed and over the numbers to avoid long landings.

Also, I found the switches and controls to be in a natural position. I flew the Avidyne model and found it easy to use. Nice having xm weather/music as well.

Also, I found the switches and controls to be in a natural position. I flew the Avidyne model and found it easy to use. Nice having xm weather/music as well.

The Perspective is even better. You barely have to move your right hand off the throttle to enter frequencies, adjust flp, use the AP, etc. And I LOVE the alpha-numeric keypad! Saves loads of time!

Back