Maybe Sport Pilot??

If you compare 61.325 to the Private Pilot requirements, you will find they are about the same when it comes to airspace. Neither Private or Sport require actual flight in B or C airspace.

I don't hear anyone clamoring for Private Pilot students to be required to train in B or C airspace.

The best resource for Sport Pilots, as for understanding the Sport FAR 's, is "ask the expert" at www.eaa.org. Listen to what they say not Internet regulation "mavens".
No doubt you can also point to the regulation which says instructors are required to give endorsements upon completion of the regulatory minimum requirements. :no:

At this point, I'm through responding to Mr. Retro's distortions and misstatements. And I'm glad he's not an instructor, as his lack of professional and ethical standards would not be good for aviation safety.

I might say that the training required for an additional airplane category rating is a bit more than learning to "basically to drive the airplane," and you'll need a CFI's endorsement before you can take that checkride, but you aren't far from the regulatory requirements. Of course, as I've said in the past, what is legal isn't necessarily safe or smart.

I do agree that the training required is a little more than "learning to drive", was just simply stating the my conceptual understanding, and I do understand the CFI endorsment for the ride. I also strongly agree that what's legal isn't necessarily smart. I think this can be a good learning point regarding regulatory compliance and keeping out of trouble.

Like I said, it's been a long time since I've flown in the NAS, and would definitely want to and need to get to a comfort level that I can live with.

Since I'm seriously considering doing the SP thing, I have to remember that time erodes skills and memory. Not to mention the major amount of changes in the regs since I've flown.

Why I'm considering just doing the SP requirements is simple for me - it fits my intended mission. I've flown enough in really crappy weather in the middle of the night that I have absolutely no desire to do that anymore. I just want to do this for fun and relaxation. Day VFR CAVU is good enough for me. Less than that, I have no good reason to fly. By remembering that takeoffs are optional and landings are mandatory has worked pretty well for me in the past.

So let's imagine I have Commercial certificate. Rotorcraft Helicopter and Instrument Helicopter. Let's also imagine that I have never flown a starch wing. While we're in the land of make believe, let's imagine that I haven't flown since 1994. The last time I flew, therefore, in the USA all of the alphabet classes of airspace weren't in use. There were things like TCA, ARSA, and ATAs.

If I understand the regs (which admittedly I haven't looked into that much) I can get the required instruction to basically to drive the airplane, not take a written, pass a checkride and I'm off to the races. Go out and but an aircraft that is sport eligable, and as long as I fly under sport rules (not at night, above 10k, etc) I can fly into class b,c, or d without an endorsement. Also, I don't need any of the speed endorsements because I have a Commercial Certificate, even though I have had no formal training in any of the alphabet airspace.

By the way I've made several posts before, mainly about non serious topics, so this is my first foray into a real aviation related topic. My name is Roger. I'm in the Atlanta area. Have enjoyed lurking for the past several months.

You have only a valid U.S. Drivers License (no FAA medical), and "At least a recreational pilot certificate but not a rating for the category and class of light-sport aircraft you operate" "That light-sport aircraft, only if you hold the endorsements required in §61.321 for its category and class" and "You must comply with the limitations in §61.315, except §61.315(c)(14) and, if a private pilot or higher, §61.315(c)(7)."

So, 61.315(c)(7) "In Class B, C, and D airspace, at an airport located in Class B, C, or D airspace, and to, from, through, or at an airport having an operational control tower unless you have met the requirements specified in §61.325." does not apply to you.

So, 61.315(c)(7) "In Class B, C, and D airspace, at an airport located in Class B, C, or D airspace, and to, from, through, or at an airport having an operational control tower unless you have met the requirements specified in §61.325." does not apply to you.[/QUOTE]

That's how I read it also. Thanks for the confirmation.

Back