May Day Birdstrike Video

Wow. He was quick on the Mayday call too. There is a bit of a pucker factor when you get that on rotate. I wonder what his gross was when he landed?

Wow, I saw a shorter video on this incident recently, but this one is very well done.

Interesting.

Wow. He was quick on the Mayday call too. There is a bit of a pucker factor when you get that on rotate. I wonder what his gross was when he landed?

This is an awesome video. Handled very well. Anyone know what the single engine climb characteristics of a 757 are?

This is an awesome video. Handled very well. Anyone know what the single engine climb characteristics of a 757 are?

better than the one engine out climb on an F16 ;) I suppose that since its a transport category aircraft the single engine rate of climb has to be pretty good. Greg may have some insights, he flies 777's.

Anyone know what the single engine climb characteristics of a 757 are?

This from a friend of mine who used to fly 757's (also F16's):
Single engine climb rate? Well, there is no specific number because it’s very dependant on gross weight, but as I recall (and it’s been a long time) even at max gross weight it’s somewhere around 1000 fpm. I think I told you once about being a passenger in a 737 taking off from Denver in the summer and we lost an engine on takeoff. I didn’t know it at the time but found out later that the pilots thought they had had a tire failure so they left the gear down. Anyway, they had no problem staying airborne (the captain had trouble keeping his license though). I’ve never had an engine failure, but in the simulator climb performance is never an issue, even heavy weight on a hot day in Denver.

...the pilots thought they had had a tire failure so they left the gear down.
How in the heck do you mistake a lost engine for a blown tire?!?! That's an incident report I'd love to read.

i didnt read it that they mistook the engine failure for a tire failure. searched NTSB and saw nothing about an engine loss on takeoff at Denver for a 737, but saw a couple where a main wheel fell off, due to fatigue.

i didnt read it that they mistook the engine failure for a tire failure. searched NTSB and saw nothing about an engine loss on takeoff at Denver for a 737, but saw a couple where a main wheel fell off, due to fatigue.

If there was no damage and no one got hurt, there wouldn't be a report.

true enough John. sometimes those things have a way of sneaking in there though.

Seriously, tho - that was an excellent job by those pilots!

How in the heck do you mistake a lost engine for a blown tire?!?! That's an incident report I'd love to read.

I hit a bird at rotation and the motor compressor stalled - and for a second I thought the tire blew as well due to the immediate increase in yaw. It just felt like a blown tire initially.

I knew it wasn't, and retracted the gear because the greater emergency was getting away from the ground, but I had no idea I had hit a bird until the fod sweepers showed it to me.

Back