Mauled Maule

Bone head,,,,,,,,, gives the rest of us a bad name. did you see the three bounces? Bonehead flat lander in the bush.

Ya'll get a copy of "long Props and Big rocks" and watch the pro's at work.

Amazing. You'd think after clipping the tree on the way in he might me just a little more aware of them on the way out. :dunno:

I don't understand why the hunters even got into the plane with the pilot. I'm of the idea that simply using the aircraft's radio to request another form of extraction would have been the safest bet....and someone finding out the wing had clipped a tree on landing would probably gotten replacement transportation to the site rather quickly.

TDKendall said:
I don't understand why the hunters even got into the plane with the pilot. I'm of the idea that simply using the aircraft's radio to request another form of extraction would have been the safest bet....and someone finding out the wing had clipped a tree on landing would probably gotten replacement transportation to the site rather quickly.
The video is not of sufficient resolution to answer the question of what damage the airplane sustained in the landing. Sure, it clipped a tree. Maybe it just dinged the wingtip. And those Alaska guys will fix darn near anything in the field with wire and duct tape.

Question?

Under Alaska law, what must be brought out first, the meat, or the hunter, if both can't be brought out together?

How many viewers saw the tent still erected in the hunt camp, as the Maule took off?

Notice that there is only one guy talking about the trip/crash?

did anyone else see the wing fold after the tree hit it on take off? then the aircraft roll right?

The first tree didn't hurt the Maule. the tree tops are very flexable

Last edited:
Let'sgoflying! said:
I think its a Maule.
So that's what Alaska's like!
http://mhs.ryjones.org/Videos/bush-pilot.wmv

Well kinda but not always...... The meat has to come out before the Antlers, you could fly the pilot in then go back and get the meat. If you fly the meat with out the hunter, you have to have a transfer of Possession form filled out and signed by the hunter and the recipient of the meat.:dunno:

NC19143 said:
Question?

Under Alaska law, what must be brought out first, the meat, or the hunter, if both can't be brought out together?

How many viewers saw the tent still erected in the hunt camp, as the Maule took off?

Notice that there is only one guy talking about the trip/crash?

did anyone else see the wing fold after the tree hit it on take off? then the aircraft roll right?

The first tree didn't hurt the Maule. the tree tops are very flexable

I'd say you have to bring the meat out first. As to the video, I didn't see nor hear the tree strike on take off do damage to the wing, I think he just lost control on the yaw axis and wasn't quick enough with the rudder when the wingtip slowed down on the tree top and may have been enhanced when the tree top flicked up the aileron on its way to popping up behind it. When I watched it, I wasn't sure why he crashed and I watched it several times. What I saw for a strike shouldn't have caused a crash, at least not like that. Is that the caliber of pilots coming out of the "Alaska Time" mills, or are those operations managing to train pilots beyond this level?

I wouldn't be quick to judge them.

Look how small that "runway" is.

That airplane is as SLOW as you can possibly fly it when it hits the tree landing. I'm sure he miscalculated a foot or so, and that is why he hit. He wouldn't have any ANY airspeed to avoid it at that point.

To me it looks like you better be able to hit your landing spot within about 3 feet at near stall speeds for such operations.

That's one of those jobs that would have a lot of pressure. Another pilot dropped those guys off, Why shouldn't you be able to pick them up?

Perhaps when you dropped htem off there was a big headwind that helped out, now there isn't. You going to just leave these hunters here?

Most of those pilots are *very* skilled.

That's why it's called bush flying. No one ever said it was safe.

jangell said:
That airplane is as SLOW as you can possibly fly it when it hits the tree landing.

If that were true, why did he bounce.. three times?

jangell said:
I wouldn't be quick to judge them.

Look how small that "runway" is.

That airplane is as SLOW as you can possibly fly it when it hits the tree landing. I'm sure he miscalculated a foot or so, and that is why he hit. He wouldn't have any ANY airspeed to avoid it at that point.

To me it looks like you better be able to hit your landing spot within about 3 feet at near stall speeds for such operations.

That's one of those jobs that would have a lot of pressure. Another pilot dropped those guys off, Why shouldn't you be able to pick them up?

Perhaps when you dropped htem off there was a big headwind that helped out, now there isn't. You going to just leave these hunters here?

Most of those pilots are *very* skilled.

That's why it's called bush flying. No one ever said it was safe.

Ok, point by point, and I'm never quick to judge, but I have experience with clipping trees occasionally.

1) Runway wasn't small, and that was fairly benign tundra, pasture land in Texas can be much worse.

2) That airplane was AT LEAST 5 kts fast, he bounced 3 freaking times, that means excess energy, he was trying to do an attitude landing.

3) You should be able to hit your mark, or a safe disstance beyond regardless of the job. Dude flat out did not need to even be lined up witth that tree, wasn't necessary, plenty of lateral space in the scene.

4) Correct, whether someone else dropped them off or not each and every situation is different and requires an on sight command decission. BTW, notice all the reasonably flat clear land there, he didn't have to land in front of the camp either, he could have taxied there. That's why they call you pilot in COMMAND.

5) If some one is accepting payment for his/her services, *very* good is a MINIMUM standard, and this persons judgement did not even meet that.

6) Correct, it's bush flying, and by its nature is inherently dangerous, that why the pilot must not F*** up, and this one did, twice. If I was one of the hunters I would have taken the takeoff after seeing that landing, it showed poor judgement and poor control of the aircraft. The video shows quite a bit, enough to pooch the guy with the feds I'm sure for 90 days and a 709 ride, and I guarantee the examiner will require some bush landings and a heavy oral on performance.

Looks a lot like a pretty sloppy LDG and an overweight (overweight and overgross are not the same number in Alaskan bush) takeoff attempt, by any standards. I couldn't hear video engine audio so will assume no loss of engine power on TO for the time being.

At any rate, I bet he never does any sloppy flying in that aircraft again.

Last edited:
Back