Mason Fly-in - MI 8/20

S

SJP

My buddy and I will be hitting the Mason, MI fly-in this weekend if anyone is looking for something to do.

"[size=-1]Mason Aviation Days Fly-In/Drive-In Breakfast & Steak Fry both Sat. & Sun. Featuring the B-17 Yankee Lady & the C47 Yankee Doodle Dandy from the Yankee Air Force."

Starts at 7am, runs through 5pm. We will probably be there around 10ish - '65 Mooney M20C, White over Green, 3396X :D
[/size]

Steve, are you planning Sat. or Sun? Thinking of reserving a plane (if any are left available). If I go I'll fly out a bit further to make a n XC (touch and go at Lansing or the like). I may be able make one finally!

(Note on weather, as of now, scatt. t storms on sat.... but of course, who knows? :dunno: ).

T Bone said:
Steve, are you planning Sat. or Sun? Thinking of reserving a plane (if any are left available). If I go I'll fly out a bit further to make a n XC (touch and go at Lansing or the like). I may be able make one finally!

(Note on weather, as of now, scatt. t storms on sat.... but of course, who knows? :dunno: ).

We're tentatively planning the Saturday - generally we are heading back to PTK before noon, so any forecast thunderstorms are still snoozing out west.

We actually have 96X booked for both mornings, and if we hit Mason on the Saturday, we'll probably hit Sandusky City (Y83) on the Sunday - Wives and Weather permitting ;) If the weather is too iffy on Sat, we'll hit Mason on the Sunday instead.

SJP said:
We're tentatively planning the Saturday - generally we are heading back to PTK before noon, so any forecast thunderstorms are still snoozing out west.

We actually have 96X booked for both mornings, and if we hit Mason on the Saturday, we'll probably hit Sandusky City (Y83) on the Sunday - Wives and Weather permitting ;) If the weather is too iffy on Sat, we'll hit Mason on the Sunday instead.

You have got to give me a little more notice! I can get a plane on Sat from on ly from 8-11 but any time on Sunday! Let me know if your meeting up somewhere on Sunday.

Missa:blowingkisses:

Couldn't get a 152 for Sat. Reserved for Sunday, then thought to ask my friend Tom if he wanted to go (his new partner is taking the Lancair to the UP for the weekend!). He does, so I've switched to a 172 (N9900Q). Have the plane from 8 to 1, and plan Xc probably to Charlotte fisrt. Should be on the ground in Mason around 10 ish. Anyone there, say hi! (Since inviting Tom, he's looking forward to seeing a few folks he knows in Mason, so I doubt I'll change... but hey, who knows!).

Grumble grumble grumble...... Well, we'll see.... The "new" forecast is calling for it to be sunny! With winds from the West at 19......:mad:

That's a bit beyond what I really want to deal with, but we shall see if it actually developes..... one never knows with Michigan weather!'

Steve, did you guys make Mason today? There was a pretty gnarley looking system that rolled through between 8 and 10.

T Bone said:
Steve, did you guys make Mason today? There was a pretty gnarley looking system that rolled through between 8 and 10.

Nope. Red echoes on the doppler = Dennys for pancakes!

We're gonna see how it looks Sunday :)

T Bone said:
Grumble grumble grumble...... Well, we'll see.... The "new" forecast is calling for it to be sunny! With winds from the West at 19......:mad:

That's a bit beyond what I really want to deal with, but we shall see if it actually developes..... one never knows with Michigan weather!'

Winds from the west at 19 isn't hard at all, if you had the runway pointing the correct direction.

I offered my right seat to a freind and he perfers to go to Sandusky City on Sunday. So if either of you make it to Sandusky I will be in the piper 140, N51808 with the rubber ducky in the wind screen.

Missa:)

Yeah Mason would be a "breeze" for landing ..... and departing KPTK (Steve) or Oakland Troy (Missa) would be fine (runways 9/27). But what runways do I get a choice of at Mettetal? 18/36 of course! We'll see, it's gonna depend mostly on the forecast for return. If not flying, Tom and I will probably drive out to his field, KOZW (also good for tomorrows forecast winds!) for their pancake thingy. Says it's usually really good!

T Bone said:
Yeah Mason would be a "breeze" for landing ..... and departing KPTK (Steve) or Oakland Troy (Missa) would be fine (runways 9/27). But what runways do I get a choice of at Mettetal? 18/36 of course! We'll see, it's gonna depend mostly on the forecast for return. If not flying, Tom and I will probably drive out to his field, KOZW (also good for tomorrows forecast winds!) for their pancake thingy. Says it's usually really good!

That's why it's good to be checked out at two airports, one with 18-36 (Mettetal) and one with a 9-27 (Troy)! Come get checked out at Burz inTroy! Unfortunatly you may like the planes better then the one's you fly currently.... :yes:

Missa
-just checked the weather and it looks like Sanduskys still a go for me!

Missa said:
That's why it's good to be checked out at two airports, one with 18-36 (Mettetal) and one with a 9-27 (Troy)! Come get checked out at Burz inTroy! Unfortunatly you may like the planes better then the one's you fly currently.... :yes:

Missa
-just checked the weather and it looks like Sanduskys still a go for me!

We decided to switch to Sandusky - just heading out the door now.

Green on White '65 Mooney, 3396X - just listen for the Brit on CTAF ;)

Should be wheels up around 9:30, in Sandusky at about 10:00.

Well, after hitting the airport and getting a briefing, Tom showed up and I decided to skip the Charlotte/Mason flight due to winds forecast for later. We decided to fly to KOZW and get breakfast then return.

Had a beautiful flight over, a great breakfast, and only moderate bumps on the way back. Strong headwind there though, and nice tailwind on return. Then, I got to do a crosswind landing (a decent one) preceded by the worst landing attempt/go around I've ever done. Winds at KYIP were 270 12G to 19 per ATIS. Don't know exactly what we had, but it was ugly on the first attempt! Got it sorted out and back for a reasonably decent landing in the second try though. :)

So which Sandusky airport did the event happen at? (noticed both have runways of.... 9/27!). I need to check out in a plane over at Willow Run. Runways going every which way :yes: (or perhaps I need a refresher in Xwind technique!:D ).

Last edited:
T Bone said:
So which Sandusky airport did the event happen at? (noticed botth have runways of.... 98/27!). I need to check out in a plane over at Willow Run. Runways going every which way :yes: (or perhaps I need a refresher in Xwind technique!:D ).

Sandusky City - Y83 - up in the thumb. Flight out from PTK was smooth - my buddy brought along a friend who hadn't flown much, so the nice clear sky and smooth run was appreciated - clocked 152Kts ground speed on the way out with the quartering tail-wind.

Met Missa there, good breakfast, then made a lousy takeoff (struggling with that gear-bar from the right seat !) - was somewhat bouncy on the way back to PTK, 260@12G20 made for a firm arrival, but otherwise a fun flight :)

Not sure what the next one will be :)

Steve

SJP said:
Sandusky City - Y83 - up in the thumb. Flight out from PTK was smooth - my buddy brought along a friend who hadn't flown much, so the nice clear sky and smooth run was appreciated - clocked 152Kts ground speed on the way out with the quartering tail-wind.

Met Missa there, good breakfast, then made a lousy takeoff (struggling with that gear-bar from the right seat !) - was somewhat bouncy on the way back to PTK, 260@12G20 made for a firm arrival, but otherwise a fun flight :)

Not sure what the next one will be :)

Steve

Yum! That breakfast at Sandusky City was the mutt's nuts! ;) It's the first pancake breakfast which I have been asked how I like my eggs! The coffee was a bit on the weak side, but it can't all be perfect. It's on my list for a return trip next year and I think I'll make the effort to go have lunch in October.

I almost didn't think I would make it when I did a weight and balance with my Freind and I in the 140, we were on the ragged edge of forward CG... I told him to watch how many pancakes he ate.

The flight was a little bumpy each way and we went the long way taking the lake huron shoreling tour on the way back. I also did a bad arrival into Troy, I probally should have gone around, however the plane is in one peice and can be reused so I guess I didn't do THAT bad.

Hopefully I'll make Greenville next weekend.

Missa

Last edited:
Back