Marker Receiver

weirdjim

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
weirdjim
I'm toying with the idea of selling the last of my marker beacon stock (I think I have about twenty of them left) and dropping them from the line. As I read the tea leaves, the Feds are one by one dropping the marker transmitters off line. That, coupled with the announcement this morning that the VORs are going to go away one by one leads me to believe that most VHF navigation is slowly going away, with the possible exception of the LOC/GS precision approach.

I'm also thinking of advising my homebuilt plastic airplane folks to think twice about taking valuable internal space for a dipole antenna that is about 78" long.

Thoughts appreciated.

Jim

Where is that announcement about the VOR's?

I need those!

The announcement about the VORs was released two weeks ago (15 Dec 2011).

Well it's been what ten years since they removed the no-middle marker penalty on the ILS minimums? Yeah, they're disappearing and while there may be an odd fix that you might be able to do with a marker, given an IFR (at least enroute/terminal) GPS, why bother?

I'm still using those marker beacons! :)

Luckily, most approaches seem to have been updated with crossing radials or other ways to identify the fix.

And of course, DME still works well when those are available.

I would not install a marker antenna or receiver on any new airplane. Waste of space and weight.

Back