Marker Beacon: Required or Not?

SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
Is there any circumstance when either (1) ADF, (2) DME, or (3) IFR-certified GPS, cannot fully replace a marker beacon receiver?

Is there any circumstance when either (1) ADF, (2) DME, or (3) IFR-certified GPS, cannot fully replace a marker beacon receiver?

When you just absolutely, positively have to have a light flashing and a beeper beeping.:p

When you just absolutely, positively have to have a light flashing and a beeper beeping.:p
I like having the backup indicator I'm where I'm supposed to be but beyond the first couple beeps, it becomes a distraction. I'd prefer an indicator that does only beep twice or three times then terminates while the light may continue flashing as long as I'm over the marker beacon. I'd rather not take my hand from the yoke and throttle unnecessarily to turn it off.

I like having the backup indicator I'm where I'm supposed to be but beyond the first couple beeps, it becomes a distraction. I'd prefer an indicator that does only beep twice or three times then terminates while the light may continue flashing as long as I'm over the marker beacon. I'd rather not take my hand from the yoke and throttle unnecessarily to turn it off.

They never bother me, I've got a great ability to ignore things. Really helpful in relationships;) . Personally I like having a marker beacon.

Doesn't bother me...it freaks out my wife when we happen to fly across a beacon somewhere when we're not IFR though.

Gear warning horn freaks mine out when it goes off with low MP. Marker beacons had not bothered her.
You should switch to a Commander then, and be soothed by the sound of a ringing bell when your gear is not down...

-Rich

No need to replace with anything as MBs are no longer required for any (cat I) approach AFaIK. Once upon a time there were raised mins when the OM or MM was OTS, but not any more.

There are a very few rare approaches where there is nothing but an OM marker beacon to mark the FAF for a localizer-only approach. In those cases, you can't get by with DME or an ADF, but the FAF should be identifiable with a GPS that has the fix in its database. Note that some GPS's like the KLN-89B do not have non-GPS approaches in their database (and thus, no unnamed approach fixes) in their database, but more modern ones like the Garmin GNS430 do. In addition, as noted above, marker beacon receivers are required equipment for Cat II/III ILS approaches, but not too many of us do those.

No need to replace with anything as MBs are no longer required for any (cat I) approach AFaIK. Once upon a time there were raised mins when the OM or MM was OTS, but not any more.

This is what I suspected but, remarkably, had no idea of. I actually think that my plane has no MB receiver anyway, and that the display at the top of the 6-pack is a repeater from a no-longer-installed Collins MB receiver.

So, out it comes and a GPS annunciator will go in its place. Ba da bing.

This is what I suspected but, remarkably, had no idea of. I actually think that my plane has no MB receiver anyway, and that the display at the top of the 6-pack is a repeater from a no-longer-installed Collins MB receiver.

So, out it comes and a GPS annunciator will go in its place. Ba da bing.

Well, you probably won't need it around D/FW area, but remember, you can can CAT II qualify yourself and plane. I did at Oakland and LAX for "just in case" of low marine layer and fog.

Well, although I may never *need* it, per se, most audio panels I see for sale include a MB receiver, and I will likely replace the audio panel in the not-too-distant future. Problem (if there is one) solved.

Henning:

Curiosity rules- what all is involved in getting Cat II certified? What was the process, and was it at all difficult for you to do, bureaucratically?

Henning:

Curiosity rules- what all is involved in getting Cat II certified? What was the process, and was it at all difficult for you to do, bureaucratically?

No, it was simple for a catagory A aircraft. I did it with one of the FSDO guys at both and it was free. You shoot 6 Cat II ILSs under the hood, and that gets you legal to 150'. You shoot 6 more (you can do these in actual or with a safety pilot, at Oakland I did all 12 at once with the FSDO guy because he didn't want to go back to the office:D ) and that gets you legal to 100'. One thing, you have to be stable in the donut when you get in that last 50', the needle moves really fast.

Back