Marker Beacon Activation Distance

ARFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ARFlyer
What is the distance range on marker beacon audio activation?

Here lately I'm getting the Outer Marker from almost 2 miles away. It will stay a constant tone to almost 2 miles and then start glitching in and out.

Our planes have PMA7000B panels with the markers set on LO. The manual says that the distance on HI should only be about a mile.

So I'm wondering if there is an issue with our panels or if it's normal.

What is the distance range on marker beacon audio activation?

Here lately I'm getting the Outer Marker from almost 2 miles away. It will stay a constant tone to almost 2 miles and then start glitching in and out.

Our planes have PMA7000B panels with the markers set on LO. The manual says that the distance on HI should only be about a mile.

So I'm wondering if there is an issue with our panels or if it's normal.

Standard activation is for the lights to come on at a thousand (1000) microvolts. You have to be darned close to the transmitter (5 watts) for that to happen.

As for the AUDIO, it is receivable well before the lights come on, so saying you get the tone for 2 miles isn't the criteria. WHen do the LIGHTS come on?

Thanks,

Jim

Standard activation is for the lights to come on at a thousand (1000) microvolts. You have to be darned close to the transmitter (5 watts) for that to happen.

As for the AUDIO, it is receivable well before the lights come on, so saying you get the tone for 2 miles isn't the criteria. WHen do the LIGHTS come on?

Thanks,

Jim

Good point to know. Wasn't clearly discussed with my instructors. We would hear the tone well enough, but no one pointed out to observe when the flight would activate.

Perhaps someone switched the LO-HI sensitivity switch to HI? That would explain getting the light/tone sooner.

Perhaps someone switched the LO-HI sensitivity switch to HI? That would explain getting the light/tone sooner.

Like behind the panel?

I always make sure to return the switch to LO whenever I test the lights.

The real question should be is where do they still have marker beacons????

We've still got some at IAD though most of them have been decommissioned. They have one at LYH I know (not because I ever land there but my usual route of flight takes me close enough that it beeps away when I fly over).

What a timely thread. I have a PSE 8000BT and encountered this as well. The first time was a couple of months back and I picked up the marker beacon for an ILS in New York State. I was at least 4 miles from it and at 9000 feet! The marker beacon light did not come on, but I heard it.

Tonight, the same thing but for another ILS. This time I was closer ~3 miles but still at altitude. Strange.

In my neck of the woods they all seem to have been decommissioned.

Back