"Mark Forums Read" Updated Behavior

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
As has been discussed before, the way this forum software handles new threads causes a significant amount of confusion and takes too much effort on the behalf of the users (that's you :) ) to ensure that thread's are not marked read before they've actually been read.

To help address this issue, I've implemented a modification to the software which will give you the option to manually mark a forum read when you want, vs. when the software thinks its a good idea.

For those users who prefer the default behavior, that option still exists.

Here's how it works:
When you view the main forum list, at the top of the list of forums you will see two new links: QuickScan, and Mark ALL Forums Read.

The forum software now maintains a record of when you choose to mark forums read, on a forum by forum basis.

When you click "QuickScan", you will see a list of threads which have had posting activity since you last marked their container forum read. (Since this feature is new, the first time you hit QuickScan, ALL threads will be listed from all forums.)

When you are viewing the QuickScan list, you will see the option to mark individual forums read just under the forum name. Once you click that link, all threads in that forum will no longer appear on the QuickScan list. This only happens when you are viewing the "QuickScan" list.

The Mark ALL Forums Read link will, as it says, mark all forums read, so that no threads will appear in the QuickScan list until new posts are made in a thread after the time you clicked the Mark Forums Read button.

Using the Old Method if Desired
The former New Posts button is now called Active Topics, and the former "Mark ALL Forums Read" button is now "Mark ALL Active Topics Read". The Active topics list still works the same way the old New Posts list worked, with the 15 minute timer countdown to clearing the list of "Active Topics". The "Active Topics" buttons have no effect upon the new "Mark Read" system.

This is a new modification, so I'm getting to learn it's ins and outs along with the rest of you, but I have high hope that this will allow people to keep their unread threads "unread" for as long as they want now. :)

Now I've got to dash off to Ikea. :)

Chuck "Greebo" Haeberle
PoA.com Forum Hacker and general Troublemaker :)

Back