Mariposa approach, landing and takeoff in a C172SP - 63hr PPL

yah00

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Hey guys, just thought I would share a quick video I put together of my flight the other day. Flew from Fresno to Mariposa in the g1000 172SP.

There was supposed to be a very large tree just off centerline on final, so I stayed high on my bass to check it out. Once I saw it wasn't there I performed a slip to get down. Landed a bit long because of it, but given the surrounding terrain I would rather be high! Not to mention the uphill runway helps, and I have become very comfortable with how short I can stop safely in this plane.

Any input from more experienced pilots would be appreciated! I had 63.5 total hours when I took this flight. Thoughts? Suggestions? Constructive criticism? Just a low hour pilot looking for an experienced eye to give me some feedback on things I can improve.

Winds were fun up there!

https://youtu.be/FIu0f2n6HkY

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Mariposa! I have been there. Flew in to hike half dome. Too bad about the Pizza Factory - was it rebuilt?

Hmmmm, land on the centerline, climb at Vy, land uphill, depart downhill in light winds (if the hill is significant), didn't hear a GUMPS, didn't hear stall horn on landing, that slip was timid...

Didn't expect kid gloves didja? Ya did okay, outcome was never in doubt and you planned everything.

Hmmmm, land on the centerline, climb at Vy, land uphill, depart downhill in light winds (if the hill is significant), didn't hear a GUMPS, didn't hear stall horn on landing, that slip was timid...

Didn't expect kid gloves didja? Ya did okay, outcome was never in doubt and you planned everything.
Yeah like I said I don't mind criticism.

Centerline- yes, once I transitioned from the slip to landing I adjusted for the crosswind. I knew my runway position however chose to proceed with it given the circumstances.

Climb at VY- Every now and again it is fun to accelerate in ground effect (partial albeit) and then climb out, in this case VX due to rising terrain.

Landing uphill - check

Departing downhill- Having not had much experience with gradients of any kind, I wanted to experience the uphill departure. Also enroute winds were 210, then 290, then 230, then 310, finally reporting variable. 5-12kt, although it seemed to be gusting more than that. Being a low hour PPL with minimum tailwind departures, I opted to depart into the wind.

GUMPS- Always... The video starts with me two miles out clearing FF. Then I cut to where I am abeam beginning my descent from TPA. Once I am midfield on my downwind I perform a modified GUMPS check

Stall horn on landing- You got me there, although I was just shy of it. Generally I don't have a problem with that, but still am usually only on the second or third stall horn with my crosswind landings.

Slip- Sure it was a timid slip. New airport, stories of downdrafts near the base, and a crosswind. Generally in that plane I do my slips at full flaps, 60kt, and achieve around 1300fpm descent. Due to the crosswind I opted for more rudder authority and stuck with 20 degrees of flaps.

Keep them coming, no bruised ego here. A ppl is very much a license to learn, which is why I am here to begin with, right?

Appreciate the feedback.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Fair'nough. Slip into the crosswind....climb at Vy....really, climb at Vy in a single...zooms are for suckers...and when landing always have the centerline between the mains...if not, go around unless you're out of gas...

Back