Marine Aviation or Recreational?

etherbunny

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
etherbunny
Hi, everyone! This is my first post. I'm a senior B.S. Biology major, and have been pursuing a career in Anesthesia. A couple days ago, I visited our school's career fair for fun and was approached by a Marine recruiter who urged me to consider Marine Aviation.

I never considered aviation to be an option for me, as a job or otherwise. I'm not really sure why - but the second that he made it seem attainable, I haven't been able to get it off of my mind. I have never considered the military, and I've been quite committed to my path towards a career in anesthesia, so I've been conflicted the last few days.

My question to you guys is this: How cool is military aviation? Is flying military aircraft really worth the associated sacrifices and risks of being in the military? Or is recreational flying just as much fun - if not more?

In anticipation of some comments in replies - I think I have a personality that would find enjoyment and success in other aspects of the military besides just the being a pilot part. I'm really competitive and thrive in structure. So, it could be a good fit. But, the salary would be, at most, half as much as what I'd make going into health care. And I do have a husband and two small children, so the whole deployment and moving around all the time thing would be a major drawback.

I guess another way to frame the question is: Knowing how much you enjoy being a pilot now, do you ever wish you'd gone into military aviation?

Thanks!! I'd really appreciate any feedback or advice you may have!

There are MDs on the board quite knowledgeable about career paths in anesthesia. That covers a rather broad area, so more specifics are in order if you want advice that is in any way meaningful. There are former and current military aviators who can describe the life in some detail.

As far as being a military aviator, keep in mind that you could fly something and get shot at, shot down, and killed. I love flying, but wouldn't want to fly while getting shot at. I've had to fly when I don't want to, and didn't like it one bit. And I wonder what would become of you if you don't make it through aviator training. I doubt everyone does. The only thing worse than getting shot at in an airplane is getting shot at on the ground.

Then again, someone has to do this stuff, and I have unending respect for those who do. Welcome aboard.

There are MDs on the board quite knowledgeable about career paths in anesthesia. That covers a rather broad area, so more specifics are in order if you want advice that is in any way meaningful. There are former and current military aviators who can describe the life in some detail.

As far as being a military aviator, keep in mind that you could fly something and get shot at, shot down, and killed. I love flying, but wouldn't want to fly while getting shot at. I've had to fly when I don't want to, and didn't like it one bit. And I wonder what would become of you if you don't make it through aviator training. I doubt everyone does. The only thing worse than getting shot at in an airplane is getting shot at on the ground.

Then again, someone has to do this stuff, and I have unending respect for those who do. Welcome aboard.

Good points. All very true. Getting shot at (or shooting others for that matter) isn't exactly my idea of a good time. Thanks for the reminder of that! :D It's a small detail, lol.

Welcome to POA!!

First let me say that a military career is a very honorable path and I'd urge you to explore it further by speaking with Military Aviators current and retired and Military Physcians to see if that is an appropriate career path. My one concern is that While the miltary is as I said and honorable path that the recruiter could be blowing smoke up your keister.

I had a classmate that was told that he was a sure thing for Airforce aviation and ended up sitting in a missle silo for several years. He absolutley loved the military even though he may have been sold a bill of goods. There are a bunch of Vets on this board. I'm sure they will chime in soon enough with first hand advice.

Just make sure you do one or the other and stick with it. Where I went wrong is that I didn't specialize enough when I was your age. At the time, I was more interested chasing skirts and throwing good parties. Somehow I ended up in the corporate vortex. It hasn't been a bad run, but I could've done better.

Think about it - either way you're golden:

1. If you go anesthesia, it'll take you ten years but eventually you'll get to a place where you're making enough money to buy and fly most any plane a person could reasonably want.

2. If you go into the armed forces, you'll make huge sacrifices (and keep in mind that you'll only be flying where, when, and what you are told), but you may be flying planes and places the rest of us have never heard of.

All I know is that your best bet is to just commit to doing something, doing it well, and sticking with it. The rest will work out. Me? A big regret I have is that I never gave it a shot - wish I had gone into the Navy and at least tried to be a pilot of some sort. Too late now...

Welcome to POA and I love your name "etherbunny." My daughter just applied to a bunch of vet schools; I'll have to share that with her.

I was not a military aviator. The Air Force sent me to Offutt AFB for a flight physical, and I was 1/4" too tall sitting height. I have regretted not pursuing that further, or talking to the Navy, for the last 28 years.

That being said, have you thought about medicine in the military? I knew a man who went into the Air Force and went to med school on their dime. He became a cardiologist, and left the USAF's employ with zero debt and excellent training. I don't know if they still do that, but it may be worth a conversation.

Good luck to you.

1. If you go anesthesia, it'll take you ten years but eventually you'll get to a place where you're making enough money to buy and fly most any plane a person could reasonably want.

2. If you go into the armed forces, you'll make huge sacrifices (and keep in mind that you'll only be flying where, when, and what you are told), but you may be flying planes and places the rest of us have never heard of.

This is a good way of looking at it! Two misconceptions that I had until yesterday that kind of give another angle too: 1) I didn't realize that civilians could fly so many kinds of planes. 2) I didn't realize that in marine aviation, you specialize to 1 plane only. So, more flexibility by far going the civilian pilot route.

If you're already heading down the path for an MD, then I'd strongly suggest that you continue on that path, as a civilian or in the military. There are TONS of opportunities to fly TONS of different airplanes as a civilian or a military doctor. If you complete a career as a military aviator (or worse, don't complete the career), you'll be stuck competing with the military and civilian pilot population for a relatively small pool of jobs that don't pay all that well.

If you've got the smarts and skills and desire to be a doctor, I think you'll find that you can manage the flying side in your spare time (something you'll get after residency, I'm told).

The only other thing I would add is to keep your mind open as you enter medical school. You might just find something you like better than passing gas. I mean no offense, but I doubt seriously that you have a clear conception of all the career paths in the medical field, or where you best fit in. I know I didn't when I was your age. An open mind is one of the most powerful tools a student can possess.

In the equivalent time span that you would commit to military service, you can establish a good career in your professional field and fly anything you want to fly, whenver and wherever you want to go. BTDT (in business, not in medicine) and that's as good as it gets IMO.

I wish I had gone military out of school, but that ship has sailed. IF I had gone military, I would have gone to the Marines. Aviation wasn't in my scope at that time, so it was just a 'military' thing for me.

If you are considering military aviation, you have to ask yourself if you would be willing to deal with a military life if you weren't flying. Recruiters are salesmen - they'll tell you what you want to hear to get you to sign the papers. Once you've signed on the dotted lines, the recruiter's promises mean next to nothing. It would be an interesting statistic to know what percentage of current military personnel joined up because they wanted to fly something but are now doing something else, and not by their own choice.

Personally, if I were set up for a career path like you are on now, I would stick with it and end up with a career that would allow me to fly what I want, when I want, where I want. Not to mention the fact that if you want to relocate to a different part of the country, you don't have to *hope* that the military decides to send you there as your next assignment. My brother-in-law is active duty in the Army right now. Year before last, he had less than a week left on his assignment in Missouri and didn't know whether his next stop was Alaska or Georgia. That made it pretty difficult for him to plan for arrangements for his wife and kid.

That's what the career counselor told me, and actually complimented me for it. Except he said mine was vacuous, which I took to mean pretty much the same thing.

The only other thing I would add is to keep your mind open as you enter medical school. You might just find something you like better than passing gas. I mean no offense, but I doubt seriously that you have a clear conception of all the career paths in the medical field, or where you best fit in. I know I didn't when I was your age. An open mind is one of the most powerful tools a student can possess.

Welcome to POA and I love your name "etherbunny." My daughter just applied to a bunch of vet schools; I'll have to share that with her.

I was not a military aviator. The Air Force sent me to Offutt AFB for a flight physical, and I was 1/4" too tall sitting height. I have regretted not pursuing that further, or talking to the Navy, for the last 28 years.

That being said, have you thought about medicine in the military? I knew a man who went into the Air Force and went to med school on their dime. He became a cardiologist, and left the USAF's employ with zero debt and excellent training. I don't know if they still do that, but it may be worth a conversation.

Good luck to you.

Haha, your daughter might remember the term from Organic Chemistry - at least that's where I learned it. The ironic thing is that an ether kind of looks like bunny ears if you turn it upside down.

Anyway - I actually haven't given much thought at all to the military prior to this week, so this is all kind of new ground for me. But, I've heard that medicine in the military is very rewarding.

Sorry to hear that you were too tall for the air force! My husband has similar regrets for not pursuing the Navy or Marines to be a pilot, and this is one of the biggest reasons I've been trying to take the decision so seriously - as I'm 24 now and won't always have the opportunity.

Thanks for the input, and thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Very true. Although this is another long story, I actually am applied to nursing school to pursue nurse anesthesia directly - however .... medical school is still on my radar. The problem is that I have two small children, and I had made the decision that medical school was just too long and too time consuming for someone who already had a family. Then again - I'm sure the military would be the same experience, and if I'm considering that, then maybe I should consider medical school again. Why do life decisions have to be so tough? :idea:

Back in the late 80s, I was in the USCG. I'd been a paramedic before I enlisted and they had sent me for additional training - the end result was that I was qualified as a Physician Assistant at 22 years of age. They offered me a deal - they'd send me for the schooling I needed to complete a bachelors degree, then ship me into the US Public Health Service for Med school, and I would owe them one year of duty for every year of training I took. I did the math and concluded that by the time I finished a residency I'd owe them 6-8 years. I turned down the deal. I regret that to this day - it's one of the few "if I could do it over" moments I'd change. If I'd have taken the deal, I'd have been out of the service now, with a pension, and a medical degree, and I wouldn't have paid a dime for it. In fact, I'd have been paid as an officer from Day 1 of med school.

I don't know if they are offering similar deals now, but a military career in medicine would bear some serious consideration.

Very true. Although this is another long story, I actually am applied to nursing school to pursue nurse anesthesia directly - however .... medical school is still on my radar. The problem is that I have two small children, and I had made the decision that medical school was just too long and too time consuming for someone who already had a family. Then again - I'm sure the military would be the same experience, and if I'm considering that, then maybe I should consider medical school again. Why do life decisions have to be so tough? :idea:

Just saw this - military medicine might look even more attractive, since they pay you while you train. Whatever you do, it's important that your family is fully supportive. Best of luck with your choice.

The only thing separating all of us non-military pilots from flying military jets is cash.
The military might or might not let you fly their planes, but if you go into practice as a doctor, build a great practice, save your cash... there is a world of possibility. There are tons of hot military planes on the market (some guy flew his own F-4 into Oshkosh this year, along with some other guy in a Sea Harrier, and some others in BAC Strikemasters) and if you buy one for yourself, you fly it when and where you want and no one shoots missiles at you (hopefully).
Have you taken any flying lessons? Your first step might be to go up in a light plane or two and see if you love it. That way you're not putting the cart before the horse. For many of us flying is glorious, like a gnostic religion, and we love it and rise to the challenges. Many people find that they don't enjoy the stress and responsibility of flying, or flying just doesn't speak to them; this is why the majority of student pilots who take their training through a solo flight don't go on to get their private.
Really, though, both options sound pretty good. Good luck!

Good points. All very true. Getting shot at (or shooting others for that matter) isn't exactly my idea of a good time. Thanks for the reminder of that! :D It's a small detail, lol.
Keep in mind that if you join, you'd be a Marine first and a pilot second. You could find yourself assigned to a ground unit for a couple of years.

My two cents: The world needs you more as a medical professional than it does as an aviation professional. Case in point: I was scheduled for a knee replacement earlier this year with a pre-eminent orthopedic surgeon. The Haiti earthquake hit and I was rescheduled because he was on his way to help those who could not help themselves...I'm sure that the team he took with him included one or more anesthesiologists. Did they need pilots? Maybe...but not as badly as they needed doctors.

Every instructor on this board can tell you about the doctors they have flown with...doctors who could afford training and their own planes because of their professions.

I have no opinion one way or the other about military medicine...I'm just saying that what you are doing right now is far more valuable than a career in aviation.

Bob Gardner

The problem is that I have two small children, and I had made the decision that medical school was just too long and too time consuming for someone who already had a family.

If you already have two kids and you are concerned about the impact of medical school on them - that right there is a definite reason for you to look outside of the military, especially the Marine Corps. Deployments are getting longer and alot more frequent. With the possible exception of the Air Force, you are pretty much guaranteed to spend alot of time away from your family. I speak from experience - I'm Navy and while I thoroughly enjoyed my early years, the last few have been a definite challenge now that I am married with a kid and a second on the way. I used to enjoy deployments, but when you see the impact that your absence has on the little ones....pretty much saps all the fun right out of it.

Two kids??

IMHO? Forget the Marines. Going to med school would be tough enough with kids.

Good military recruiters can make you believe anything. Don't.

You all make very good points, and I probably could have never actually committed to going military for the reasons you stated. As for the medical school thing - it's a hard decision, and it's another topic altogether. But, in short ... if I go nurse anesthesia - I'm free to live my life in 4.5 years, and the salary is outstanding. Physician route would be even better salary-wise, but would take twice the amount of time to achieve. :dunno:

But, thanks again for all the input! You guys are a great group, I can tell. I contacted a friend of mine who recently earned his license, and he's excited to take my husband and I on a flight so we can see how we feel about flying and possibly pursuing getting our own licenses. So maybe one day I can come back and post as a "pilot of America." :)

You have already made an important life choice, a husband and two small children. Whatever career path you select should be secondary to them. My own opinion is that although life as a warrior might seem glamorous to an outsider, for the most part it is hurry up and wait, sheer boredom, interspersed with a few minutes of sheer terror now and then.

Your original plan in the medical field makes a whole lot more sense, considering what has already transpired in your life, than joining the military. You think about what would happen to the kids if you were killed, but few people think about the burden they can become on their loved ones should they become severely disabled.

As mentioned previously, as an MD, you should be in a position someday to fly whatever you want, whenever you want.

Why put yourself in harms way unnecessarily? If it is patriotism, you are worth much more to your country in medicine than you are as a decorated hero.

John

But, in short ... if I go nurse anesthesia - I'm free to live my life in 4.5 years, and the salary is outstanding. Physician route would be even better salary-wise, but would take twice the amount of time to achieve. :dunno: :)

Ok.. lets revise that timetable.. you will require close to 2 years to get your RN.. 4-5 semesters, even in a second baccalaureate program.

THEN.. you will need to obtain 1-2 years of hardcore ICU experience, preferably in a major medical center's ICU, (and if available, subspecialize in Cardiovascular or Neuro ICU, in a major teaching medical center). This experience is crucial to you developing the skills you need to be an effective and successful nurse anesthetist. If you have zero healthcare experience leaving nursing school (other than nursing clinicals) you will face a steep learning curve as a new grad in a tertiary level ICU. You will need to come across as a very strong applicant, and you will have your best opportunity if you have either worked in the unit as a tech/aide or do clinical rotations there. If you cant swing ICU as a new grad, you will have to work elsewhere until you DO get that ICU job then 1-2 years doing the ICU before applying to CRNA school.

THEN, once you have 1-2 years solid ICU nursing experience you can apply for a CRNA program, which most programs at that point are 24-36 months, during which time they will practically OWN you. Most programs only admit once a year, in the fall, and they tend to be in major population centers.

THEN you get the nice job making bank. Most likely with a limited scope of practice and significant physician supervision.

Med School is 4 years, followed by a 3-4 year residency, at which point you then enter practice, or subspecialize further. The downside is "the match". You put down your wish list, and the places you want to go put down theirs... If one of your top three choices accepts you, you match, and life is good. If not, you scramble, and then you get into whatever you can get into that is left over, doing whatever. You might have to choose between being a psychiatrist and a family practitioner. Since residencies are heavily funded by uncle sam, you only get one on their nickel.

Both pathways will result in you being home more than in military aviation. Not to mention the financial rewards later in life. The recruiter sought you out because it takes intelligence to manage the systems and fly the planes they have, moreso than just seat of the pants.

Last edited:
Hi, everyone! This is my first post. I'm a senior B.S. Biology major, and have been pursuing a career in Anesthesia. A couple days ago, I visited our school's career fair for fun and was approached by a Marine recruiter who urged me to consider Marine Aviation.

I never considered aviation to be an option for me, as a job or otherwise. I'm not really sure why - but the second that he made it seem attainable, I haven't been able to get it off of my mind. I have never considered the military, and I've been quite committed to my path towards a career in anesthesia, so I've been conflicted the last few days.

My question to you guys is this: How cool is military aviation? Is flying military aircraft really worth the associated sacrifices and risks of being in the military? Or is recreational flying just as much fun - if not more?

I'm a bit suspicious that you might be a troll based on your username and a few comments you made, but that's neither here nor there.

Having been in Marine Aviation myself, I'd say avoid it like the plague. Even post-tailhook, there's still an overwhelming male locker room mentality. If you end up in a bad work environment, there's almost nothing you can do about it. The chain of command will aways protect its self no matter what, and once you're there, it's real hard to get transferred out.

Only do it if you're a total masochist.

Having flown with a number of former military aviators I would say that unless your husband is willing to raise your kids singlehandedly for long periods of time that you should not go this route. I would also guess that anesthesia is a more promising career path than flying and I am a pilot. I would also guess it takes a lot more academic study.

I'm a bit suspicious that you might be a troll based on your username and a few comments you made, but that's neither here nor there.

Having been in Marine Aviation myself, I'd say avoid it like the plague. Even post-tailhook, there's still an overwhelming male locker room mentality. If you end up in a bad work environment, there's almost nothing you can do about it. The chain of command will aways protect its self no matter what, and once you're there, it's real hard to get transferred out.

Only do it if you're a total masochist.

It would be interesting to know which comments I've made that would lead you to believe I was a troll. Just because I am, in fact, a very real person and have been completely forthcoming about the real details of my life. And the name, as was discussed before, is in reference to a mnemonic I picked up in organic chem.

In any case, thanks for your perspective, it's especially valuable to me since you have the firsthand experience. I think I'm pretty much over the idea, it did seem very glamorous and exciting, but I think I just bought what the recruiter was selling. Which is easy to do, I think, from my perspective ... having been inundated with molecules and biosynthesis pathways for the last several years... getting pictures of jets shoved in my face elicited a bit of a primal response.

Both pathways will result in you being home more than in military aviation. Not to mention the financial rewards later in life. The recruiter sought you out because it takes intelligence to manage the systems and fly the planes they have, moreso than just seat of the pants.

I think your point is really driven home here. I was naively thinking that my family would just come along with me wherever I went in the military, but of course there are deployments. And really, like I said, the biggest reason I made the decision against medical school + residency was the fact that I didn't want to have to be away from my family so much. Even in undergrad, I am away a lot for studying, and the last thing I want to do is continue that lifestyle for longer than I have to.

For the timeline factor ... here is my breakdown. 18 months to BSN in local accelerated program. 1 year of ICU to meet minimum requirement. 24 month CRNA school (there are plenty to choose from that are this length.) With my 3.9 in B.S. Biology, I think I'd be competitive despite the minimum ICU. I have a lot of networking in place in local hospitals so I don't think it would be an issue to get into an ICU position right out of nursing school. For the physician route, I use a 3 year residency + 1 year internship as a reasonable timeline after 4 years of med school. Add 1 year for the fact that since I initially decided against it, I've missed this year's cycle of application and would have to sit out until next year's. But, I still haven't made my ultimate decision, really ... I still think about med. school in the back of my mind, each and every day. But I tell myself that it's mostly my ego, my desire for prestige, my desire for autonomy, etc. And that the best thing for my family as a whole would be for me to go CRNA. It's a tough decision, though.

You have two kids.

You already know how much time they take.

Keep that in mind.

... unless your husband is willing to raise your kids singlehandedly for long periods of time that you should not go this route.

Yeah, that is definitely not something that I want. At all. So it's out. I will say that one of the HUGE reasons that I considered this route though, in spite of the sacrifices, was that I have heard it is the best path toward having any chance at all of becoming an astronaut - which would just be amazing. I get goosebumps thinking about what it would be like to go to space. And realistically, I know there would be slim to no chance at all that I'd ever make it, but the fact that your odds are greatly improved by being a military pilot made the idea of being one a little more enticing. Then again, I know you can go science specialist route as well, so there's still that option. In fact, I suppose physicians with a PhD might be qualified as well, now that I think about it.

For the timeline factor ... here is my breakdown. ... 1 year of ICU to meet minimum requirement. ...

With my 3.9 in B.S. Biology, I think I'd be competitive despite the minimum ICU. I have a lot of networking in place in local hospitals so I don't think it would be an issue to get into an ICU position right out of nursing school.

You sound so much like me when I was finishing nursing school..

The following is meant to be informative, not critical:
Nursing school is to weed you out, not to really teach you to be a nurse. You truly learn how to be a nurse in your first nursing job, and not all nursing jobs are created equal.

Nor are all ICU's.. remember to seek out an ICU that deals with lots of invasive hemodynamic monitoring - swans, art lines, etc.. (not all do). These typically tend to be your teaching hospitals in major population centers

Do not expect to substitute strong academics in lieu of minimum experience. If anything, the clinical experience and judgment you develop in your ICU experience is what your career as a CRNA will be based on.

Any idiot can look at a patient in crisis and know they are in trouble.

What your mission is... is to gain the experience looking at your patient as well as every invasive value imaginable, to pick up on subtle trends, as well as develop the big picture on how everything ties in together. By noticing subtle trends, you can correct a problem before it becomes a problem. If you dont have significant patient care experience before beginning in the ICU, you will have a steep learning curve and it may take longer than one year. This cornerstone experience is the basis for your entire career - dont rush it or cut it short...

Also, check your application cycles with the schools. You may notice they start in the fall, and have admission deadlines in the Spring.. and you may need to have all your minimums accomplished before applying. Keep that in mind with the goal of just a minimum of one year experience.

And finally the most important question... why do you want to be a nurse anesthetist?

How cool is military aviation?
It is hard work, but the rewards make it worth the effort. You will find no better group of people anywhere in the world with whom to work. And there isn't much more fun in flying than being part of a 4-ship tactical formation flying low-level to the range at 500 knots and 200 feet.

Is flying military aircraft really worth the associated sacrifices and risks of being in the military?
For me, absolutely.

Or is recreational flying just as much fun - if not more?
The only time I've had near as much fun in recreational flying as I did in the military was when doing formation training with a bunch of weekend pilots.

In anticipation of some comments in replies - I think I have a personality that would find enjoyment and success in other aspects of the military besides just the being a pilot part. I'm really competitive and thrive in structure. So, it could be a good fit.
Sounds that way.

But, the salary would be, at most, half as much as what I'd make going into health care.
If money is your big concern, leave the military to others.

And I do have a husband and two small children, so the whole deployment and moving around all the time thing would be a major drawback.
The military requires dedication from the entire family. Unless your husband is willing to follow, and take on the major role of child caregiver (because you will be gone a lot), military aviation is not for you and your family. My wife gave up a lot during our 10 years together in the military.

I guess another way to frame the question is: Knowing how much you enjoy being a pilot now, do you ever wish you'd gone into military aviation?
I have no regrets about having gone that path. But I also had no doubts about my commitment to that calling.

Getting shot at (or shooting others for that matter) isn't exactly my idea of a good time.
I don't think anyone I ever flew with in the military would disagree that getting shot at is their idea of a good time, but it is a risk you accept if you sign up. And if shooting others bothers you, you're better served going the MD route. I used to sit alert with three nuclear weapons on my plane, and if launched, I would have incinerated several million people. If you can't live with that, again, go the MD route.

BTW, there is the option to do both -- get your MD, and become a military flight surgeon. You get the satisfaction of supporting the military mission, along with big bonus pay to make your salary issues less of a concern, and you get to fly in the unit aircraft once or twice a month just for fun. You still get shipped all over the world, but you generally don't get shot at, and you never have to shoot at anyone.

Last edited:
You have two kids.

You already know how much time they take.

Keep that in mind.

Ha and what do you know about raising kids:wink2::D

Seriously I just recalled that a friend who is an ortho doc went to the Uniformed Services Medical School ( The military's medical school) He enjoyed it very much and As a Navy Doc was assigned as a flight surgeon to a group of Marines, traveled the globe with them. Also as a flight surgeon he was also required to learn how to fly. So the Military taught him to fly helicopters. He picked helos because he knew he could get a fixed wing in the civilian world anywhere. He is now in his late fortys out of the service has a wife and two or three kids and a great ortho practice in Western Maryland.

Unless things have changed, not all Navy Flight Surgeons (and all Marine Flight Surgeons are Navy officers even if they wear Marine uniforms) go through full flight training. In my day, they got about 20 hours of flight training (through solo in the T-34) and then just orientation/fam flights in the aircraft flown by the unit to which they were assigned. They spent most of their time in the hospital, and dropped by the squadron only from time to time to see what was happening and to get their 1-2/month flights.

About two of those already-operational flight surgeons were selected each year to go back for full flight training including pilot wings, and then assigned as pilot/flight surgeons to operational units. Those folks spent most of their time in the squadron and flying, and went over to the hospital the rest of the time. CDR Dave Brown, who was killed in the Columbia accident, was one of those. Air Wing flight surgeon, then pilot training, then A-6 pilot (in my old A-6 squadron, VA-52), then picked as a mission specialist to do medical research in orbit in the Space Shuttle.

And finally the most important question... why do you want to be a nurse anesthetist?

I want to be an anesthetist because I love physiology and pharmacology, and science in general. I want a career that allows interactions with people on a daily basis, and one that allows me to use my skills and knowledge to make a positive impact on lives. I like responsibility. I like the fact that the biochemistry behind anesthetics is still not completely understood. I like the feeling of being in the operating room; the tension, the team work, the comradery, the mission.

I'm a twenty year retiree. I spent over half my career overseas. Kinda tough on family life. (in all honesty, two overseas tours were accompanied)

I understand that today's service person can expect to face multiple deployments during a career.

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A
2AZ1
CW-2 USA Ret
PH ARCOM

BTW, there is the option to do both -- get your MD, and become a military flight surgeon. You get the satisfaction of supporting the military mission, along with big bonus pay to make your salary issues less of a concern, and you get to fly in the unit aircraft once or twice a month just for fun. You still get shipped all over the world, but you generally don't get shot at, and you never have to shoot at anyone.

First, thank you so much for your in depth response to my original post. It is so interesting to get different points of view. I actually think that, if it weren't for having a family already, the military path would have been a great experience for me, and that I might have felt the same way you expressed you do.

And I appreciate you mentioning the option of flight surgeon - it's definitely something I hadn't thought about, and being more informed never hurts. Unfortunately, I think the issue for me would be more of being away from family than anything. :(

Although it is interesting that you say you had a lot more fun flying in the military. It seems to me this is the way it would be ... not sure why, exactly. Just because of the machines you're working with, or is it the comradery factor, or the importance of what you're doing - a cause larger than yourself? I imagine its all of the above.

<Snip> I used to sit alert with three nuclear weapons on my plane, and if launched, I would have incinerated several million people. If you can't live with that, again, go the MD route.

.[/QUOTE]

where the most damage you can do is to pick them off one at a time.:D

Although it is interesting that you say you had a lot more fun flying in the military. It seems to me this is the way it would be ... not sure why, exactly. Just because of the machines you're working with, or is it the comradery factor, or the importance of what you're doing - a cause larger than yourself? I imagine its all of the above.
Yup -- all that. But to be honest, when you're doing 500 knots at 200 feet or less, you're really not thinking about the cause.

BTW, an old buddy of mine from my A-6 days left the Navy and went back to school for his MD in his 30's, and is now an anaesthesiologist as well as a Naval Reserve medical officer one weekend a month and two weeks every summer (though not a flight surgeon). If you shoot me an email, I can try to get you talking to him about his perspectives.

Last edited:
Yeah, that is definitely not something that I want. At all. So it's out. I will say that one of the HUGE reasons that I considered this route though, in spite of the sacrifices, was that I have heard it is the best path toward having any chance at all of becoming an astronaut - which would just be amazing.

and who/where did you hear this? as an astronaut pilot, yes, you need military aviation. as a mission specialist, no. in fact as a MS, they'll teach you to fly.
I get goosebumps thinking about what it would be like to go to space. And realistically, I know there would be slim to no chance at all that I'd ever make it, but the fact that your odds are greatly improved by being a military pilot made the idea of being one a little more enticing. Then again, I know you can go science specialist route as well, so there's still that option. In fact, I suppose physicians with a PhD might be qualified as well, now that I think about it.

Actually, either an MD or a PhD is sufficient unless you're specializing in health-related issues that require both.

Next, the largest number of astronauts (current and past) have come from 1) military academies 2) Colorado (either CU-Boulder or CSU and don't laugh and look at the numbers) 3) everywhere else.

Third - do you really think there's going to be much recruitment for the Astronaut Corps in the near future? How about 5-10 years down the road? We need to wait until the current elections are over to get a better estimate (and any further discussion on this track requires moving to the Spin Zone)

Back