March PoA get together: Six Flags over Texas - Arlington

I've decided, with no outside influence whatsoever, this will take place on Saturday the 14th. I will probably fly down a day or two early, and leave a day or two afterwards.

I have empirical evidence that there was no outside influence. :no:

can you menaged though?

Sounds like fun. And I'll throw in a suggestion for Kirby's in Mexia for barbecue. Better than Hard 8 IMNSHO.

Sounds like fun. And I'll throw in a suggestion for Kirby's in Mexia for barbecue. Better than Hard 8 IMNSHO.

Kirby's is good. Ate there one Saturday after an unplanned arrival in Mexia. The place was busy with parking lot full and lots of folks sharing tables.

Kirby's is good. Ate there one Saturday after an unplanned arrival in Mexia. The place was busy with parking lot full and lots of folks sharing tables.

You're the review about the sick magneto? Mexia is only an hour north for me... may have to go check that out.

You're the review about the sick magneto? Mexia is only an hour north for me... may have to go check that out.

Sick mag? the ****er died and left me at partial power over a cloud layer. Inconsiderate basterd!

I've tried a lot of different BBQ places in Texas and the Hard 8 did not impress me too much to be honest. It doesn't even make the top 20 for me. Maybe at some time in the past before they became a chain it was good. It's okay, better than Dickey's I suppose.

I've tried a lot of different BBQ places in Texas and the Hard 8 did not impress me too much to be honest. It doesn't even make the top 20 for me. Maybe at some time in the past before they became a chain it was good. It's okay, better than Dickey's I suppose.

I think Hard 8 gets a lot of cred on a flying forum because of their collaboration w/ KSEP airfield. It is just dang convenient and it is a great location for pilots to congregate on.

I probably couldn't tell Dickeys from a McRib but Hard 8 has cool setup with the big bins and the smoke you can smell for a mile.

I like the food but I have no ability to rank it among others. But I am having spaghettios for dinner so the bar is not set very high for me.

You know, I agree that there are lesser and greater in the Barbeque world, but I generally enjoy all of them even if it's just to say I've tried it personally.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

You know, I agree that there are lesser and greater in the Barbeque world, but I generally enjoy all of them even if it's just to say I've tried it personally.

Ya know, every day the rub, the meat, the heat, and the smoke are a little different. I think it's necessary to sample them several times unless it's obvious that the management is indifferent. If it is grey, run away...if the fat isn't rendered out, run faster...

Sick mag? the ****er died and left me at partial power over a cloud layer. Inconsiderate basterd!
Ouch. At least they were able to help! I just hope somebody will be willing to lend me a hand if I ever end up in that situation.

Ouch. At least they were able to help! I just hope somebody will be willing to lend me a hand if I ever end up in that situation.

Waco approach was good and the guys on the ground at Mexia were great. The mag failure was a coil that was fine when cold but failed hot. After waiting for the IA to show up at Mexia, the coil was fine - had to run it awhile to re-create the failure.

Anyway, the guys at Mexia fixed it and I got home that night so all was good. I think that if I had landed anywhere else around there I would have been stranded until the middle of next week.

I think Hard 8 gets a lot of cred on a flying forum because of their collaboration w/ KSEP airfield. It is just dang convenient and it is a great location for pilots to congregate on.

I probably couldn't tell Dickeys from a McRib but Hard 8 has cool setup with the big bins and the smoke you can smell for a mile.

I like the food but I have no ability to rank it among others. But I am having spaghettios for dinner so the bar is not set very high for me.

Yeah I get that. I will fly somewhere for a mediocre overpriced hamburger that makes McDonalds look like haute cuisine :D. It's more about the flying experience than the eating experience.

I've decided, with no outside influence whatsoever, this will take place on Saturday the 14th. I will probably fly down a day or two early, and leave a day or two afterwards.

so who is arriving where and when? I'll show for the BBQ...

and if anyone wants to ride along from FTG, letmeknow. I don't accept expense contributions...

Last edited:
I dunno about the BBQ stuff or when people are arriving. I was going to come down a couple days early as a mini vacation. Friday night would probably be the best bet for BBQ since the park is open 10am to 10pm on Saturday. I plan on being there the whole day.

I'm in for post Six Flags group activities, but have no interest in slogging through crowds of teenagers on spring break.

I'm in for post Six Flags group activities, but have no interest in slogging through crowds of teenagers on spring break.

Easily half of hose teenagers will be female, and a substantial number will be older than teenaged, too. Ed likes that. :D

Do college kids really go to Six Flags on spring break? It certainly wasn't on my radar screen back when I was young(er) and stupid(er).

Breckenridge? Steamboat Springs? South Padre island? Panama City? Yes! All those were on the shortlist.

But Six Flags would never have crossed my mind.

Do college kids really go to Six Flags on spring break? It certainly wasn't on my radar screen back when I was young(er) and stupid(er).

Breckenridge? Steamboat Springs? South Padre island? Panama City? Yes! All those were on the shortlist.

But Six Flags would never have crossed my mind.

Teenagers not college kids

Who's ordering the PoA neon yellow team shirts from VistaPrint?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, there's an outside chance that I'll make it. (Consider that fair warning)

The plane should easily be out of annual by mid-week the week of. And I'm trying to set up an appointment with Efinger to re-rig it beginning the 16th or 17th. I could come down for the weekend and then do business with John. That'd be sweet.

Slim chance though because he stays busy...I pinged him the other day and again this morning but have yet to hear back.

We'll see!

Well, there's an outside chance that I'll make it. (Consider that fair warning)

The plane should easily be out of annual by mid-week the week of. And I'm trying to set up an appointment with Efinger to re-rig it beginning the 16th or 17th. I could come down for the weekend and then do business with John. That'd be sweet.

Slim chance though because he stays busy...I pinged him the other day and again this morning but have yet to hear back.

We'll see!

That's because John is busy catching up from a 5 day paid "vacation" to Deer Valley--he did my pre-buy and hung out with us in Phoenix, then flew back with us to the DFW area because he hates flying commercial.

This still on?

This still on?

I've been wondering the same...it's been quiet...

I can't make it though as I have a community betterment events, hosted by an organization I'm involved with, both this weekend and next.

Back