March PoA get together: Six Flags over Texas - Arlington

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
I have a plane, I need to fly it somewhere. I like roller coasters. I want some warmer weather. After talking to a couple DFW'ers they said "Yeah, that's a great idea!"

So, in March let's head to Six Flags over Texas. I'm planning on probably going into Grand Prairie. Which weekend would work for people? I'm going into annual at the end of March so the 28th is out. So I'm thinking the 13th-15th or the 20th-22nd.

Who would be in?

Sounds like fun. Don't know if my schedule will allow, but I'm subscribing.

Ryan

We have season passes, so I will say 6PC and the smaller versions of us are in. Or maybe we won't tell the kids & we'll ditch them with the grandparents so we can actually ride some of the non-cartoon character rides.

The only downside to the weekends you're picking are those are right at Spring Break, so the park will likely be packed. But if it's more about meeting up then making sure you get to ride every ride in the park, I think it will still be a fun time. Either of those weekends would work for us, as far as I know.

Keep me in the loop. It would be nice to hear how Nomex is doing....

Hmmm...sounds interesting. Don't know if my plane will be out of annual yet but, if not, then you'll just have to stop by and pick me up Ed! I'm only 25 miles or so out of your way.

Unfortunately, Uncle Lucius isn't playing in the area either of those weekends. Getting to see them in a smokey bar would've been a cool add on.

Hmmm...sounds interesting. Don't know if my plane will be out of annual yet but, if not, then you'll just have to stop by and pick me up Ed! I'm only 25 miles or so out of your way.

Unfortunately, Uncle Lucius isn't playing in the area either of those weekends. Getting to see them in a smokey bar would've been a cool add on.

I can absolutely do that!

Tagging to keep up.

That is the week of spring break so I might be able to go down there, assuming I'm not back in Tennessee working with my builder trying to finish up the house so we can sell it...I'm so ready for this to be done...

Hey this is a good idea. Ill keep a watch and will like to join.

I'm there if there is BBQ to be consumed. Not much for rollercoaster stuff though. Eat'n and drink'n are for me (not necessarily in that order and not necessarily in vast quantities but it's nice when it's an option).

I'm there if there is BBQ to be consumed. Not much for rollercoaster stuff though. Eat'n and drink'n are for me (not necessarily in that order and not necessarily in vast quantities but it's nice when it's an option).

Its Texas.....there WILL be some BBQ. Across the freeway from 6 flags there is a Dickeys BBQ. Not sure if that's what you want or you are looking more for a backyard style place.

Its Texas.....there WILL be some BBQ. Across the freeway from 6 flags there is a Dickeys BBQ. Not sure if that's what you want or you are looking more for a backyard style place.

Hard 8, Stephenville!

Dickeys is not BBQ. I'm willing to call it pseudo-smoked protein product served in a fast-food environment by BBQ adverse personnel.

Last edited:
I have a plane, I need to fly it somewhere. I like roller coasters. I want some warmer weather. After talking to a couple DFW'ers they said "Yeah, that's a great idea!"

So, in March let's head to Six Flags over Texas. I'm planning on probably going into Grand Prairie. Which weekend would work for people? I'm going into annual at the end of March so the 28th is out. So I'm thinking the 13th-15th or the 20th-22nd.

Who would be in?
Mary and I would be in, dang it, but that's Spring Break -- a sort of busy time for us. LOL

An aside: Is it warm enough to do 6 Flags in Dallas in March? That's 8 hours (really!) North of us, and they get real winter up there!

Dallas in March? That's 8 hours (really!) North of us, and they get real winter up there!

roflcat.gif

There is actually a BBQ place at Six Flags, though I can't vouch for the quality of it. Hard 8 is the best; we ate at the Roanoke location last night.

This is Texas, Jay. You should know that means it could be 90 or it could be 30. Won't know till the day of, and even then it could change! :lol:

Is it warm enough to do 6 Flags in Dallas in March? That's 8 hours (really!) North of us, and they get real winter up there!

8 hours to go 435 miles? Do you wear your black wrap around sunglasses as you're screaming down the interstate at 53 MPH?

B) <- (pretend they're black wrap arounds)

:goofy:

:rofl:

Give me 5.5 hours on the very outside. And no, I'm not just speculating...BTDT...I was all over the eastern half of Texas in a former job, especially the Brownsville to Dallas corridor.

There is actually a BBQ place at Six Flags, though I can't vouch for the quality of it. Hard 8 is the best; we ate at the Roanoke location last night.

I'm thinking we can't risk bad BBQ from an un-surveyed location. Either a scouting mission is required or alternate plans laid.

Roanoke is a hell-of-a-long way from Texas. Not sure I could stand the journey. Or maybe you weren't referring to Roanoke, Virginia?

8 hours to go 435 miles? Do you wear your black wrap around sunglasses as you're screaming down the interstate at 53 MPH?

B) <- (pretend they're black wrap arounds)

:goofy:

:rofl:

Give me 5.5 hours on the very outside. And no, I'm not just speculating...BTDT...I was all over the eastern half of Texas in a former job, especially the Brownsville to Dallas corridor.

Uh huh, right. You're AVERAGING 80 mph?

Anyone who has driven to Port A from Dallas knows you can make it in six hours, if you can drive in the middle of the night, without a break. However, a normal drive during daylight hours, with bathroom and meal breaks, is 8 hours, SOLID.

Which is beside the point: Ain't no one going to Six Flags in March, with average temps from 46 to 72 degrees. Have fun on those water rides! :yikes: :wink2: :wink2:

https://weatherspark.com/averages/30025/3/Dallas-Texas-United-States

You guys MIGHT consider Six Flags in San Antonio.

Dickeys is not BBQ. I'm willing to call it pseudo-smoked protein product served in a fast-food environment by BBQ adverse personnel.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: In a decade I never had decent BBQ ribs in TX that I didn't make. Ribs should not be softer than mashed potatoes.:nonod::nonod::nonod:

:rofl::rofl::rofl: In a decade I never had decent BBQ ribs in TX that I didn't make. Ribs should not be softer than mashed potatoes.:nonod::nonod::nonod:

If y'all ever get down to our neck of the woods, there is a great, unassuming little BBQ place about five minutes from our hangar at T.P. McCampbell Airport (KTFP), called simply "Joe's BBQ".

It's a little joint, but Joe does an amazing job -- every bit as good as anything I've had at the famous Texas BBQ places, and a whole lot handier. Better yet, he serves everything on a plate, to your table, instead of the more traditional butcher paper at the counter.

Which is beside the point: Ain't no one going to Six Flags in March, with average temps from 46 to 72 degrees. Have fun on those water rides! :yikes: :wink2: :wink2:

I think we went 3 times last March. Six Flags is way better when it's not burning hot. We just skip the water rides till the summer -there's only about 4 of them anyway.

We do want to try the one in San Antonio this year. We've never been, and our passes are good there too. :yesnod:

I forget what name it was, but north of Dallas, maybe in the Irving area there was a BBQ place in an industrial/business park area. Seemed a little high end for a BBQ place, but it was pretty damn good. Pit was at the front door, get your meat, head inside to get the sides and self serve beans were in the back near the drinks.

Best I ever had in TX was Rudys in San Antonio. So there is my baseline.

I forget what name it was, but north of Dallas, maybe in the Irving area there was a BBQ place in an industrial/business park area. Seemed a little high end for a BBQ place, but it was pretty damn good. Pit was at the front door, get your meat, head inside to get the sides and self serve beans were in the back near the drinks.

That's likely Hard 8 BBQ
one in Roanoke, Stephenville (The pilot one)
and one in Coppell (probably the one you are describing

attachment.php

Yeah, I'm guessing Hard 8 Coppell. Hard 8 is the best I've had, and Rudy's is second. Only Rudy's I know of around here though is in Denton, which is really far from Arlington.

Hmm. Too bad the 28th is out. I will be in town for SMU starting the 25th.

So what's the consensus on the date? I'd be interested in trying to work the logistics needed from here for us, but Karen doesn't do roller coasters at all so we could hang out and eat like Clark. Heh.

With the whole Spring Break thing, finding someone or someplace to board the dogs might make it difficult to make this a hop in and go trip.

Thinking about it. Might be in the middle of ripping apart the office network and doing the weekend work thing right about then. Waiting to see the lead times on the new firewalls right now. Order is in, no delivery date given yet.

Those that want / need are welcome to crash at my place after. I have spare rooms and am not too far.

Beers and cards against humanity with POA folks might prove to be pretty damn hilarious.

There's a TX STOL roundup in Llano April 11,12,13 if plans here fall through ... :)

TexasSTOLRoundup_BCP.jpg

I live a right by the Hard 8 in Coppell. We're pilots with planes right? We could also go down to Llano?

Those that want / need are welcome to crash at my place after. I have spare rooms and am not too far.

Beers and cards against humanity with POA folks might prove to be pretty damn hilarious.

I'm in!

Seriously though, we are happy to host. We can probably even dump the kids off with the grandparents for the night, so that leaves us with 3 spare rooms and several couches.

Only stipulation is EdFred is not allowed to bunk with 6PC. :nono:

Only stipulation is EdFred is not allowed to bunk with 6PC. :nono:

While understanding your position (dibs and all) and while not wanting to seem overly critical and with the interests of the POA "family" in mind (who by and large are generally okay people except for a few who I will be happy to name but the ****s know who they are), perhaps you could have let Ed down just a little bit easier? Down deep, Ed is good people and a very sensitive guy (which is why he should be buried at sea when his time comes) and perhaps he deserves just a little consideration when a crush is upon him. Just remember, the crush will pass and you'll get to enjoy a little alternative action once it is over...

Hmmm. I'm going to be in TX the weekend of the 6th-8th...

In fact, maybe I need to meet up with some of you on the 8th at KSEP for lunch on the way home...

I've decided, with no outside influence whatsoever, this will take place on Saturday the 14th. I will probably fly down a day or two early, and leave a day or two afterwards.

Back